Project toy... Mk2 Golf 20v T

Well well well..... here we are again!

I still have the Transporter ( not much changed yet though, still waiting on LMK getting engine back in an sorted!) But have also started buying/selling/breaking cars again....

First off was a mk2 golf 16v which cost me peanuts, new fuel pump, couple panels and a polish and she's awaiting collection from her new owner, and im awaiting a healthy profit :)

Then i picked up another 2 mk2 golf 16vs in a nice rare colour ( Helious blue :) ), originally i was going to put them both back on the road and make a rather large profit, but then i decided i wanted another toy....
So 1 is going back on the road, and the other one is my new project car.

She's a 1989 3 dr Helios blue small bumper 16v shell in VERY good condition. she's had paint at some point in her life and up close theres a few marks here and there, but no rust to talk about and more importantly she's never been ( nor does she need) welded.

Plan with this one is simple. Road legal track car powered by a 1.8 20vT engine. Am going to Aim for a kerb weight of 850kgs from the original 960kgs, with the engine putting out around 225bhp and 220ft/lb torque, so around 270bhp/tonne. should make for good fun whilst keeping things a touch more civilised in terms of getting the power down!

Made a start on her yesterday:

Removed:
seats
Headlining
Seatbelts
Carpets
All Trims
Dash
Wiring ( all bar fuel pump loom)
Heater matrix, blower motor etc
Soundproofing/insulation
Cut dash in half ready to take mould to make fibreglass dash pod
Bought set of period 5 spoke Stilauto alloys ( may not clear the brakes though....:lol:)

To Do|Buy/Fit:

90 Spec CE2 fusebox and wiring for all non engine components.
VR6 Subframe and rear beam, 288mm brakes,ABS system, 22mm M/C,Braided lines, Groved discs and fast road pads.
Front to be fully polybushed, New Standard OE VR rear bushes.
Solid front engine mount
Anti roll bars front and rear
Strut Braces front and rear
Coilovers
AUQ/AUM 180bhp KO3s 20vT engine running OEM management (with remap to 220-230bhp, 300+ft/lb)
G60 Gearbox using uprated VR6 Clutch and Lightened/balanced G60 flywheel
Seat Hydraulic to cable clutch conversion cable
Audi 80 2.0 Throttlebody
Fibreglass wings, bonnet, bootlid
Polycarbonate Windows all round exc windscreen
Pair seats and Harnesses
And probably lots more small bits along the way...

Updates will come as and when i get round to working on the car, this will not be a quick build, prob take me at least 6 months in between working on the cars i sell, my van, being a dad of 2 and generally getting moaned at by the wife!

Pictures Monday when i do some more work!

Can't wait for the pics. Life is never dull with Pikey around.

Thats the problem mate, my motoring life is FAR too dull atm! no T4 here to work on, and driving around in a crappy Astravan is hardly setting my world on fire! :sad2:

Pics an updates monday :)

Should be a good track toy, those engines, when sorted, are very capable of producing 300 easily and very smooth delivery too. That will keep you busy.

Iv driven a 290bhp mk2 20vT and there was nothing smooth about it. Gentle acceleration in 4th @ 30mph = wheelspin.

Im sticking at 220ish bhp out of choice, i simply dont want the extra hassle and expense of any more power in such a small light FWD car. Id rather have useable power than bragging rights down the pub!

To be able to use more power id need to convert the car to 4wd with a combination of Haldex and syncro parts, monster clutch, LSD etc etc, all very doable, but not the route im going to go down unless the haldex/syncro bits just happen to fall into my lap at a reasonable price!

Reyland do those conversions for MG ZRs and ZSs and the last ZS was just over 300 and from the videos seen was very smooth out on track, but then Reyland don't do things by halves. Those were fwd as well. Going 4wd is nice but loses you too much through the transmission.

But then the whole point of going 4wd is that i can run much more power than i could if it was fwd, so really id only be losing "extra" power that i wouldnt have had in the first place! :)

ZS and Zr's are completely different cars too a mk2 golf though. and most ZR/ZS are wearing 19x8" rubber, giving a much larger footprint than the 15x7 that suits the mk2 so well. Believe me iv had everything from 13s to 18s on a mk2,5" wide to 9" and varying offsets and nothing handles better than a 15x7 at ET25. unfortunately, such small wheels really dont like having gobfuls of power put through them!

Tbh anything Reyland does will always work well, comparing what they and i do is like comparing a doodle i drew of some boobs to the mona lisa!

unfortunately, such small wheels really dont like having gobfuls of power put through them!

