project rat car.

This project will be done over the course of 3 years. once finished it will be used for every day driving and the track. this will be done on a budget £5500 to £6000.

at the moment ive taken most of the sound proofing and interior out for better power to weight ratio.

Last edited by a moderator:
DSC00853.jpg
. did some today work finished taking the sound proofing out. i didnt realize there was any behind the dashboard. next week take the heating ducts out. and start taking the engine out.

Last edited:
Are you taking the heater and piping out. Remember to keep a demister of sorts. I found a really good micro unit to replace my standard heater unit.
heater.jpg

yep. i will be taking the stanard unit out. i was going to use the orinal fan/moter an make a demister. but i might buy 1 so theres less work to do.

MA i am surpized how much there is. an guess what i found some more :mad:

im think off making a custom body kit like the seat cordoba wrc car. i found the specs an ive got to add a extra 65mm to each side off the car. is it worth using the originall bumper and work of that or is it better to start from scratch.

also im thinking off converting it to rwd with a evo 3/4 engine (4g64) bottem end with a (4g63) head;). then turning the engine 90 degrees so the engines lower and so i can put a bigger turbo on. as far as i know its only bin done to a mitsubishi(norris desgins) an thats running about 850bhp. would it be possible to do my seat.
i have the expericence and the knowalge to make the nessary mounts for the engine an gearbox.:cheesy:

cheers

im think off making a custom body kit like the seat cordoba wrc car. i found the specs an ive got to add a extra 65mm to each side off the car. is it worth using the originall bumper and work of that or is it better to start from scratch - if you want to do this then start by using the originals itll give you a base shape to work from. remember 65mm will hide the wheels massivly in the arches and spacers really arnt diesgned to work at that much. so suspension, hubs and axle would need to be changed

also im thinking off converting it to rwd with a evo 3/4 engine (4g64) bottem end with a (4g63) head;). then turning the engine 90 degrees so the engines lower and so i can put a bigger turbo on. as far as i know its only bin done to a mitsubishi(norris desgins) an thats running about 850bhp. would it be possible to do my seat.
i have the expericence and the knowalge to make the nessary mounts for the engine an gearbox.:cheesy:

doubt youd haver the room in that engine bay to change from transverse to longitudinal so firewall would need to be cut and possibly moved back, this would me inside the cabon would also have to be moved about.
or if your on about rotating the engine around its other axis then you would have major oil issues

as as the 4wd it at least can be done but alot of work. you would require the whole back end from a 4wd VAG - a3 quattro or golf 4motion (both are the same system ) then need to cut out of your current car and weld the rear in place.

cheers

Good ideas but not really well thought out mate

i have been doing resuarch on the internet. i have realised that i will need the floor, drive chain an other things to make it work. but at the moment i will need to take the old engine out an wiring to see how much room i have.

today ive taken the heater out and some of the wiring.

3 bolts later the heaters out.
DSC00861.jpg

the reat of the sound proofing has been removed.
DSC00862.jpg

this is the heater.
DSC00860.jpg

this is some of the wiring removed from the side doors
DSC00863.jpg

the fuse box has gone an will be moved to a more sutable place for easyer access.
DSC00866.jpg

Last edited:
the engine is ready to come out. just got to remove 1 driveshaft and 1 manifold bolt and disconnect the power steering pump.
DSC00869.jpg

removed the main the main wiring loom from the engine.
DSC00872.jpg

DSC00873.jpg

i have had to remove the inlet manifold so i could disconnect some wires that where underneath.
DSC00870.jpg

this is the inlet manifold. i was supized as to how easy it was to get off.
DSC00871.jpg

next weeks job will be to get the engine out and start to srip it down.

took the engine out this weekend aswell as the fuel tank and exhaust. i had to take the front end off as this is the easiest way when you still have the drive shafts connected to the gearbox.
DSC00887.jpg

DSC00886.jpg

sprayed my boot lid last week end an fitted the bonnet catchs. an i got my pull cable,battery cut off switch an bonnet pins.
DSC00895.jpg

DSC00896.jpg

DSC00899.jpg

DSC00906.jpg

DSC00918.jpg
today will be spent cutting the rear boot floor out ready for the fuel tank an swirl pot an cleaning the engine bay ready for paint.

Last edited:
well. not much has happened due to the cost of insuring my daily run around. but with it being warmer an more hours in the day the prodject should pick up again i hope.:bigsmile: