Fuel and Oil Additives

Nightwhite

Tuner
Car
Skoda Favorit 1.3
turbing a car isnt dangourous as long as you stick to low boost, however your not looking at much gain
indeed true, u just have to look into it before doing it.

i just put some wynns super fricton proofing into my engine oil 2 day, it coats all the metal inside with a layer reduseing friction, i found it to take a bit of time of my 1/4 mile time (not much but every little helps), along with haveing the beafit of perlonging the engine life. anyone else used this? on this topic anyone put octane boost into there tank? i always a bit warey when puting stuff like this in? views?

Re: New member looking for advice

ive used octane booster before as very rarly ever run on normal unleaded.
seems funny your wary of using fuel additives but are happy using oil additives. me personally would just use high quality oil of the recommended grade and leave it for 5k then swap it (currently use long life oil good for 20k but still swap it out every 5-6 thousand miles) after all the whole point of oil is
nightwhite said:
coats all the metal inside with a layer reduseing friction,

the guy who put a twin turbo on a corsra proberly left the internals as standard did he ?

i do keep with high quality oil, and i only ever used this single adative, habit from the old man but it is good stuff. but i have never used fuel adatives i always try and put BP unlimate in, worth the extra few pennys in the long run :)
did u notice a differnt when useing the ocatane booust?
i dont pay for oil as i get it from work, fully sythetic high quality so i change it ever 3-4k

the guy who put a twin turbo on a corsra proberly left the internals as standard did he ?
yeah he did...he was one of thos boy races who fort they new everythink with out cheaking anythink out
why i always try and tell people to research everythink as much as they can frist!

felt like i was running cheap super, hesitent etc. but then i do notice a differnce to running normal against super.
its only supposed to be used with 95 ron fuels anyway so your better spending the extra £1 or 2 on a tank of super.

if your using high quality oil i wouldnt bother with the addvitives make.

suprised whoever done the work for him didnt tell him its a waste of time

fair enouth, will keep to my BP ultimate :)

the kid done it all him self, when he told me i did tell him...but they think they know best xD

anyone used any fuel/oil adatives that they fort was a gimick or really good?
i have seen a few that say they will help fix problems and clean differnt parts? are they worth it or is it only something for cars that havent been looked after right or one with very high mileage? views?

one very good idea is redex injection cleaner.
use it every so often and go out for a fun and enthusiastic drive to help keep everything clear

I think oil additives are needless. Use a good quality synthetic and all should be well.

I see fuel additives differently entirely. I have used Millers DSP4, Forte Deisel treatment and wynns 3 professional diesel additive.

I dont' suggest using them together but each has a set of features and benefits that does a lot to maintain combustion quality and emissions cleanliness.

does millers do a good additive for petrol?

Good question. And I don't have an answer immediately to hand. I seem to remember they do an octane booster but will check the current product lineup.

What are you looking for from your additive?

Cleanup?

Torque and power?

Or general one to extend life and reduce wear?

I have used Forte Gas Treatment in my petrol cars in the past and found it to be exceptionally good. They also do an advanced injector cleaner which, I think, is designed for really poorly maintained cars that have multiple running issues. Probably best to not use this unless you really have fouling issues.

STPs fuel injector cleaner works well, it can be bought in 1 litre bottles very cheaply.

Also, redex is a known and respected product. I cannot see what the difference is between the normal stuff and injection stuff though. Have used both types in multi-point petrol cars and had good results.

the car is low mileage and in pretty good nick, there are a few minor problems from where it was stood still for so long before i had it. looking something to increase my power really as it doesn't have that much atm and i cant afford to do any major work. (not that there is much to be done in a 1.3)

or something that will increase my mpg, so i can save money. :)

i only use this car for driving to work and back atm, but me and my old man are thinking about giving a good tune up and really make it nice as a little project once i get my next car.

there any additives i should keep away from? that are just jokes?

STP stuff does work.

