i want a hot hatch??!

tommo92

Car
grande punto
How do,

i posted on this forum a while back asking about a good hot hatch.. and my search still goes on.

i have had to re-think what i want and what i can afford. my budget has gone down a fair bit :sad2: (due to one thing or another).

i am still looking for a hot hatch. :bigsmile:

orginally i was so close to getting a s3 but i think i wont be able to afford everything that comes with one. Buying the car, insuring it, running it etc i think it will take all my cash haha.

i have a budget of around 10k for everything the car and insurance, mods etc.

as i said before my best mate is getting a s3 and he will be cocky with it, so i would like something to beat it on the streets. it is 100% guaranteed when we both get our cars he will want to race, and i know lots of cars would loose to a s3.

so please help what are good motors for what i am looking for. i do like the looks of the type r at the moment, and also the seats.

cheers lads. :confused:

In your budget EP3 or EK9 or RS Clio all very good drivers car and would slay the portly S3 on track or through some twisties. If you want something that will rape an S3 in the turns and in a straight line you need to be test driving a few Focus RS or Megane R26's moyte.

aslong as i can keep up , or even get away faster than him i will be happy.

we wont be racing on tracks btw.

We don't condone street racing, sir. Its dangerous! On saying that.... if nobody is around and doesn't catch you.... ;) But I am not suggesting anything.

Does it have to be a hot hatch? Thought about a Subaru? If not... them Seat Leon cupra R's are bloody fast! with a budget of 10K you can afford it, plus a few tasty mods that will destroy an S3.

Focus ST with an intercooler and remap. As standard it's as fast as an S3. Plus for the same money it'll be about 4 or 5 years younger. And handle better.

yeah the leon cupra R do look nice in and out, plus good on mpg for a hot hatch.

it will be my day to day car, i do about 30 miles a day for work so the better on the fuel the better.

30 miles a day is too short to have to settle for diesel.

I dunno about that. I'd go derv over petrol for grunt alone! ! The midrange slam (350+lbft) is enormous and it's gonna make commuting effortless and outrageously rapid without the need to work the 'box constantly.

I dunno about that. I'd go derv over petrol for grunt alone! ! The midrange slam (350+lbft) is enormous and it's gonna make commuting effortless and outrageously rapid without the need to work the 'box constantly.

I suppose being a diesel fan I'd agree... The man is looking for a hatch... not a coupe.

OP have you considered a Golf GT diesel and have it remapped, with a front mount intercooler, some tasty suspension mods? Or a Golf Vr6 petrol and have it remapped, maybe supercharged with the same modifications? They come along at around £3k to £4k for a decent one.

Last edited:
i am still looking, i am going to hopefully get it at the beginning of next year, so i can get the most funds possible. I am not a VW fan at all so i would not even dream of buying one haha.

i am still looking, i am going to hopefully get it at the beginning of next year, so i can get the most funds possible. I am not a VW fan at all so i would not even dream of buying one haha.

Just buy an S3 and modify it to beat his... Simples.. :)

Don't get me wrong I'm a diesel fan, but there's so many epic hot hatches these days that sound sweet, the scream of a type R, the thrum of a focus ST or C30 T5, the shimmy of a V6 R32/R36 etc.

Best off test-driving as many as possible.

Don't get me wrong I'm a diesel fan, but there's so many epic hot hatches these days that sound sweet, the scream of a type R, the thrum of a focus ST or C30 T5, the shimmy of a V6 R32/R36 etc.

Best off test-driving as many as possible.

In fairness I don't disagree. I've kind of forgotten how the hot hatch has grown up in the last ten years into something that's genuinely rapid.

So, yes, as mr Y says, take your time ad test drive lots.

Has to be hands down Nissan Pulsar pick one up for around 3-4 grand, insurance wont be too bad, then spend another 4 grand replacing and upgrading everything. You will literally leave the S3 way behind. Fastest thing ive seen off the start, my mate always smokes my mapped focus ST

For £10k I'd want something with RWD.

675a8144.gif

£10k. I'd be looking to buy a bargain plot of land in Spain. Wouldn't bother wasting it on a Car

The Leon Cupra R is IMO the best bet here for a fast cheap to run and easy to mod hot hatch.

What about a Golf GTi or the GTDi version? Plenty of grunt and loads of economy plus a fairly low insurance rating.

Lancia Delta integrale. :bigsmile:
That way when you come to sell your 'investment' it will have gone up not lost value ! ;)

It's also a nice 4wd as well.

Trouble with edition 30s is that they are 3 or 4k more than a standard GTI, but a grand will get you an intercooler and remap up to past 230bhp anyway.

Lancia Delta integrale. :bigsmile:
That way when you come to sell your 'investment' it will have gone up not lost value ! ;)

It's also a nice 4wd as well.

I couldn't imagine a Delta making anyone money unless they don't intend to drive it and store it in a temperature controlled environment. Non car snobs could get the Pulsar for a fraction which is basically a Japenese Delta

Problem with a Cupra R is they're about as exciting to drive as one of these:

128983596.jpg

And handle in a simular fashion. Pulsars are ok until they break, which is constantly and you will struggle like hell to find a decent one. Plus how anyone can bare to sit inside it with that interior for more than 10 minutes is beyond me.

You could get a boosted EP3 for your budget which will run 300hp on standard internals forever and ever plus the chassis really is great.

Problem with a Cupra R is they're about as exciting to drive as one of these:

128983596.jpg

LOL!

Didn't think they were that bad! A friend of mine has one!

Or.. A Ford Focus RS Mk1? I've seen guys in Fast Ford magazine at around 380bhp with a few mods, that set them back around £5000. MA has one! :D

They always over talk cars in most magazines but 342hp has been seen on standard turbo with live map but that's,pushing the turbo to its very limits. I will have around 370hp once live mapped but I want to swap the chargecooler for A2A first. Standard internals, hybrid turbo, tubular mani, turbo back milltek and a couple of other simple mods.

i have settled on a type r, so its now a choice of EP3 or FN2 which is a hard choice, because i can think pro and cons for each.

i have settled on a type r, so its now a choice of EP3 or FN2 which is a hard choice, because i can think pro and cons for each.

curious here but other than the fn2 being newer, what are the other pros over the ep3??:confused: