Engine issue I can't diagnose (smell: Sulfur)

bluefoxicy

Wrench Pro
Car
1995 Cavalier
So when I gave the car just a little gas to cruise at low RPMs, but still have some throttle, it would go "whum whum whum whum" o.o (yes, very descriptive)

Now it's starting to do it under more power. The engine shakes violently. I checked the oil, it's fine (possibly high?); temperature's not going up there at all anyway. The whole engine seems to fill with the smell of sulfur compounds, particularly H2S.

I can fix it, but WTH's wrong? I can't fix it if I can't diagnose the problem! Obviously something is dying a slow death; I'm tempted to blame it on dumping a can of blue stuff ("Engine Restore") into the engine at last oil change... yeah, I should only be putting oil and maybe STP oil treatment (ZDDP anti-wear additive, though Valvoline SynPower has extra anti-wear stuff to replace the ZDDP everyone removed) in there.

Still, sulfur? What the hell in my engine contains that much sulfur besides the damn battery?

You know it feels like a timing problem and I have electronic ignition.

The plugs may not be firing right.

Oh for ....

If the alternator is overcharging the battery it can cause the smell and a misfire as the battery deteriorates and can no longer give the correct power to engine components.
An end of life catalytic converter can give a smell equal to that of rotten eggs and will also cause engine abnormalities.

If the alternator is overcharging the battery it can cause the smell and a misfire as the battery deteriorates and can no longer give the correct power to engine components.
An end of life catalytic converter can give a smell equal to that of rotten eggs and will also cause engine abnormalities.

Well, I passed emissions last month, so I'll rule out the cat for now.

Alternator may be messed up, battery may be dying? What's the proper running voltage across the battery's terminals? Positive-to-ground measurement for this? It's like 13-14V right? Battery at no less than 12?

Edit: I'll also replace the fuel filter, I never got around to that....

Last edited:
I was thinking it was the catalyst too. But if it passed emissions maybe not, unless it just scraped through - what were the readings on the MOT and pass threshold?

Is the battery surface wet or damp?

I was thinking it was the catalyst too. But if it passed emissions maybe not, unless it just scraped through - what were the readings on the MOT and pass threshold?

Is the battery surface wet or damp?

I passed barely into the test. The numbers were like 1/1000th of the maximum level.

I put a can of seafoam in the fuel and it runs better now. Still suck, but not as horrible. Tried to do the fuel filter last night but I didn't have time to jack, and it turns out I can't roll up the ramps without accelerator here (I can't heel-toe well enough to not jump the ramp, so I let the clutch slip and roll up the ramp, hit the footbrake when I'm on top).

Maybe tonight I can get it up on jackstands and try to work under it. Mind you ramps raise the car twice as high as the jackstands at maximum extension.

thats what i would say

and if it only just passed the mot could meen the cat is on its way out and blocked

and also just cos it passed the mot does not meen its not gone as if its blocked and not blowing to much out the pc can only read what ist throwing out

thats what i would say

and if it only just passed the mot could meen the cat is on its way out and blocked

and also just cos it passed the mot does not meen its not gone as if its blocked and not blowing to much out the pc can only read what ist throwing out

Well if the fuel filter change doesn't fix it, I'll pop the cat off and hollow it out. Problem solved.

At this point I'm going to say the timing belt slipped from me always being near fuel cut. Damn redline.