Audi TT owners say hello here!

Obione71

From
Sweden
Car
Audi TT Q 1.8 TFSI
Hi
Mattias here from Sweden, I Have a Audi TT Quattro 1.8 1999 built for track days. Its the previous owner that built it, at the moment its stage 1 with ecu. The original engine is the one with 225 bhp and with stage 1 its now 245 bhp. I want to upgrade the engine to 300-350 bhp and wonder whats the easiest and cheapest thing to do to achieve goal. I hope i can get some help here. (how much bhp is possible/safe to get from the engine without changing pistons and shaft)

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
From
Deal, Kent UK
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Hi Obione71 nicr to meet another Audi owner. I would suggest Turbo upgrades, another remap and fast road cams will hit your target fairly easily.

The standard 1.8 AGU has some forged parts and is good for around 350bhp before things start breaking. The clutch and transmission can start to have issues around the 300bhp mark if it's an auto.

Last edited:

alansd

From
georgia
Car
2012 audi ttquattro
hi all, I just found this site after looking for stage one tune ideas,read the article on carbon build up. i have a 2012 TT quattro convertible , stock but gorgeous. Volcano red...Runs fabulous with now 80,000 miles on her.Might be getting a stage one chip remap and hoping it will not cause any earlier deterioration...MY tech is very competent so I trust them...

rodhotter

Wrench Pro
From
USA coal township
Car
2001 audi TT
300 hp is possible on a stock turbo with mapping, intake + very importantly a hi-flo exhaust with changing the very restrictive downpipe with it. depending on cat requirements as well as emissions a 3" turbo back is optimal but many 3" cats are said not to pass emissions. on the ragtop I love it but as noted security is less!!!

Lunchmoney

The Torque Meister
From
Poole, UK
Car
'98 JDM Impreza STI
Hello and welcome.

hoping it will not cause any earlier deterioration
Anytime you push something beyond its original design it will cause it to deteriorate sooner. You are going to be putting more stress on the turbo and engine; more wear is a natural side effect of this. However I wouldn't unduly worry about it if all you are doing is a remap.

If you get the modifying bug and start to want to push your engine even further you will need to look at reinforcing things so you don't explode :)

rodhotter

Wrench Pro
From
USA coal township
Car
2001 audi TT
the 1.8T 225 is a stout engine said to handle up to 400 hp, but its the torque that stresses the engine as well as the clutch + of course a lot depends on how its used + maintained

alansd

From
georgia
Car
2012 audi ttquattro
I hear you,I my tt replaced an older 911 I could no longer drive, but this car is a blast, my top has hardly been up since I got it in May.big smiles when I am cruising in it.Getting older one needs to make some changes to accommodate your lifestyle and health.

Last edited:

steve r

Wrench Pro
From
chelmsford essex
Car
FTO GR
I've still got my FTO (you can see it in my pics). But for the last couple of years my daily drive has been a Mk 2 TT tfsi sport. I've not done a lot to it, just tinted windows, replaced glove box and boot lights for led's, fitted RNS-E, retro fitted cruise control, and changed air filter to a K&N. Also made up lights and wiring looms for door and puddle lights. Next job, wheels and suspension.

rodhotter

Wrench Pro
From
USA coal township
Car
2001 audi TT
wheels IMO can make a ride or not. theres lots of options depending on your wallet. but for me being in Pa with poor roads smaller is better with better riding tyres having a decent sidewall that also protects the wheels + bigger is usually heavier costing performance as well as mpgs not to mention more wear on suspension parts + making suspensions work harder!!

TCJBOLDIE

Torque King
From
Brisbane
Car
JB Starion
Rod a 3 inch full mandrel bent exhaust turbo back with straight thru muffler and resonators is the first mod I have been recommending for a very long time as it allows any turbo to build boost pressure sooner and in my personal experience gave power and torque increases of well over 10% on a dyno before and after the same day . Turbos work best with as close to zero back pressure as possible.

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
From
Deal, Kent UK
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I've still got my FTO (you can see it in my pics). But for the last couple of years my daily drive has been a Mk 2 TT tfsi sport. I've not done a lot to it, just tinted windows, replaced glove box and boot lights for led's, fitted RNS-E, retro fitted cruise control, and changed air filter to a K&N. Also made up lights and wiring looms for door and puddle lights. Next job, wheels and suspension.
Good to hear from you, sorry I missed your post buddy!

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
From
Deal, Kent UK
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
A quick question to TT owners, do you regard the TTS and TTRS as totally different to the TT?

Shall I write separate tuning guides for each of these models, or just cover them all in the TT article?

steve r

Wrench Pro
From
chelmsford essex
Car
FTO GR
I would be appreciated if you could write a tuning guide for my car Wayne, As said above It's a 11 plate TT tfsi quattro sport SA. I don't know what the SA stands for, any ideas ?, maybe sports auto or s tronic auto ?. Phoned Audi and they don't even know lol.

thexav

Pro Tuner
Staff member
Car
2002 Clio 172
Is that the 2.0 TFSi or the 2.5 TFSi?

SA is not an official Audi designation so I would guess S tronic Auto is probably what it means, I guess this is on your V5 document.

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
From
Deal, Kent UK
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Here you go buddy.
Older 2.0 TFSi
Newer 2.0 TFSi

Then we now have TTRS and TTS (still working on these)

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
From
Deal, Kent UK
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
And I couldn't find anything officially mentioning SA - it must refer to the transmission but was not an official model designation from Audi.