my 1991 Renault 5 GT Turbo

hi people thought id post a few pics of my r5 gt turbo i bought this car for 1k and what a bargain it is :D

DSC00023.jpg

DSC00026.jpg

DSC00006-1.jpg

Image0155.jpg

DSC00024.jpg

Image0156.jpg

its not that hard getting 200+ tbh its keeping it reliable that is hard, also the rear of my turbo is a main restriction point but were looking at seeing what the max is it will produce, am 99.9% confident that it will be 200+ just from the headwork nevermind the fuelling being set up properly and another 2psi boost ;)

not at all mate they are really good at putting the power down as shown by 1/4 mile times :)

update

engine is now all built back up with the tubular manifold fitted just a case of dropping it in the bay now and then the fun begins,
2011-05-17133150.jpg

had a bit of a pig earlier had to replace passenger side wheel bearing and then fount that the inner spigot is worn and no good :(

Last edited:
got a whole complete front stub axle on route to me ;), also we have decided to get brand new ball joints and track rod ends whilst the front hubs are off :)
should receive bits tomorrow so will be dropped off tomorrow evening, fingers crossed have car back next week hope so as rtoc national day is june 4th

few more updates for you:)

engine is now in and running sounded sweet as well revs up much sharper with the lightweight flywheel on there as well

couple of quick pics i got earlier on
2011-05-26152549.jpg

2011-05-26152532.jpg

all thats left to do now is fine tune the carb and fit the gauges which is virtually done, big brakes are fitted as well thank god ill need them thats for sure

UPDATE

iv now got my car back and my god is it a different beast to when it went on the last dyno day, fuelling is set up absolutely bang on sounds healthy as anything, and also left a certain subaru driver with egg on his face about half hour ago

so now tomorrow ill be spending all day cleaning it making it look good ready for rtoc national day next sat

UPDATE

iv now got my car back and my god is it a different beast to when it went on the last dyno day, fuelling is set up absolutely bang on sounds healthy as anything, and also left a certain subaru driver with egg on his face about half hour ago

so now tomorrow ill be spending all day cleaning it making it look good ready for rtoc national day next sat

Marvellous news! I bet you had a silly grin on your face for quite a while after the Subaru encounter :lol:
The best of luck at the RTOC and remember to take lots of pics.

Sounds good mate, you will have to get some vids up. Never drive or even been privvy to a passanger ride in an R5 GTT but I would imagine it bears some simularities with the old Uno T's.

For me the R5 is similar to the Punto Gt's.
But I think I find them similar because I've never really owned anything so small.
I know I had a Fiesta Rs but that just felt more durable if you know what I mean. For me the Punto an the R5 felt like they was made of ally. The R5 is sooo light compared to what i'm use to.

Haha that good eh ;) lol. The UnoT is a fair bit lighter than the PGT, and even more tinny so that's why I'm imagining them to be more uno-like. Who knows! I know another lad with one who i haven't talked to for ages so maybe one day my dream of R5 GTT co-pilot will come true LOL.

I've only ever been in one R5, it was my mates and it was a few years ago now.
Was fairly quick TBH to say it was more or less standard.
Didn't really rock my boat at the time cause I had the Fiesta Rs and that was alot quicker.

well lads ill tell you now that a uno turbo punto turbo or frst aint anywhere near as good as an r5gtt in any aspect they drive and handle so much better than the above mentioned
i give my bro the keys to my car told him go for a play and he come back with the words thats bloody violent haha he also used own a frst running 193bhp and said its in a total diff league to that :) oh and am only running 16psi atm and it feels alot quicker than it did at 19psi in march, will be going up to 22psi before the dyno day in july.

Last edited:
well lads ill tell you now that a uno turbo punto turbo or frst aint anywhere near as good as an r5gtt in any aspect they drive and handle so much better than the above mentioned
i give my bro the keys to my car told him go for a play and he come back with the words thats bloody violent haha he also used own a frst running 193bhp and said its in a total diff league to that :) oh and am only running 16psi atm and it feels alot quicker than it did at 19psi in march, will be going up to 22psi before the dyno day in july.

