Diesels holding their value

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Why do diesels depreciate more slowly than their petrol equivalents? (Or is this just a myth!)

It always seems more expensive to buy a diesel of a particular year than a petrol although the price of fuel is similar.

Because the popular perception is that diesels are cheaper to run and that the engines last longer.

They are more economical on fuel but over ten years I suspect there's little in it in terms of overall running costs.

Diesel servicing is more expensive. The engines are incredibly complicated so if anything goes wrong it is generally likely to be quite costly to fix.

I have owned quite a few diesels, and right now I have traded in my Suzuki 1300 for a Tata Indigo Marina Diesel(1400cc Turbocharged)Apart from this car I have a 2 litre 1991 Toyota Corona Diesel, and a land Rover Series 3 which I fittted with a Nissan 2.5 litre diesel. Diesels are the way to go in my opinion, and the depreciation is very little as compared to petrol cars.Here in India we have the added attraction that Diesel fuel costs much less than Petrol, and what is more, the diesel available here is of high quality