Pikeys Golf Cab project

spent about 1800 on the mk1 so far, but then that is since late august.

next year she'll be getting a respray (not that she needs it) and a 20vT conversion, with some more engine mods. Im budgeting 5.5k next year.

but the predicted stats look very nice indeed...

Power at Flywheel (BHP) : 350
Weight without Driver (KG) : 968
Power to Weight Ratio (BHP Per Ton) : 367.37
0 - 60 (Secs) : 4.21
0 - 100 (Secs) : 9.28
60 - 100 (Secs) : 5.06
Quarter Mile (Secs) : 12.46
Terminal Speed (MPH) : 115.91
Drag Strip Quarter Mile (Secs) : 12.26
Drag Strip Terminal Speed (MPH) : 118.07

12.3 Quarter in a mk1 convertible??? yes please! :)

Re: How much have you spent modding your car?

not entirely sure yet tbh, im thinking T25 ceramic hybrid, allegedly they are up there with the least laggey turbo's going, which is a big issue for me, i HATE lag.
thinking ill start with an AGU, as ill be replacing the rods/pistons/turbo/manifolds/injectors/everything anyway. plus its cable instead of DBW, which should make dropping it into a mk1 a little easier.
if you have any recommendations on hitting 350 comfortably and reliably, please feel free to pm me. :)

You can't have a big turbo without some lag. It's a trade-off. GT28RS would be ideal for you if you'll settle for 350bhp. Once you've chosen your turbo it's the rest of your spec and your driving that defines the lag. Expect to see full boost at below 3k on a good setup. That's NOT laggy!

I dont neccessarily want a big turbo, i want one that can comfortably deliver 350bhp, with the minimum lag possible.
The T25 ceramic hybrid was recommended by someone i know, the specifics will be researched more over the coming months until i start buying bits ready for the conversion at the end of next summer.

I'd go with what MA says. I read up on T28's for an upgrade for my Ti. They handle more Bhp but have the same spool up time as a T25.

like i say, i have a LOT of research to do before i do anything. i may well just drop an AGU engine in, remap it with ko3s and be done with it. that'd be 240bhp straight out the box with no reliability issues, and no need to uprate internals. although the figures wouldnt be quite as impressive. but saying that, over 240ish brake and im gonna need to fit an LSD and seriously go to town on the chassis. decisions decisions!

240 might be pushing reliability it a bit on the 03s

see alot go down the GT28 route with a couple of companies actually making a direct swap in place of the 03/s so it just injectors, 3" maf, downpipe, better cooler, and custom map more or less

not looked into it that much as im not going crazy.
have a look on seatcura.net as they have a section on big turbo tuning. granted there are some who are / hae got to 600hp

no and i dont see it ether way too much even with the LSD.
i maxed out the dyno it was being tested on. then managed around 2 laps before the head went.

(going to move this to a new thread as its now slightly of topic)

Have you had a chat with the guys at Awesome GTi? They have turned out some lovely engines. I'll be watching this thread with interest!

Dump the DMF ASAP though!

There is one other engine you could think about which would put you in the line for a rear wheels drive 20vT hehe. Try and think about getting hold a Audi Coupe S2 engine. 2.2 turbo :) Plus these can be taken way past the 400bhp very easily aswell and if you were to think about the Coupe or A3 quattro system you could actuall go for a 4x4 then you are talking silly spec lol. But just look at the spec of yours if it was rear wheel drive with 350bhp:-

0 - 60 (Secs) : 3.64
0 - 100 (Secs) : 8.50
60 - 100 (Secs) : 4.86
Quarter Mile (Secs) : 11.89
Terminal Speed (MPH) : 118.29
Drag Strip Quarter Mile (Secs) : 11.79
Drag Strip Terminal Speed (MPH) : 119.67

And this is what it would be if you quattro'd it :mrgreen:

0 - 60 (Secs) : 3.14
0 - 100 (Secs) : 8.44
60 - 100 (Secs) : 5.30
Quarter Mile (Secs) : 11.79
Terminal Speed (MPH) : 118.17
Drag Strip Quarter Mile (Secs) : 11.39
Drag Strip Terminal Speed (MPH) : 122.36

I'd seriously think about that though mate ;)

spent about 1800 on the mk1 so far, but then that is since late august.

next year she'll be getting a respray (not that she needs it) and a 20vT conversion, with some more engine mods. Im budgeting 5.5k next year.

but the predicted stats look very nice indeed...

