How long should a car last

thexav

Pro Tuner
Staff member
Car
2002 Clio 172
What do you think is the average life expectancy of a car in both years and miles and do you think this is improving?

I think that a modern car should last for 150,000 miles and 20 years if it is reasonably well cared for. Back in the 80's I reckon that this was nearer 100,000 miles and 10 years.

Do you agree with this? What has been your experience? What is the average age and mileage of the cars you've scrapped?

I agree with you!!! But I think I should add another condition. It depends in which country the car is.

From my experience having lived for a long time in a very hot country cars seem to age more quickly regarding the engine. Now I have been living in a cold country for more than 5 years and I see 30-35 year old cars still running strong!! Body wise they are not so good but engine wise they still run!!!!

I hadn't thought of that. I've heard that France is pretty good for cars. Down south the warmth and the long roads means a lot of the really old ones are still going strong.

It should last forever tbh considering for most people it's the second most expensive purchase of their lives after a house, and you wouldn't want that to collapse after 20 years!

should last a long time, but like a house it needs to be kept in good condition and will need help to stay in that condition
only car ive scrapped was the prelude it was close to 18 year old and hadnt really been looked after by previous owners. head cracked on it at 103k which wasnt bad i thought, clutch was still original and by the lip on the discs when i bought it i would say thay hadnt been changed much

should last a long time. i only scrapped my nova after it had an incident with a fire but all the others i have had have been sold on or just kept in use.

I think people view cars as a fashion item and when new models come out they stop being interested in older ones and begin to neglect them.

If properly maintained a car should just keep going and going. Rust is a big problem in some areas but modern cars are usually very well protected from corrosion.

If a Volvo engine can survive 1,000,000 miles then any modern engine should last for at least a quarter of this.

As the interior wears out it should be renewed, just like you do with your house furniture.

We do seem to be a throw away society which is very wasteful of resources.