Torque Cars

Induction kit or better filter on Clio?

Discussion in 'Clio' started by Elbisrever, 11 April 2012.

1. Elbisrever

Elbisrever Newbie

Netherlands
    Car:
    2003 1.6 clio
    Hey guys. I drive a 2003 1.6 16v Clio. As I read, doing something about the intake of the engine is one of the easier things to do. Now I also know that a 1.6 isn't really big, but I still like to tweak a bit.
    I read on the site that putting a Induction kit to replace the airfliter-box isn't really worth it, since the air under the bonnet tends to warm up so much that it will actually rob you of power.

Is this true? And how come this does not happen to other cars, where it is recommended to put in an Induction kit?

So, what would be the advice: Go for an induction kit, or replace the filter with a better one ( in both cases prolly K&N)?

Thanks! :)

2. turbonutter69

turbonutter69 TC ModFather Moderator

Alone in the dark.
    Car:
    Insignia SRI.
    An induction kit will reduce power slightly if just slammed in the engine bay due to it being open for heat soak.
    With a decent heat shield and a direct cold air feed there are slight gains to be had. (Not necessarily more bhp but better throttle response.)
    If you want the roar then go for an open filter but make sure you fit a good heat shield and cold air feed.
    Alternatively have a look at BMC's CDA closed induction kits. A bit pricey mind and don't expect much gains from either method.

3. Elbisrever

Elbisrever Newbie

Netherlands
    Car:
    2003 1.6 clio
    OK, tnx for the info! :) I'll prolly save the money for something else then. :p