Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Mk 4 golf

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters

steve09

Track Warrior
Car
Honda NSR 125R
basically i have got my test less than a week, hopefully it will be the last time i have to attempt it.

anyway i am a bit stuck for choosing what car i want.

i have narrowed it down to a short few.
i know i wanted a audi, too much on insurance, same for focus and robin hood :p(that was just a OOOOOH pretty looking car i want lol.)

my list is

pug 106 1.4
pug 1.6XS 206
pug 3062L hdi
classic mk3 cortina 2000gt
or
MK 4 vw golf 1.4 or 1.6

help me with the pro's and con's with each or just why should i buy one over the others.

Last edited:
i put 206 because its moddable fair on insurence and kinda fast lol but if you want to get and audi get the 106 1.1 and save up for insurence on the money you dont spend

My choice out of all those would be a Golf because you could drop in a bigger engine later. I'm not a fan of French cars. I learnt in a 206 and hated it so much. They can be modded quite nicely though. Instead of thinking about what car you want, think about your test mate. Don't get over-excited. GOOD LUCK!

Golfs make good used buys. History essential as with any car. If I really had to suggest a vehicle I'd go for a Toyota Corolla. It's the best interpretation of bland ever yet made. Unburstable engines, well equipped, quiet and comfortable. And they're disturbingly good to drive as well; powerful brakes and grippy handling.

I have a French car at the moment, and I like it, but I think the Japanese offerings are a more sensible option if you're planning to spend conservatively.

I'll be back in a Nissan or Toyota when I come to replace my car.

I would have said golf as well but going with 206 as i think its lower insurance, which will help you to begin with.

to be honest i would go for something a bit older, not so old its rusting away but old enough for you to gain some experiance on

Instead of thinking about what car you want, think about your test mate. GOOD LUCK!

cheers :) hopefully 3rd time lucky :p

cant believe the stupid things i did to fail last times, down to either nerves the first time or down to stalling at an inopertune moment.

i hadnt thought about the corolla.

I wasnt really too bothered about the age of the car aslong as its still in the old tax bands or classic(tax exempt)

as for getting a car a bit older than a 206, was only going to be spending about 750-1300 for the car so i am looking for the best i can get for the money, with a low insurance but with a bit of poke.

dont really want a saxo or a old fiesta as you really have no chance in a crash, although you shouldnt be trying to crash :p its nice to know that you stand a chance if you do have one.

also what are the odds that the 206 for near to a grand will have a engine on its last legs or some other big issue? anyone?no? dust? :p

yeah i think i saw that one.

dont really want to replace the head gasket on it as can be pretty pricey.

on my mums astra when the HG went on that was going to cost more than the car was worth :/(was a few other problems but i know that a HG replacment can be pricey)

theres a nice metallic orange one on there. 1.6XS, 3 door, abs, power steering, CL, EW, a nice powerful sub+amp, alloys(might be standard but still alloys)
might have been ebay, but still, for 1200 i think.

thats good :]

i might have to look into the japanese market. hadnt thought of them for some reson :/

dunno if there will be any with a 1.6 16V cars one the insurance group 5 though. might have to look.

anyone know of a low insurance jap cars that are a 1.6 16V, smallish cars

Nissan Almera should be easy to cover. The 1.6 is a twin cam 16 valve unit with sequential injection. Not massively powerful, just a shade over 100bhp. The engine code is GA16DE. There is a 115bhp version, although I'm not sure if that ever saw service in the Almera in the UK.

Typically a late 1990's Nissan. Beautifully built and mechanically indestructible. You'll also get A/C ABS PAS EFW remote locking all in. And the handling is keen, too.

OK, not the prettiest of cars but I know where I'd be directing my funds if I was in the market for a small/mid size Japanese petrol car with a half useable motor.

Even the autos are pleasant. They use a Jatco 4spd unit with an automatic overdrive torque converter lockup. I had a Primera with that gearbox (OK, 2.0 150bhp) but it really did go very nicely indeed. Much more responsive kickdown than anything else available at the time.

dont really want an auto as imdoing a manuel test, there more fun.
granted there easyer to drive, dont have to think about gears so you can think more about your line round the corner.

just been looking at the almera's. not to bad.

although i like the look of the 206, not to bad on power, (used one while learning for a while) one thing i didnt like was the pedals.

couldnt get my foot onto the trottle too well and they were all too close together. so in an emergancy stop it might be possable to slam on the gas an break without meaning to.

might just be that i use the wrong part of my foot for the throttle,(dont really know never asked anyone what part they use, my sister uses her big toe, like very top left of her shoe) i like to have my ball of my foot on the pedel

use whatever bit of your foot that's comfortable. I have cruise control so I can always use that when I get bored of proper driving.

I agree with your point about autos. I happen to like 'em (but driving manual at the moment in spite of that). But I can still sort my cornering geometry in a manual - possibly had a bit more practise at my ripe old age of 38. Autos can be fun, too, but possibly needs to be in a much torquier car to qualify.

The problem with the Almera is the image it projects. If you can get pst that then you'll get a sound car that's fun to drive - they are grippy like all Nissans from the 1990's onward.

