Advise needed on adjustable coil spring setup

hough

Road Burner
Car
VW T5 swb 2.5tdi
Hi i feel a bit daft asking this, i finally got around to fitting my Hot Tuning adjustable coilover kit to my BMW E46 touring the other day, but all the fitting instructions where in German.....

basically the instructions state the adjuster for the coil spring should be mounted under the spring, but every picture iv seen on the internet show the adjuster on top of the spring, i phoned hot tuning but the people where not much help, so can any of you please tell me if my setup is wrong as in where should the adjuster be on top or under the spring???

im only asking as since the springs have been fitted on my car iv totally emptied my boot and keeped my fuel tank about half full and noticed that the ride height on the left hand side keep changing by about 10mm - 20mm lower than the right

if the spring setup is right what could be causing the ride height to keep changing???

i hope this thread makes sence

What do you mean by under or over the spring? Any chance of a photo to clarify?

this is not a picture of my car but, the pictures as the instructions show the coil spring adjuster to be under the spring but almost every diagram iv seen on the internet shows the adjuster to be on top of the coil spring when looking at bmw e46`s

so which is the right way around or does it not matter

Attachments

• pring 1.jpg
    pring 1.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 8
Stupid boy (me, that is)! I was thinking the spring was on the damper :)

IMO, as the adjuster is, I assume, just to alter ride height then either location will work. If I was to be anal (as if I ever am) then I would suggest fitting on top would be best as it is then sprung weight rather than unsprung weight if fitted under the spring.

Last edited:
sorry the kit says its a coil over kit, but the back is separate...

silly question then old git but if i was to ignore the hot tuning instructions and put the adjuster on top like other suspension kits, would this solve the problem of the random ride heights, cos as i stated the ride height seems to change every time i drive the car and there is a funny squeaking noise from the back end since the suspension was fitted....

Is the adjuster adjustable? If not, then it will simply increase the ride height of the car a set amount (regardless of which end of the spring it is fitted) and wouldn't be the cause of the variation in height. The squeaking could be caused by movement between the spring ends and the spring seats/adjusters. Try spraying a liberal dose of WD40 or similar over the spring seats.

Last edited:
the adjuster is adjustable, as i said its under the spring at the moment, but even tho the adjuster does not seem to of moved the back of my car is empty and the fuel tank is about 1/2 full and the ride height height on the rear left seems to change randomly and im not sure why....

dont think i will ever buy hot tuning stuff again, as i guess you get what you pay for, and i bet other companies give clear instructions in english too and not just german

thanks loz but no i had to translate on the laptop using google, but the instruction it gave were vague, iv lowered other cars in the past, ok a long time ago but it lowering kit was the worst iv every got, and the customer care service at hot tuning aint great either

will swap the adjuster over as old git said and put the adjuster ontop of the spring and see if this helps keep the suspension level......

I can't see how moving the adjuster will alter the random height change, as the distance between the suspension and body will not be changed by repositioning the adjuster. There is something else wrong. How and when are you measuring the height change?

the way i measured the ride height i know its most probably the best way but iv been measuring from the edge of the wheel rim to the under side of the wheel arch,

iv been measuring before and after most times i drive the car, and made should that the boot is empty and the fuel tank is roughly half full to try and keep a constant weight in the boot

Attachments

• wheel1.jpg
    wheel1.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 2
  • wheel2.jpg
    wheel2.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 3
I had the same issue when I fitted my coilovers. And after investigation the cause was one of the adjusters wasn't seated correctly. Hope this helps

Loz - the car park where my sleeps at nights is quite level, others places iv been checking the ride height are asda multi store in bournemouth and my father in laws drive way which is almost dead level.

and herb i will have a look at the adjusters next week end as i also need to remove the adjusters from under the coilspring and put them on top

also iv been told the ride height on bmw sometimes varies from side to side thus have different size springs, not sure if this is true but im looking into it

but thanks guys