Most expensive car parts

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Which part of a car is generally the most expensive, and don't say the engine because that is made up with other parts.

A turbo unit can set you back a good few hundred but I doubt even this is typically the most expensive part.

(Bear in mind if it is an Audi part you can double the usual VW/SEAT cost though!)

So what are the most expensive parts to replace on your car, not counting labour costs?

Don't know yet and hopefully won't find out too soon.

What I can tell you is that BMW service parts from a BMW dealer are far cheaper than service parts from Halfords.

Quick examples:

1. Cabin filters for my car (it has two, one each side) are £33 each from Halfords.
From a BMW dealer - £29.97 for the pair and they throw in an oil filter as well !! Oh yeah - and BMW throws in the O ring seals and a drain plug washer as part of the pack. I suspect that BMW might want a penny or two to fit them, however, but it's a 30 second job, even for me.

2. Coolant concentrate. Halfords says I need 5.5 litres of their Advanced coolant concentrate at £8 per litre. So therefore I need to buy 6 litres at £8 per litre. Cost: £48

BMW branded coolant. They say 3 litres is sufficient and 3 litres cost me just £17.91

God knows how much a shell would cost. Second to that you're talking thousands for some new turbos, things like rods, pistons and crankshafts are also very expensive.

Aye but that's second-hand. Unless something goes seriously wrong you should never need a crank, rods or pistons. The pistons rings and bearings are the wear items.

Agreed.

Even rings and bearings should stand up to normal usage with proper servicing and half sensible driving though?

I've not yet had to have an engine opened up but I do keep up with the service schedules and use the correct oils, fluids etc.

Very true, piston ring and bearing wear is a normal process though. This depends on a number of factors including mileage, type of driving, engine warm-ups, quality of oil, servicing etc etc.

Usually in this day and age though they will last as long as you need them to with enough looking after!

I guess are we talking OE parts or tuned parts?

Not had the misfortune to need to purchase new OE parts, but a plenum assembly on mine was over £600 at one point. Cambelts changes were just under £1k when MGR were still operating, even a kit is a couple of hundred, if OE spec.

Uprated items such as coilovers are around £600 and around £1k for a ATB diff unit assembled. Not much compared with some marques.

Land Rover is another matter................I try not to look as it scares me to find out the truth regarding OE pattern parts!