engine change

edybear

Car
megane coupe 1.6
ive just changed my car from a cinqecento that did 0 to 60 in 5.4 seconds to a megane coupe 1.6 that dose 0 to 60 in never whats the bigiest engine i can strat drop with new enginine manegment any help would be apreciated

Hi and welcome to the forum.

What engine did the Cinqecento have that got the car to 60mph in 5.4 seconds? Or is that in kph?

na mph it had a 1.2 16v punto sportin catback exhaust k&n and stage 2.5 weight reduction im atchully selling at the moe for 400 the gear box is on its way out or id be asking 600 for it its a beast

na mph it had a 1.2 16v punto sportin catback exhaust k&n and stage 2.5 weight reduction im atchully selling at the moe for 400 the gear box is on its way out or id be asking 600 for it its a beast

What was the power output, how much did it weigh and how did you time it?

hey and welcome.
i to am interested on how much weight you lost to get a 80bhp engine to get a car to 60 in 5.4 seconds

as for the megane the 225 engine would be a good start

Thing is then you'd want the trick suspension and brakes from one and then you may as well just buy a 225. April 2006 onwards they are of much better quality apparantly.

right i whant to build this up my self custom style so it suts the way i drive
the cinqecent Interior has been removed along with the dash to save weight and has aluminium doorcards a pair of Cobra Sidewinder seats with Willans 4 point harnesses.
Engine is from a Mk1 Punto Sporting(1.2 16v) and has a K & N filter + Supersprint cat back exhaust system.
Seicento Sporting wheels and grooved+drilled discs with Mintex pads.
lowered a bit to stiffen it up.
it weighed les than half a ton i think it was 430k i worked out that the engine had 86bhp standerd and with all the mods would of made it push 90bhp
and at the weals it had about 80bhp so the car had 160 bhp per a ton and i timed id but my mises siting besid me and she said go and i said stop when it went over 60mph so it probly a bit less but ther about it was a beast you wont belive me but if you came in it you off lefft marks in you boxers

Last edited:
the 225 is out the new meganes right i need a mk1 engine really becuse its my every day car so it can only come off road for a day or two at a time

The standard car weighs around 700kg, so how did you remove 270kg?

With two people on board, 90bhp and 750kg (car plus passenger) you are looking at around 7 sec 0-60. (still pretty nippy but hardy stain inducing). There is no way, IMO, that that spec is capable of a mid 5 sec 0-60.

I don't wish to sound harsh, but that sort of claim is pub talk. When the warm weather returns get yourself and car up to Santa Pod, the BS stops when the lights drop :)

Been there and done it. My expectations and hopes have been torn to shreds many times on the strip.

Last edited:
lol im not hear to argue it did it i have had loads of pepole like you lot but when theyve come in it then they belived but any way i dident start this to talk about the cinq i started it to talk about the megane ive got the 1.6 8v mk1 and its got no power it might be me but i thought i would have a bit of pull so i whant to rebuild a new engine from a mk1 and posibly turbo it

After several thwarted attempts to turn something into something it will never be. I switch over to getting what already is. Adding a turbo to a vehicle that was never designed for it can be costly and unrewarding.

But that is what forums are all about. If you don't want to discuss something don't mention it in the first place, expecially performance claims :)

It is physically and mathematically impossible for a 430kg (which you haven't explained how you achieved) car with 90bhp and two people in it to achieve 0-60 in 5.4 seconds. You are looking at around 7 seconds and just under 16 for the 1/4 mile.

To achieve 5.4 ypu will need around 140bhp and 115lb/ft, good tyres and plenty of launch practice.

I imagine that the people who have been in your car are of a similar age to you and haven't experienced much in the way of performance cars, so a lightened and tuned Fiat would, indeed, seem fast to them as it is all relative to your personal experience.

160bhp/tonne is good but not earth shattering. My Robin Hood kit car has around 140bhp which equates to 200bhp/tonne and runs low 15 sec quarters.

My friend's Ford Pop has a 550bhp Ford V8 in it giving it 550bhp/tonne. It's when you get to this level of power that new pants may be required :)

With regard to tuning the Megane engine, I know nothing about them. However, if it is a 4 cylinder OHC lump, then tuning this is no different to any other engine of a similar size and configuration. Before embarking on a rebuild, I would give the engine a full service and tune to make sure it is OK and working to its design spec.

