stylish Sporting Diesel Hatch for a long journey including mountain roads?

aston

The Torque Meister
Car
VOLVO and VW
A while ago I drove a diesel mk2 Focus to the Italian Riviera, I drove it in a day, (last time in a 1.6 mx5), Great, lots of endless motorway then the mountain roads, this got me thinking, what would be the best cheapish used diesel hatch to do the trip in, I was thinking Alfa 147 150, Fiat Grande Punto sporting 130, The Focus was superb, great handling but not tiring at all, very comfortable, just far from exciting to look at.
Thanks as always

I see where you are going with the Alfa, yes it does look nice BUT any other choice should take into account a possible breakdown and the possible difficulty in getting the car repaired at short notice abroad.

Thanks,I guess you are assuming that Alfa and Fiat are unreliable, funnily enough I have a friend who's business is used car warranty, operating in three continents and turning over literally millions, I asked him if Alfa were as bad as they say, No he replied, not bad at all, OK I retorted
What brand should I avoid at all cost, BMW he replied, "They don't know how to make a car!" Also quite a few VAG products (VAG I avoid anyway)
So later in the week I saw a mechanic friend asked him to guess the warranty guys answer as to what should be avoided, BMW and Mercedes he said, so it seems the word on the street form those in the know is avoid German,,,,, And Italian not too bad,,,
Think I'll stick with the Focus