The first hot hatch

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Was the Golf GTi the car that started off and defined the hot hatch or did another model kick things off?

Were there any other models that had better performance but are largely ignored?

What about the XR3i RS Turbo, R5 Gordini Turbo, 205 GTi? Did these cars compete, improve or just follow the Golf GTi.

Did the hot hatch go off the boil during 1994-2003? What do you regard as modern hot hatches?

Depend on your definition of a hot hatch

GTi came out in 1975 I think but the japanese were making hatchbacks in the early 70s and some were around in the late 60s .

The 240z comes to mind immeadiately and I reckon it was lot hotter than the VW.

^^ That's interesting Brian, I have only ever thought of hot hatches as small cars. Still cannot make up my mind about this, need to consult the history books I think.

Funny how our perceptions are sometimes a tad wayward

The 240z is not a big car at all . It is smaller all round than the mk5 golf and only 50mm longer than the 1992 GTi
(surprised me as well )

Funny how our perceptions are sometimes a tad wayward

The 240z is not a big car at all . It is smaller all round than the mk5 golf and only 50mm longer than the 1992 GTi
(surprised me as well )

Indeed peoples perceptions do differ and thank goodness for that! Not sure if I am confusing the 240Z with the 280Z for size.
Bottom line, not what I would call a hot hatch, sexy looking - yes, street presence - yes, but for me to describe it as a hot hatch- no!

well if the question is what was the first car that drove and looked like a golf gti Os it would be very surprising if the answer was anything else