Boost controllers?

turbonutter69

TC ModFather
Car
Insignia SRI.
Afternoon all just wondered what your thoughts are on boost controllers. Been reading about my car and the standard boost is 8psi. But the turbo can actually run safely at around 11-12psi. So I was wondering are Boost controllers any good. Are some better than others? Whats your thoughts?

if the turbo can take higher psi, why not
cant tell you what to go for though, i never had a turbo

I've known a few people bend the actuator arm on the 2.0 Turbos to get more power. Crude but effective. The in car boost controllers are best and allow you to fine tune the boost. You don't want full boost all the time and may as well go for economy on your daily commute in traffic and just wind it up a bit on empty roads.

RESIST THE URGE TO MAX IT. You will fry your pistons if you go too high. I'd personally stick to around 10psi max but it does depend on the condition of the engine.

On this subject, electronically programmable boost controllers are much better than mechanical ones. They also allow a more progressive boost.

Electronic boost controllers are good, im getting one fitted so that i can have an economy map and also bring the turbo a bit more progressively to stop wheel spin.

The T16 engine is really limited to about 200bhp unless stronger conrods and pistons are fitted. It's a derivative of the tried and tested O-series AR engine. Additional oil cooling is desireable. Try to resist the temptation to ramp up the boost mechanically (ie. shortening actuator arms etc.)

The T16 engine is really limited to about 200bhp unless stronger conrods and pistons are fitted. It's a derivative of the tried and tested O-series AR engine. Additional oil cooling is desireable. Try to resist the temptation to ramp up the boost mechanically (ie. shortening actuator arms etc.)

No I wouldn't do that. I just wondered about getting a boost controller so I could set it a little higher but be able to turn it down for wet weather and ice an such...

The gearbox will usually object to the power before the engine dies.

Shortenening the actuator arms is not something I recommend doing (despite my previous post - CRUDE is the key word in that!)

The gearbox will usually object to the power before the engine dies.

Shortenening the actuator arms is not something I recommend doing (despite my previous post - CRUDE is the key word in that!)

I wouldn't ever do that. I need it to be adjustable so I could do that anyway. I'm not just after more boost I may even turn it down in bad weather. It's just something I have been thinking about thats all..Thanks for the views guys...:D:D

Have you read into adjustable waste gates at all. I've had one of these fitted on the scoob and on the Veccy and they are fantastic. You can control how much boost is released into the engine very easily. Electronic boost controlers are all good but I have seen these work better when the car has been hooked up to a Car-puter so almost everything abut the car can be changed at a push of a button. I wouldn't go for one of these unless you are gonna spend a fair bit on having other things adjustable aswell.

Have you read into adjustable waste gates at all. I've had one of these fitted on the scoob and on the Veccy and they are fantastic. You can control how much boost is released into the engine very easily. Electronic boost controlers are all good but I have seen these work better when the car has been hooked up to a Car-puter so almost everything abut the car can be changed at a push of a button. I wouldn't go for one of these unless you are gonna spend a fair bit on having other things adjustable aswell.

I haven't no but I shall now cheers for the info buddy...:D