Help with first car from parents

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Did your parents help you to buy your first car?

I was on my own and had to save up. (Poor family you see:( - Poor but Happy!)

Most people I've spoken to have had parents buy thier first car or stump up a large amount of cash to help with it! It's just not fair.

I bet they don't appreciate their first car as much as I do.

Last edited:
Re: Help iwith first car from parents

I got a block of lessons for my 17th birthday n got a part time job while i was at college to buy my first car.

Think it helped me realised the 'value of money' (as my dad would say) and appreciate it more as i had worked for it.

My Dad bought me 10 lessons, I bought my first car from a mechanic friend of his, cost me a princley £600, cost more than what I paid for the car to insure it! :lol:

My parents paid for my first car insurance providing I got a crappy group 1 car. So I got an 850cc panda and hated it! I still had to pay for the car out of my own pocket and the insurance cost more than the car did.

Well I'm still driving my first car and I actually don't own it. My grandmother who can't drive anymore owns it but I get to use it if I take care of it. I buy gas, and maintain the car, instead she pays insurance and tolls.

my parents told me they would match whatever i could be bothered to save for my car. but being eager to drive i only saved £300 and they gave me the other £300 towards my metro but insurance, tax mot was all down to me

but looking back (easy to say now) i wished i had saved 1k and ended up with a really nice 2k car
nod.gif

back in time my parents paid for driving lessons as a 17th birthday present, but i worked for my car, and paid to buy it and put it on the road, and i agree that you appreciate it more, because its yours, i just wish insurance prices were cheaper for young drivers, in the past few years ive spent £1600 on the car and about £4000 on insurance, despite building up four years of no claims.

I had to save for my own too all £50.....took me around 2months, strawberry picking and apple picking...and I had to pay for the tax, mot and driving lessons, but dad did put me on his insurance for 2 years.

Bought my own first car - Rover 216SLi on a P plate. Typical K-Series blew up after 1 year.

Dad was good enough to let me take my test in his, at the time, new Freelander though - which was cool. Had < 2000 miles on the clock when I took the test. Even the examiner said she'd enjoyed the ride at the end.

back in time my parents paid for driving lessons as a 17th birthday present, but i worked for my car, and paid to buy it and put it on the road, and i agree that you appreciate it more, because its yours, i just wish insurance prices were cheaper for young drivers, in the past few years ive spent £1600 on the car and about £4000 on insurance, despite building up four years of no claims.

What car did you buy then? And who was your insurance company? I can't see your insurance being that high unless you brought a car with a high cc.

Did your parents help you to buy your first car?

I was on my own and had to save up. (Poor family you see:( - Poor but Happy!)

Most people I've spoken to have had parents buy thier first car or stump up a large amount of cash to help with it! It's just not fair.

I bet they don't appreciate their first car as much as I do.

i saved up all by myself working 4 jobs:p i paid for lessons, insurance,tax and my first car you dont want to know how long it took me to actually be ready for my test hahaha

Last edited:
Got 10 lessons for Xmas, that was it. After I passed mum put me on the insurance for 3 months while I looked for a car, then bought my own. Insured/taxed/MOT's/Serviced all by me (or my wallet!). First car I had bought for £500, spend £200 on it and sold for £950 3 weeks later.