Expensive sat nav updates - why?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I wonder why sat nav updates are so expensive! I've tried a few different types now and as I only ever use it a few times a year I can't justify the typical £20 per quarter for map updates.

I paid over £100 for the sat nav in the first place, surely if they dropped the price of maps for low users to £20 a year they would get a lot more subscribers signing up.

My phone has built in sat nav and this is always current! I don't think the sat nav companies will be able to get away with charging so much for updates, or charging at all if more people switch to phone based sat nav, although getting a good signal coverage is sometimes a problem.

For the same reason printer inks are so expensive, once you've bought it your a captive audience. I did you use Google's Navigation software on my phone to get me out a maze of streets the other week & I have to say I was impressed how well it worked. :)

All of that is nothing! Saab want and depending where you shop; between £350 & £450 plus the VAT for a Sat Nav DVD which is already two years out of date :mad:

Wish I new about the link yugguy posted up recently, much sooner ;)