Mate my frst was in it's own league. It had tons and tons of work done to it from the owner before me.
Was back then prob one of the fastest road legal frst's in the uk in it's time.
And it wasn't just quick it handled like it was on rails as well.;)
It was the quickest RS turbo in my area when I had it.
My mate at the time had a R5 gtt and he never stood a chance against my Fiesta both on the straight and in the bends.
It was more or less a track car for the road except it never had a cage fitted.

bet that was some fun mate :)

but its unfair to compare as you say a real big modded car against a standard or slightly modded car of any type.

you got any pics of the frst i love them in black and white also and they have to keep the green decals on there

well guys am absolutely loving the car atm got a little tweak of the carb to do today as in 4th and especially 5th its going lean on full boost 13-14afr

carb atm is standard main,2mm needle,1.2mm 2nd stage and 100 air corrector so am thinking either 1.3mm 2nd stage or 0.9 a/c might solve this

gave the car a full valet inside and out yesterday i was really pleased with how the carpet/seats etc come up used ag interior shampoo couldnt believe how well it cleaned everything

Haha that good eh ;) lol. The UnoT is a fair bit lighter than the PGT, and even more tinny so that's why I'm imagining them to be more uno-like. Who knows! I know another lad with one who i haven't talked to for ages so maybe one day my dream of R5 GTT co-pilot will come true LOL.

if you go to rsoc national day am sure i could take you for a spin ill be running 22psi then as well ;)

bet that was some fun mate :)

but its unfair to compare as you say a real big modded car against a standard or slightly modded car of any type.

you got any pics of the frst i love them in black and white also and they have to keep the green decals on there

I have somewhere but i've no idea where they are.
They may still be at my parents house. Next time i'm there i'll try and dig them out and scan them.
Mine was red with green decals. Loved the colour the red body and green decals worked very well imo.
Really really miss that car.:sad2:

love the engine and interior. How much iz it going for?

thanks mate

in reply to your question i think you mean power wise am i right ? going for 200bhp for the moment on the current turbo then over winter a few things will be changed looking at around 250-270 and long term 300+bhp

forgot to add that ill also be dropping the oil again this thursday as well as another coolant change as ill have done at least 120 miles since engine built up.

Can't have too many oil changes, especially when running in! Using mineral oil, running in oil or something else?

FRS is good ta, I have started a bit more fiddling today. Fitted the actuator amongst other stuff but it rained so I had to move my tools inside, then rained again so I had to close the bonnet until it stopped, then I carried on but finally gave up when it started hailing lol.

Got a few pics on 3rd june they aint the best but you get the idea, these were all taken before i put the ag extra gloss protection on, all ready for rtoc nat day

2011-06-03153008.jpg

2011-06-03153036.jpg

2011-06-03190207.jpg

2011-06-03191007.jpg

2011-06-03190240.jpg

well guys had a good day out at the national day was good to finally give my car a pretty decent run out 130 mile round trip it performed brilliant didnt miss a beat and used half tank of fuel had a few blasts there and back my god it bloody flies hehe.
couldnt believe my eyes on the way back as something appeared in my rear view mirror which was only a jag xj220 how big are them things

took a quick pic of my car at mallory
rtocandraceforlife009.jpg

well guys had a good day out at the national day was good to finally give my car a pretty decent run out 130 mile round trip it performed brilliant didnt miss a beat and used half tank of fuel had a few blasts there and back my god it bloody flies hehe.
couldnt believe my eyes on the way back as something appeared in my rear view mirror which was only a jag xj220 how big are them things

took a quick pic of my car at mallory
rtocandraceforlife009.jpg
loving the car!!!!!
only 1 gripe for me. have you considered adding ducting and a end to your side light intake??? to me it looks unfinished something along the line of this;)
12072009228.jpg