Pleeeeeeease help

welcome back steve hows uni ?

mm 1st guess would be a spring away, but cant understand why it would be on revese only
only other thing i can think of is revese gear is gone but then i cant see how that would effect it on left only

hey mate, long time. uber stressed! uni is no fun.

aye im confused why it is only on full lock and only in reverse. the springs were changed about 18 months ago but i suppose that doesn't rule it out.

if it is the gearbox i want to get to the bottom of it cause the gearbox is only under warrenty for one more month (got a new 'box fitted last march, you may remember me moaning about it no end!:cheesy:)

cv joint driver side i would say
can pop the boot off and put some grease in there but if its making noises its gone really

ah that sodding thing! i just used to call it the thing that gets in the way when changing pads!

ok, ill have a look at that in the morning before submitting to the garage again. Though, would this be the problem considering it only happens in reverse? this is a very odd problem if you ask me!

if its not the brakes, it could be somthing to do with the drive
im only guessing now mate, but while your checking the brakes,(if not) check the drive while your at it

i havent met you before so now il say hi

Not at all. My Primera used to do the same thing but in that case it was the back discs. It depends upon the shape of the stones; read-on, I'm not totally barking. Very often the noise was only in one direction. Is used to find a deserted car park - drive backwards at about 30mph and then brake sharply, which usually flung 'em out after a couple of attempts. If that didn't work then try the same thing going fowards.

its weird how its only reversing to the left, if it was a stone, would it be there going fowards to the right also??

hi mate, ask the other long standing members of the site, no problem is too strange for my polo.
someone is bound to know what it is, try what hdi said, have a look at it tomorrow yourself, it cant be anything serious (hopefully anyway):D

would the CV joint make it only in reverse?
did think of that and the wheel bearign but couldnt work out why it would only do it in reverse

yes knocks forward or back if the ball bears have worn the case down there will be play what ever way you move it

have had it before were it only knocks in reverse was the cv joint every time

a brake pad will only knock once when it slides in the holder but then will knock again when you move forward

get a mate to go with you to a car park get him to jump out go back for it to make the nose he then can tell you what side it is for sure
back home whip the whell off and grab hold of the drive shaft and see if theres any play

In reverse the load angle on the wheel is different. Essentially it tends to go from toe in to toe out when going backwards. This can cause a load on a loose component that is not apparent in forward direction. I too would say it is the CV joint. Check the rubber gaiters are not split. Jack up the car and check for wobble just to see if the bearings are in good order.

okay, for once its nothing serious, only embarrassing, incredibly so. The first obvious fault I thought was that the wheel arch liner had come loose. But this wasn't the case, even had the wheel off to check this. What is the problem though is upon second inspection with the wheel off I noticed a tiny horizontal split in the liner. When going forward on full lock left the tyre rubs just under the split pushing it back into its rightful place but on reverse the tyre just catches the lip of the split and pulls it out from its natural position, when it snaps back it makes the offending noise. What made me think it was a bearing or the like is the fact that as the wheel rotate it keeps catching and snapping the split plastic. Sorry to have scratched all your brains for something so trivial! :embarrest:

No worries mate. Glad that it's turned out to be straightfoward.

I had a very similar problem a couple of years ago when a little old lady drove into the side of my car in Devon (Easter 2007). Basically she forgot to stop at a T Jct and drove into the LH side of my car. £3000 worth of damage to my car but it drove home OK apart from a rear wheel arch liner which periodically contacted the tyre and made a horrible noise. In that situation I had a clue as to what has caused it so I got it home and into the body shop.

The £3k was because she'd contacted front and rear doors and the rear NS wing. Lot's of work.

In some ways it's a comfort to know that modern cars are very stiffly assembled - no one was even slightly hurt.

Insurers fixed it in no time, also allowed me a new alloy rim and brand new Conti as well!