Tbh anything Reyland does will always work well, comparing what they and i do is like comparing a doodle i drew of some boobs to the mona lisa!

Where do you get these sayings from? :lol::lol: May I borrow them? :)

Sorry for lack of update guys, My little girl had another Seizure on monday so ended up in hospital with her for last few days. She's home now though and almost back to her normal self, just waiting on more test results and things being back to normal before i contemplate leaving her and her mum alone for any more than 10mins!

I hope they get her sorted, this must be a big worry for you. Send my warm regards and best wishes.

Very sorry to hear that about your little girl :sad2: Sending you warm regards and best wishes also!

Cheers for the kind words fellas.

She suffers from whats called Febrile convulsions, 1 in 30 kids do and its actually a lot more common than the figures suggest. Basically when an infection flares up in your body, your brain raises your body temperature to try and kill off the infection, the 1 in 30 kids cant cope with this so their brains shut down into a seizure to lower the temperature.
Now normally what happens is that after 5mins or so, they come out of the seizure and cool down and all is well again. unfortunately 1 in 10 of the 1 in 30 kids cant do this and stay in a seizure for longer. well my little girls seizures last until such a time as Diazepam is given to lower the temp and bring her out of it. the first time it happened she was with her grandparents and they didnt know what was happening, so she was in a seizure for an hour and 45mins. this time i knew what was going on and did everything i could to lower her temp, but it was still over an hour before the doctors decided there was no chance she was coming out of it by herself. Its unfortunately just one of those things that we have to learn to live with and be ready for, but the bright side is she should grow out of them by the time she's about 6yrs old, and so long as we react appropriately there should be almost zero chance of any brain damage etc.

So, now that iv brightened all your days with that lovely cheerful explanation.....! :lol:

I moved the car yesterday to its new home, ie my garage of love!

didnt have time to do any work on her, but i have a week off next week so should manage to get some bits done/pics in between working on the other 2 money makers.

I have had a mould made of the roof, so a mate will be making me a fibreglass roof for her when he gets the spare time. this will a) reduce the weight by around 10kgs inc binning the elec sunroof, and b) lower the cars centre of gravity, meaning she will handle better :)

i have also ordered the 3mm polycarbonate sheet from which i will be cutting my new windows, Poly weighs half as much as the equivalent thickness in glass, and by dropping down to 3mm from the 4mm glass i should save a touch extra :)

have also managed to dig out a full 90 spec CE2 fusebox and loom setup, which should make the conversion even easier :)

Today sourced a Large port Audi TT ARY 20vT head, along with inlet manifold,2x KO4 turbo's, a manifold, loom etc.... all i need now is an BAM bottom end for the forged crank and 20mm pins, and ill have an engine thats capable of 290 bhp. so sticking with my original target of around 230bhp it should be Mega reliable :)

Also sourced G60 gearbox with LSD, VR6 flywheel, mk3 VR6 widetrack subframes, hubs, brakes, steering rack etc etc

Halfway there component wise :)

I know i know, wil have some today, gonna put some rear suspension in the old girl so i can actually move her in and out of the garage easily, instead of having to try and lift the car clear of the rear wheels and push it out, not easy! lol

will take a looksie at yours now fella, seeing as my lil angel decided to get me out of bed at 6am today, i have some free time ;)

I know i know, wil have some today, gonna put some rear suspension in the old girl so i can actually move her in and out of the garage easily, instead of having to try and lift the car clear of the rear wheels and push it out, not easy! lol

will take a looksie at yours now fella, seeing as my lil angel decided to get me out of bed at 6am today, i have some free time ;)

Looking forward to seeing those pictures as well ;) I hope the new business venture is doing ok btw PM :)

Cheers guys, struggling at the mo tbh, let a mate come in on these cars with me and i really shouldnt have cos im doing myself out of a grand and its me doing all the hard work!
ah well....

Today i painted these ( well, 3 of em), from this:

2011-04-18150203.jpg

to this:

2011-05-03143033.jpg

then i chucked em on this :)

2011-05-03172145.jpg

As you can see iv removed the bonnet and bootlid ready for the fibreglass replacements, and started stripping down the front ready to pull the measly 140bhp 16v engine.

Here's just some general shots to show the condition of the shell:

2011-05-03172155.jpg

2011-05-03172202.jpg

2011-05-03172236.jpg

2011-05-03172225.jpg

2011-05-03172247.jpg

Note the masses of crap inside the car, everything i removed has been piled back in until i organise the garage a bit better!

Dash chopped down, almost ready to take a mould from, just some final tweaking required:

2011-05-03172309.jpg

And thought this would make you all laugh, brake are semi seized due to sitting for 6yrs, so this is how i move it back into the garage....

