Are modified cars expensive to run

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Do you think it is expensive to run a modified car?

Are there certain mods or cars you should avoid if you want to avoid really heavy bills or is it more to do with the way you drive and maintain the car?

Depends if it is a daily driver or an occasional one. Plenty of mods can be done that makes it a pain to drive on the road but expensive, not sure. I guess the first expense is fuel. I think with today's cars and level of technology they are pretty reliable in use. Otherwise it may be upgraded wheels and tyres getting pounded by the terrible roads we have and how we tend to go for big diameters and 'o' ring profile tyres. Lowered and uprated suspension causing issues with every moving part, again due to the roads.

I'm in a relativly lucky position in that my toy isn't my dialy driver. I don't do many miles these days (around 8000) and most journeys are short, so the VW Fox I sort of inherited does the job fine. Compared to the Chevy Blazer (which I still have but need to change the brake servo) the VW saves me around £1800 pa on fuel.

Therefore, the toy can be built without the compromises required with a daily driver.

My baby is heavily modified and used daily driving into London in the rush hour traffic. Yes it does love a drop of petrol but that has never bothered me. I do spend a pound or two on various toys for it, but then that's my choice :)

So far it has proven to be pretty reliable under the circumstances, it does help when you fit quality parts only on the car and having them installed by a craftsman makes a big difference to the cars longevity ;)