1995 clio 1.2

martinp

ive got a clio 1.2 on a 95 reg an im lookin at gettin it faster.... what options are there open to me? engine conversions? which engiones are best? vague price ranges? all help is needed thanks!
plus help with wheel/tyre size +lowering, im running 14's with 175/60/14's atm but im lookin to change to somethin a bit better?! thanks to anyone that can help

Hi you if you are starting off fresh u want to buy lowering kit get handling better dont buy to big of wheelss e.g. 15"s then lower say 40 mm then you may want to get manifold and maybe staright threw exhaust, uprate the cams.

Thanks for the Tip savage clio. Sorry MartinP - for some reason I missed your post. I thought I read everything on this forum but you managed to slip past me.

Welcome to the forum MartinP (and Savageclio). Its really nice to have you along. I've seen some pretty mad engine swaps on the Clio. The most sensible is probably getting a 172 cup doner and fitting parts from that to your clio.

With engines the bigger your baseline the greater the power gain will be.

hey and welcome guys.
fitting a williams clio engine if you can find one might be an easier swap. ( both came out of the bodyed clio). another option may be to wait a few months until the new 1.2 turbo clio engine starts to get written off. this might not hurt as much on isurance if your still relitivly young

hi guys and thanks for all your input but with the way my insurance is at the minute i dont think im going to change the engine i think im just going to tidy the car up and try and tune it up as much as possible ie cams and wat not i just cant seem to find anyone that sell or distributes parts for a 1.2 n reg clio could anyone help with some links please?

Hi mate and welcome back. Where have you been?

Piper or Kent will be able to grind your cams into a racing profile for you. Insurance can be a real killer of our tuning plans though. :(

Just to let you know as a point of reference, We have been playing around with small engines and diesel turbos, One that we are looking at the mo is a fiat cinqento and fitting a diesel turbo,

Now just thing, We run 7-9 psi, we mount the turbo remotely, i.e along a section of the exhaust, you dont need an intercooler as the air gets cooled on its way back up, Good fun and will shock the MOT man when he goes underneath!!!

for engines conversions consider
1.4 turbo from a renault 5 120 bhp but badge the car as a 1.4rt that will suprise a few cars (but you would not be lying)
1.8 8v from an clio rsi 110 bhp i had 1 and it was very nippy
1.8 16v from either a clio 16v or 19 16v 135 bhp had 2 and they were alot of fun
2.0 16v from a williams or megane coupe 150 bhp never driven either but would imagine to be quite quick if the 16v is anything to go by

for lowering 40mm drop and 195/45/15 it looks spot on and handles great

thanks for all your interest guys the imput is great....
right cams can be reground is there anything else i can do to the 1.2 engine?
at the minute the only thing im consuntrating on getting it as fast as is my old 1989 1275 mini as my brother now owns it and thinks its funny to race and beat me all the time, ive been looking into remaps but i dont know if i want to spend 250 pounds just to get 15 bhp and 15 lb-ft of torque? is it worth it?
is there anywhere i could get an aftermarket carb? as this is the biggest problem when pulling off theres nothing there! i cant even find a tubular stainless manifold for it either! any body know of some good renault sites sept for k-tec?

Rather than modding yours to make it faster put some suger in his fuel tank and watch his engine bog down. :lol:

I doubt a remap would give you that much unless you do other mods. Carb wise the Weber twin 40's are superb but doubt you'll get them on your 1.2 - setting them up can be a pain. Isn't your car injected anyway so a carb would be a bit of a step backwards when you can increase the fuelling through your injection system?

no mycars the 1.2 single point injection (carb)
ive emailed ktec racing to see what they can do and to be honest it isnt a fat lot,
is there any other sites anybody knows of??

You might find that a Clio 1.4 or 1.6 Carb (if they exist) will fit - the jet sizes should be right for the intake aperture.