If, after doing this, you are not happy with the performance then don't bother with cut back exhaust systems, cone air filters etc on their own, as the increase in power will be marginal and you are after, I guess, a decent hike in power.

A 10% improvement can usually be gained by a simple remap, cost around £250. IMO a decent exhaust and a less restrictive induction system would then allow a remap to take advantage of the engine's existing potential and increase this to around 15%. Standard power is around 111bhp so a remap/exhaust/intake would boost this to approx 126bhp.

A cheap way to get extra power for when you want is to fit a ntrous oxide system. Looks flash and a 25-35bhp system is usually safe when using standard engine parts. Once you improve the engine's stength you can increase the nitrous power by a simple(ish) jet change :)

If you want more, then engine mods are required (head porting, performance cams, increase in capacity, etc) and the limit is how much you are prepared to spend.

Adding a turbo to a non-turbo engine is expensive, so a better bet would be to get a turbo engine to start with and work on that. Remapping a turbo engine will increase power by 25% on average.

Last edited:
yeh cool i now thats why i came here to talk and the fastes car ive probly been in was my mates 3.0 tubo suppra so i no what speed is lol i just whant this thing to chuck me back in my seat a bit like the fiat. i dident belive it till i saw wat it said on the timer lol any ways ive got a induction kit and exhaust on it now i need to relocate the air filter becuse it was put in a stupid place buy th old owner lol i was thinking about a realy small turbo say 5 or 6 psi the engine needs a rebuild its done 138000 so i would like to rebuild i was also thinking a rebore if posible i belive this engines came in a 1.8 verstion so a rebore to that with dished crowns and methonal ijection i could push say 16psi maby more id whant to also get better cams, conrods, fly weal and clutch. also posibly but the renault boy say ther isent one a 16v head ive always wondered it you can modefie a head from 8v to 16v i dont think its posibel corret me if im wrong lol

yes true but im takeing my time with this i need to rebuild the front end to so itel take a wile lol get a spare engine with less miles on it drop that in the begine on the old one lol

Your mate's Supra (unmodifed) manages 0-60 in around 5.3 seconds, so it was only a little faster than your Fiat :)

now I am off the floor perhaps I will contribute

getting a 0-60 in anywhere around 5 seconds in most cars needs lot of things amongst them a driver who can get the car off the line properly

Driver skill is very relevant especially in acceration from standstill but you still need the right power to weight ratio.

I wont quote figures cos OG does it so much better .

oky please im not being funny can we forgrt about the fiat if i still had it i would carry on this argument all im realy intrested in now is the megane thanks any way

OK, fair enough, subject dropped by me but you are now aware that there are a few people on here that know the odd thing about tuning so you need to be prepared to back up any claims you make with something a little more concrete than timings by the missus :)

When you start on the Megane keep us informed with lots of photos showing progress. Working on a spare engine is the best way IMO as there is no rush to get it back into the car.

Have turbos been fitted to these engines before?

Last edited:
Yes
The "top" meganne produced between 220 and 230 bhp dependant on the model/year.
some models were called the 225 for obvious reasons
They were turbo d and weighed around 1450kg but only one model had a claimed 0-60 in under 6 seconds (5.9)
The rest were between 6.1 and 6.4
Fitting this motor in a stock meganne would be the best power increase especially as they can be mapped to close to 300 with supporting mods
BUT...............
That is more than what you can put through the standard fwd set up without a trick front diff
So to make the "modded meganne" driveable you would need loads of upgrades .
These would be easily done using parts from the 225 (surprise surprise)

By that time you would be better off buying a 225 to start with which I believe is the conclusion of more than the odd thread on here already

Things dont change

Yes, put like like it seems like a pointless exercise, making something that already exists. Maybe better to get a 225 and modify that for more performance. If you could achieve the same weight reduction as on the Fiat plus a remap it would be pretty nippy.

I am pretty sure a 225 meganne would make the fiat look rather slow LET ALONE A MODDED ONE.

Of course there is the problem of insurance.............