Also consider the Turin tune-up. It's a fun process where you get the car serviced; oil, filters etc.

Now you go and fill up with half a tank of top quality petrol - ie. no tesco rubbish etc.

Add a bottle of Forte Gas Treatment.

Drive very gently for a dozen miles or so.

Now, recheck your tyre pressure, adjust if necessary.

Fill up screen wash tank.

Now, you go out and drive the car briskly. Hang on to your gears until you're approaching the red line for every change up.

Hold it in second and accelerate towards 60mph - repeatedly.

THe idea is to increase the temperature in the combustion chambers of the engine. Doing so will remove all kinds of sooty crap that has accumulated.

It will make a massive difference to the driveability of your car.

redex fuel treatment is my holy grail atm my car has a problum with over reving i thought the throttle cable was sticking as it keeps on accelerating after i get off the gas but i cleaned all parts visible to the throttle and such it didnt help so i poped some fuel treatment in and withing 3-4 miles it was normal put a full tank in yesterday no redex and 30 miles later over reving again poped it in same story ? its just lead replacement i think but i works and 5quid a bottle it does 250L of fuel its not bad but i might try some premium fuels instead see if that cures it.

What the f### are you doing putting lead replacement additives in a car with a cat converter? You'll very likely trash both the cat and the O2 sensor!

a car will say to run it on leaded and unleaded (like mine as it does not have a cat) or JUST unleaded becuase it has a cat converter in...lead replacement isnt that usefull inless your car need leaded fuel...what is basily none!

i do recoment you stop useing it asap!

hell yeah. that might explain the over revving mate you could ave wreaked the O2 sensor(s).
have you also looked at MAF or coolant sensor causing the over revving.

Lead replacement additiives are for seriously old cars that were required to run on leaded fuel and cant be run on lead free due to the valves seats not being strong enough to cope. im supprised you can still get it as most of these classics only required new seats to be just from stronger metal.

the redex injection cleaner is different to redex LRP

Halfords do the stp and redex so i might buy it from there, or i might wait until i next fill up at the shell garage and see if they have it.

ive only had the car 5 weeks it was a problum before i used the stuff and i have only used one bottle i amount with every 50L of fuel it cures the problem i thought it cleaned injectors and things like that what do you reccomend then >>?

the redex INJECTOR cleaner. redex do a whole range of prducts
LRP
Injector cleaner
Desiel injector cleaner
and i think they do oil additives as well

ok so no more lead lol silly me ill put the injector cleaner in and switch to premium fuel for a month or two keep the revs down and see if that cures it

You'll probably get a better results by driving the nuts off it for an hour or so! It's possible that the heat thus generated will burn off the contamination. Obviously - don't do this without regard for other road users

You'll probably get a better results by driving the nuts off it for an hour or so! It's possible that the heat thus generated will burn off the contamination. Obviously - don't do this without regard for other road users

Next time i fill up and get some of this stp stuff i probably will give this a shot.

A to have a bit of fun on the way home from college and B to see if it will help in anyway, plenty of long straight roads that i can rag it in every gear (in a safe manner of course).

I have used the STP petrol injector cleaner in the Primera when it got a little bit uneven (very slightly, though, the SR20DE engines are turbine smooth, if a little vocal) after using Tesco unleaded for a few weeks.

Most petrol additives seem to be beneficial, even if only slightly or only transiently (ie. once the thing is clean, no more cleaner is going to make any difference).

Diesel fuel additives need to be approached much more cautiously - many of them are incompatible with modern emissions control equipment and can cause particle filter blocking or premature filter failure. Beware of sales advice as well. Very few people are aware of the Euro IV and Euro V diesel emissions requirements and the equipment the cars are fitted with in order to comply.

In in doubt then contact the additive manufacturer and vehicle manufacturer before using any of them.

I'm also told that vegetable derived diesel is not to be used in any diesel car that has the Eolys (cerium compound) DPF system fitted. Sadly, no-one can tell me why it is incompatible.