You won't need many parts with a well serviced Nissan. And they're not that pricey either based upon my experience. It's a common misconception to think that Japanese means costly parts.

hmmm... might have to review and compair the almera to the 206.

you say that you have no problem sorting out line geometry in a manuel or auto, what i mean was, forgetting to change down early enough and then as your changing down a bit late to take the corner you can go wide or the wrong line. (you = me in that bit ):p

I have a peugeot at the moment and it's a lovely drive. Perhaps I don't need to worry too much about EXACTLY which gear to use as it's reampped and has well over 300lbft of torque available. And it's manual. I'd prefer it with an auto.

I've not yet been caught out taking corners / bends with manual or auto. Think of the [manual] box as up/down rather than what gear you're in or wish to select. There's a lot to be said for paddle shifters as it removes the need to determine the gear you want. it encourages the idea of up/down rather than 'what gear is currently engaged and which should I replace it with?'

This might be a new driver thing, I went through that stage. One day I suddenly found myself outside the car and all the control operations became automatic.

If you find yourself shifting gears later than you'd like then acknowledge it and work on your anticipation.

Despite having covered over 700,000 miles I still find things upon which I can improve, in pursuit of excellence.

And it's not all about obeying speed limits blindly, despite the message that the cameras send out.

Drive quickly and purposefully; if you're going then go. If you're not, then stop. Don't drift or dawdle.

Forget mirror signal manoeuvre, try this: LOOk LOOk LOOk. All around. Be aware of what's in front (a mile ahead) and anticipate what's happening 5 vehicles back.

Gear changing is only a necessary evil.

i do have to say that i dont necessarily always look far enough ahead, usually a couple of cars ahead sometimes a bit more. i was talking to my instructor, he did his bike test and drove bikes around for a few years, and he said that on a bike you have to consantly look ahead, like to the end of the road and always be aware of every little thing around you.

potholes are the biggest risk on bikes as they can can be lower than the road or wet so they throw you off.

one thing that is really getting me at the moment, as i have my test in 5 days, i remember to mirror signel then manovor, mirrors when breaking, speeding up, pulling round a parked car or on a duel carrige way, but i keep forgetting to check the odd time when going from a different speed limit, i.e. from 30 to 50. do that 4 times in a 45 min test an its a fail.

i agree with the gear thing, i dont really have to think, i need this gear for this corner, or if i dont change down for this corner im going to stall, i know what gears are needed and dont have to think about it.
just that sometimes i dont change down quick enough, before the corner.

Last edited:
Sorry been mad at work last few days.

your last paragraph about not knowing what gear to need. that with come with practice, generaly you should have been on the test routes so have a idea of where the sharper corners are.

And in answer to your other post there
OHHH Yeah lot faster

good to hear it :) got a bit of compatition on my hands here :p

i think you might have misunderstoon the last paragraph, i didnt mean that i dont know what gear to use, i ment that i know what gear to use, but dont always change down soon enough, but yes it does come with practise. i have got a lesson today, will see if i do any better.

test tomoro:confused: hope i pass.

anything french is crap, apart from the Guillotine, as long as it's being used on them.

Defo' the Mk3 Cortina, you will learn more driving skills and car maintainence, I know my spelling is crap, twagged school and drove bangersround a field!!

When you take your test pretend it's just another lesson, that was the best advice I was given and passed 1st time!

Good Luck! you'll be picking your new car up next!

lesson went all good.

went round the test route and didnt do anything wrong.
got my gears all sorted just remembered to change down a bit sooner that i think is needed, i guess what i thought before was a bit late.

got all my mirrors down good now.

just hope i dont mess up doing stupid things like before :/

cheers :]

damn it, im going to have to go through the whole house for it, as its with my licence too ARGHHHHHHHHHwould have to happern wouldnt it ffs

yeah very good you asked lol

found it now thank god was in a pile of letters (is in a plastic evolope looking thing)

its half three. just getting to rush hour. so might get stuck in traffic and not have to do manouvers, only got to do 2 my last one as that happerned.

if all goes well tomoro i will be going out to the local garage with my dad and looking for a nice car, if i cant find one there then its autotrader.

my dad said he will help with insurance if i cant conftabley do all of it.

methinks of getting a vtec civic now :D

oh and im looking to be getting a Vtec 750 bike after this aswell hmmmmm :)

Good luck then mate...getting stuck in rush hour will be perfect. You'll most probably head away from the town centre. If you need any help looking for a car or advice on different cars feel free to ask! As for the Civic, a 1.6 Civic is insurance group 14 so be warned it'll cost a lot. Otherwise I think they are insurance group 10. But if you really do want one then that's my area of knowledge mate so I'll do my best to help.

i might try as a named drived under my dad.

as a little while ago i did a quote like that for a 2.6 V6 audi coupe and it only came out to £440 with the AA

is your a vtec? if so what sort of money are you paying? as your younger than me should give me a sort of figure i am looking at

oooooooOOOOOOoooooo test day :confused:

got an hour before to get to the test centre and do a few practice manouvers(have to do bay parking in some strange size bays)

oh an found something strange last night.

i did a quote under my dads insurance for a named driver for a 1.6vtec civic.

and it came out to the same price basically as a 1.4 78bhp ibiza :/