Take one tyre:

2011-05-03172505.jpg

and push!

2011-05-03172625.jpg

so yeah, not masses done, but at least you have some piccies to look at now!

Am away rest of this week, but hopefully ill squeeze a few hours in on this next week, although the money earners naturally have to take priority. Im in no rush with this one, to be totally honest i cant afford to be! Even the mighty T4 is taking a back seat for next few months :(

But you know where it is if you do want a tinker now and again lol, the shell is nice and clean, no rust issues at all which is quite rare these days, what are you going to do with the dash?

Dash has been chopped in half, am going to chop it down more and then filler it up until i have a pod shape im happy with, then going to make a mould and from that make a fibreglass dash pod. was quite surprised at how heavy a mk2 dash feels ( never taken one out before) so should save another couple kgs with the fibreglass one :)

Shell is as close to perfect as it gets tbh. Its almost a shame to turn it into a road legal track car, as a good helious blue mk2 is a 2k+ car. But it only cost me £250 for the car,which i made back in parts very quickly, so the shell was free :) so im not fussed!

That looks spanking mate! Nice find, I've never been a big VW fan but I do have a soft spot for the Mk1 and 2 golf, mate of mine had a Mk1 clipper cabby for a while it was a 1.8 8v carb, we replaced the carb with a webber replacement one which happend to be bigger, it was so nice to drive, not the quickest but it was so egar to please, the throttle responce was awesome, well it would be compared to my old turbo diesel!

So yeah.... I'm jelious..... you jammy bugger!!

Haha cheers guys.

She is nice, but she will be nicer :)

I had a cabby too, put a valver in it an sold it lol wish i still had it!

Tiny update on this. finally got a free day, so decided to have the old engine and box out along with all the wiring.

2011-05-11191930.jpg

Then made a start on prepping the engine bay for a new coat of black paint, i did more than the photo, but you get the idea!

2011-05-11191935.jpg

Also had chance to properly check out the car for any rust underneath...... NONE! :) and i mean absolutely nothing. rear beam and front subframe etc all have surface rust, but the car itself is mint. so, to make sure she stays that way i slapped some underseal on her

2011-05-11191952.jpg

Also, the Satin black i painted the wheels decided it didnt want to take properly, and has crazed up. I actually really like the look of it! but unfortunately i only painted 3 wheels, so you can guarantee the next one wont come out like the rest!

2011-05-11191909.jpg

So thats pretty much it for todays update.

Next up im going to drop the gear linkage and shifter out, remove the brake servo and master cylinder etc ready for some new paint, and when i get the car in a comfortable position, ill drop the front subframe and wishbones off and give them a lick of paint too, along with new Poly bushes.

Also got my wishlist together on ebay, new Eibach anti roll bars front and rear, grooved and drilled discs with fast road anti fade pads, OMP strut braces front and rear, 40L fuel cell and plenty more besides!

Long way to go, but at least i have a clear picture in my mind of what i want to achieve and how to go about it :)

Looks cracking mate (pun intended :lol: ), maybe I should have painted up all my stuff while it was all off, but theres time and it's in good nick now so in the future will be on my to do list.

Seriously though, I do like the "crappy" paint on the wheels it shoudl suit the style of the car well, maybe you should rough the body up a little as well to make it look "well loved"

Hell no! :lol:

Body is staying just as it is fella, theres a couple of tiny marks here an there to give it some character, but im not gonna make it worse! lol

If i can figure out why the paint crazed, ill redo them all, but use glow in the dark paint as theh base coat, and the black over the top.... would be pretty trippy at night! :lol:

right my sensible 220bhp target has gone out the window....

250-260bhp is the new target ( i want to play with Evo 6's ;) ) and well within reach with the setup im going for. Ill just have to launch in 2nd! haha

have an AQJ big port head, KO4 turbo and manifold, 400cc injectors, Forged AGU bottom end, well matched i/c and Forge 007 DV and a remap, will see 250 nice and easy :)

Im married, and at the mo, basically unemployed!
Gotta get a shufty on and get cars sold and ill be laughing again though!

Parts were too cheap to say no to. paid £450 for AQJ big port head, ko4 turbo, manifold, oil lines etc, full wiring loom, coil packs, ecu's, BAM inlet manifold and few other bits. If i split it all down and sold it on id be expecting £800 + back for that litle lot.
AGU bottom end is waiting for me to pick it up from a mate, £100. :)

So all i need engine wise is intercooler and boost hoses, larger MAF, downpipe.

Plus a gearbox and driveshafts to suit.

still not going to be rushing anything though!