project rat car.

This project will be done over the course of 3 years. once finished it will be used for every day driving and the track. this will be done on a budget £5500 to £6000.

at the moment ive taken most of the sound proofing and interior out for better power to weight ratio.

Last edited by a moderator:
do you mean rat look??? if so please dont!! its been done to death and only 1 out of 1,000,000 pulled it off!!!!

unless you are talkin a yank rat rod then
cool.gif

pics will be up soon when ive worked out how to do it. yes i do mean rat look. but not over the top rat look. im doing it so it individual. i will be doing chassis mods and engine mods mabye even an engine change. and it is the seat:D

DSC00831-1.jpg

back seats removed. and the sound proofing has gone.

DSC00829.jpg

door cards removed. will be moving the mannul winders for the windows in to the front. and replacing the rear windows with polycarbonate windows.

DSC00834.jpg

some of the intior that has been removed.

DSC00803.jpg

respray in red oxside for the moment and will get a full coat of nato green. with a matt black bonnet and a checked roof.

DSC00810.jpg

bonnet catchs i orderd off driftworks.com and i think they are made to a high standard.

will have to wait till next saturady and sunday when i can fit the bonnet catches and fit the winders. i tried today but it didnt quite work out.

Last edited:
You need to use the link at the very bottom with the IMG tags mate. Go back and edit or can a mod do this for him please?

Interested to see!

Last edited:
its got the img tags on it. do they need to be in brackets. or if you,ve got facebook there on there.

Last edited:
Just copy and paste the last link in the list from photobucket exactly how it is into the thread. So, it'll look like:

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj264/neokyle99/31012010355.jpg[/IMG

But on yours the last IMG tag will end in a bracket (I deleted mine to show you the link) and the image will display. Honestly, it's not rocket science :lol:

not wieghted anythng at the moment. id say ive lost about 20 kg so ive brought the kerb wieght down to below a ton. im having to keep the back seats for airport runs. but that will be once a year. engine wise im not sure. im thinking of making a hybrid engine. using the bottem end and a rebore to a 1.8. and fitting a 16v top on it with some head work done. mabye oversized valves and new cams. custom manifold and side exit exhaust. will be fitting a roll cage when i can book the time of work. im thinking of making one my self. just need to find more resuarch on it.

Pikey motersports. im doing it so it looks like a bag of crap. but it has the power to put saxos, peogets, and other cars to shame.:bigsmile:

im doing the same thing with my golf champ (see my thread) cost me £700 all in including the car! :lol:

wont be massively powerful (this year ;) ) but will be enough to see off most of the boy racer brigade :)

i see your point. but ill be doing track days so i have to invest in safety. and also do something unique with the engine. yet give reliability as it will be a daily driver.:bigsmile:

Went and got my new manifold gasket today. will be fitted tomorrow. need to make some new nuts and pins as i sheard the treads taking the old ones off. im debating weather to make them in stainless steel or brass. i will also be making some new pins as well out of some EN8 steel:D. does anyone know the torque settings ill need for the bolts?

but when brass is heated it expands which means the gasket will sealed nicely to the head. im not sure but im told thats what heppens.:confused:

the brass shouldnt expand iirc
we use it in areas that are close to heat in the machine as it doesnt expand and cause the machines to jam. downside is due to it being soft it does wear

ive checked with my uncle and he says it does expand it just depends how much you heat it up by. i suppose ill have to do a bit of trial and error approash.:cheesy:

came to fitting the manifold gasket today and found black, sludgy oil coming out of cyilinder 3 :(. its all down the manifold and in the exhaust port. im to sure wheather the piston rings have gone or if the head gasket has gone. will be striping down the head for a closer inspection. also if any one has any thoughts as to what it might be let me know. thanks :)

how would i be able to tell if the vavle stem seals have gone. i thought it might be piston rings. i will just have to wait an see:confused:

Usually if you start the car up and it smokes straight away then clears up it's the valve stem seals, if it smokes from start and carries on it's the rings.

Blue smokes, I might add.

when i start the car it doesnt smoke but when you rev up to 3000rmp it smokes then when the revs drop it smokes for a few seconds then its back to normal. could it be that 1 of the valves is stuck?

the dash board is finally out.
DSC00852.jpg

ready for it to be flocked. and tomorrow will be doing some tiyding of the wires an try to hid as many as possible.

Last edited:
i found a a small box which i thought was the ecu but on closer inspection it was someting to do with the air bags. now seen as ive taken the air bag out ready for a momo steering wheel. if i remove it will it cause problems or not. cheers

That'll be the airbag ECU. That and the wiring can go, no need for it if you don't have an airbag any more! Might throw an airbag light up on the dash it's not already on from removing the airbag but that's about it.