0 - 60 (Secs) : 4.21
0 - 100 (Secs) : 9.28
60 - 100 (Secs) : 5.06
Quarter Mile (Secs) : 12.46
Terminal Speed (MPH) : 115.91
Drag Strip Quarter Mile (Secs) : 12.26
Drag Strip Terminal Speed (MPH) : 118.07

12.3 Quarter in a mk1 convertible??? yes please! :)

You know you can get around 300 bhp and 350 lb/ft of torque without having to upgrade the internals on those engines.....for 50 bhp i wouldn't bother rebuilding the engine but upwards of say 380 then hell yes...lol

really depends on the age.
safe limit on some is 300 with 350 being seen as the limit before issues but the later models are actually weaker with some only managing 300 and starting to have issues

You know you can get around 300 bhp and 350 lb/ft of torque without having to upgrade the internals on those engines.....for 50 bhp i wouldn't bother rebuilding the engine but upwards of say 380 then hell yes...lol

Don't forget you're compromising reliability all the time too. It's not a case of 300bhp it'll be fine and 310 it'll break, it don't work like that. As Pgarner said it depends on a number of factors including engine condition. If you're running the internals to their limit it only takes something small to go wrong like a sensor or something and bang before you know it you're staring at a rod through the side of your block :lol:

Well, didnt realise i had a project thread for this! :lol:

All this talk of turbo's and 4wd is making me excited....

BUT,

I have to finish her current incarnation first! and actually get some use out of her through spring/summer, then when it gets to august time, rip it all out and start again!

anywhoo, heres some random pics of the build so far, she's almost at the MOT ready stage. Just a few wiring bits and bobs to sort, brake lines to fit and she's away.

when i got it, complete with horrendous alloys, faded mismatched paint etc;
P141901_17-08-09.jpg

old engine out:
P1951_24-08-09.jpg

new one going in:
P1618_01-09-09.jpg

retro cool anyone?
012-1.jpg

not to everyones taste but suits the car with the rest of the little touches:
014-1.jpg

and the wheels i've just refurbed, look million times better in the flesh!
P1303_02-12-09.jpg

updates will be slow over xmas due to lack of time, but she should be on the road in january so will have all the specs/pics then once she been finished and RR'd.

Dean

not so much about it feeling better when it comes to wheels, more a case of i dont see why i should pay someone else £200+ to do a marginally better job than i can do myself! :lol:

but Cars on the whole, Definately nothing better than taking it for a drive knowing you did everything to make it what it is.
I have done everything on this car, from paint/bodywork (minor admittedly), interior swap, engine conversion, brakes, coilovers, and anything else in between.

Its very nearly finished, i need a few days on it and she'll go in for test, all thats left to do is:

1. finish wiring in new engine and fuel pumps
2. fit new exhaust manifold and system
3.fit braided brake lines
4. smooth off pass wing mirror
5. finish painting badges and fit
6. another couple coats on bumpers, flat,polish and fit
7. refit bootlid

That will see it useable and MOT'd. I can faff about with last few details after that.
at the moment its more a case of finding the time, and to be honest im in no real rush.
weather is crap, and the whole point of a convertible is to have some top down fun in the sun!

Once its finished and tested i can adjust the coilovers to where i want em ( wont make it on test ramp else), approx -110mm front and -100mm rear, get paintwork polished up properly and THEN il take some proper pics for you all.

NIGHTMARE TIME..............

i have to SELL the golf! :(

mrs is making me, apparently us owning 3 cars and a van is excessive?! WTH?!

although she has a point, the money it ill cost to insure the golf, legally with engine conversion and mods declared and the lock up fees to keep it safe overnight, ill be looking at £200 a MONTH plus fuel etc to drive it maybe 4 times a month.

So the sensible man in me went out an bought a sensible family car, Saab 900.

sorry but no feature on the golf now waynne.

Damn having 2 kids and responsibilites :lol:

Shame it was fun while it lasted!

Saab 900 project thread next then:D Is it the 2.0 Turbo engine? The heaters are ridiculously good in all the Saab's i've been in.

lol saab wont be much of a project. new wheels, 9-5 viggen interior, lowered slightly and a zorst and filter. thats about as far as i want to take it, being family car an all.

its the 2.0 n/a. didnt want a turbo as more chance of things going bang, especially considering the way i drive!

shame the project came to an end!! i really liked it apart from the checkered bonnet. but when needs are a must these things happen. but im sure you will get a bigger and better project in the future when funds and time allows!!!

not even RWD waynne! was looking at BMW 328i's but the mrs said i should get FWD as theres less chance of me killing myself.... :lol:

she knows me so well!

We got engaged yesterday too BTW, so now i have a wedding to save for too! :( :)

Congrats on the engagement mate, I wish you both every happiness. Buy her a modified Golf Mk2 project, she'll get the modding bug and your plans will be unhindered.

well im pickin up the mk2 today, its either a profit car or i keep it, not sure which yet, its paintwork has seen better days, and needs new pads/discs on front. apart from that, looks pretty solid tbh.

see what i think when i pick it up later