ebay winner wants the vin number for insurance?

aston

The Torque Meister
Car
VOLVO and VW
Last weekend I sold a car on ebay to a polish chap, he has paid the £100 deposit and will pick up the car this weekend, however he has asked me twice for the vin number in order to get insurance, I gave him the reg number, why does he need the vin number? thank you

Last weekend I sold a car on ebay to a polish chap, he has paid the £100 deposit and will pick up the car this weekend, however he has asked me twice for the vin number in order to get insurance, I gave him the reg number, why does he need the vin number? thank you

Perhaps because his insurance underwriter requires it to affirm authenticity of the vehicle?

This is only done in a valiant (but in all probability inadequate) effort by insurers to protect us all from fraudulent or illegal use of vehicles without insurance. Including protecting your buyer from being sold a car illegally. There's no problem here.

Perhaps because his insurance underwriter requires it to affirm authenticity of the vehicle?

This is only done in a valiant (but in all probability inadequate) effort by insurers to protect us all from fraudulent or illegal use of vehicles without insurance. Including protecting your buyer from being sold a car illegally. There's no problem here.

Would that be if the cars being deported or something?

I've never been asked for the Vin number by any insurer.
And I wouldn't send it to a buyer until I had all the cash.

I can't see an issue with it really. It will enable him to check the full history of the car, registration numbers can be changed.

Is the buyer UK based and not one of these 'my pick-up agent will collect' ones? Ask for the insurance company name and contact number, if genuine then it'll be forthcoming. Anyway, if a buyer was wanting to know more he would pay for the service to find a cars history if concerned.

It seems the chap needs the VIN for European insurance, One car sold, more space for a new toy, ha ha

It seems the chap needs the VIN for European insurance, One car sold, more space for a new toy, ha ha

I think, then, that TN69 has hit the nail on the head. I think he means exported as opposed to deported but the principle is correct.

Well done to Mr Buyer for being totally honest :)

I'd be a little slow at giving it to him. If he has the same car to what you have sold, and its stolen, then he can bump you (minus the £100) and clone your car.

I have never had an insurar ask this question.

The folks drove 2000km's all the way from Poland to my house in Sleepy Dorset, did the deal. refused tea, coffee, beer etc and left, good guys but as you can imagine very tired. They told me that second hand cars here in the UK are the cheapest in Europe by a long shot, well they did well with mine, An one owner year 2000 v6 Audi Avant with a full MOT,full Audi SH, ice cold aircon, all extras except leather for £620. Never mind I need the space,

The folks drove 2000km's all the way from Poland to my house in Sleepy Dorset, did the deal. refused tea, coffee, beer etc and left, good guys but as you can imagine very tired. They told me that second hand cars here in the UK are the cheapest in Europe by a long shot, well they did well with mine, An one owner year 2000 v6 Audi Avant with a full MOT,full Audi SH, ice cold aircon, all extras except leather for £620. Never mind I need the space,

HAHA, not supprised they wanted the VIN. They probably thought it was stollen at that price!! And they wanted to do a check!! lol :lol:

Well of course I wanted it to make more but it was an auction so fair enough, Funnily enough I was reading one of the other forums and someone refused to sell his car to the winning bidder as it didn't make enough (had no reserve). Bang out of order me thinks