E85 fuel pros & cons

TCJBOLDIE

Staff member
Car
2011 Honda FN2
Seeing there was a query about this fuel from a new member this link outlines what needs considering before you decide to convert your car over to this environmentally friendly fuel that can produce more power that requires app 1/3rd more fuel to produce a higher power reading

More and more car makers are supporting Flex Fuel and it does seem to be where the "oil industry" is moving too!

I worry though that most cars are going to struggle with E15 fuels when it is pushed out on us all. Perhaps a cynical attempt to take "old" cars off our roads by slowly killing them all.

Around here, it's the higher octanes (which means 91, and sometimes 90 and 89) which are usually E10. E15 is relatively rare, but one chain has E15 as standard for 91, and that is also the only consumer fuel chain right here (Topeka, Kansas, USA) which is carrying E85. I've run lots of vehicles on E10/91 and E10/90, never had a problem with them. E85 definitely reduces power in OEM flex-fuel circumstances, but there is at least one way to do better (@obi_waynne, I hope this is OK, you know where I'm going):

I have also wondered about engine tuning/remapping and flex fuels. Given how much potential energy is not being used productively in any engine, it seems to me that there should be ECU remapping out there to recover all of that power and then some. But I have not found such a thing in general aftermarket search, at least yet. I do wonder what would happen if one took a flex-fuel vehicle, filled it with E85 only, set up a good remapper, and let it go.

There is another aspect of stock flex-fuel setups which may be relevant as well. The ones I have thus far heard of, require that one use E15 or lesser numbers one full tank in three (3) or so. Don't know why. Perhaps there are sensors that have to be recoated or something. I'd love to know a lot more about this, I'd love to replace those sensors if the appropriate replacements exist. In my non-flex Tahoe testbed for the above link, I do have to use non-E85 one tank in three or four, or the computer really does seem to lose understanding of something, a stutter comes in.

Last edited:
FYI over here in Australia E85 is the fuel of choice for track oriented cars as it is tuned / mapped to produce a far higher power output than 98RON can at the same boost pressures.

E85 is also the mandated fuel for our NA V8 Super cars in part due to it's cleaner emissions.

And that's proof of the pudding :) The only reason for losses using E85, is engines aren't being set up properly for it. I wonder if an Australian source might be best for replacement sensors...? :)

Haltech is at the forefront of the aftermarket ECU's in Australia and I had one of their mid range computers that was trouble free for 20 years on my old 4 cylinder 400 hp turbo car and they have only gotten better over time and their systems are found on many motorsport cars. Have a good look at their range of products in the link below as I feel sure that you will at least find it interesting.

Haltech is at the forefront of the aftermarket ECU's in Australia and I had one of their mid range computers that was trouble free for 20 years on my old 4 cylinder 400 hp turbo car and they have only gotten better over time and their systems are found on many motorsport cars. Have a good look at their range of products in the link below as I feel sure that you will at least find it interesting.

Oh my. Real major reengineering there. Certainly would love to have a Haltech ECU device for that sensor to plug into, but for me that cost is half a replacement vehicle :)

J.E.B.

around here Austin tx. E85 is most used by forced induction cars, and a performance increase!
few use it for everyday driving, because poor MPG!

around here Austin tx. E85 is most used by forced induction cars, and a performance increase!
few use it for everyday driving, because poor MPG!
Hi Ron that's exactly what it should be used for But it is a cleaner burning fuel that will give more power but not fuel economy.

something i have noticed around USA , a lot of cars are converting to Electric drive systems!
fast as hell, and charge stations are everywhere, toss up Tesla charge, or lately Porsche charge stations!
many factory Electric cars are showing up in junkyards wrecked, guys buy the power and drive units!
puting them into almost any good cars hot rods etc.
batteries can be a stumbling block! good condition low mile batteries cost more than the motor/drive units!
ron

Battery costs will come down, and I've seen people starting to make their own powerpacks using LiIon batteries from old laptops and power packs.