advise needed

weber44idf

Torque Junkie
Car
xjs jaguar
can someone please tell me if a clutch master cylinder can be used as a brake master cylinder ( currently changing the pedal box to twin masters on the brake circuit for bias adjustment ) one for the front & the other the rear , The brake master has a check valve to retain a very low pressure in the brake system ( to stop air from knock on ) other than this they are the same has any one done it previously ?

If the master cylinder retains a certain amount of pressure this may have the effect of keeping the clutch release bearing in constant contact with the clutch cover fingers, increasing wear. Apart from this the only differences will be in the bore diameter.

However, if you are fitting two new cylinders for the brakes, why not get a new cltuch cylinder as well?

Yes you can use a brake master cylinder in place of the clutch one, if it has a check valve it is a simple matter to remove it

No No sorry for the confusion i want to use a clutch master for one of the brake masters ( one front wheels and the other as the rear }

No No sorry for the confusion i want to use a clutch master for one of the brake masters ( one front wheels and the other as the rear }
This is a different equation altogether, if you have discs on all four wheels then its best to use two identical brake master cylinders, a clutch master cylinder will not have a check valve and should not be used, if you have drums at the rear then two brake master cylinders with the brake cylinder for the rear of a different size could be used- depends on the rear wheel cylinder size-

thanks , my pedal box has an adjustable centre fulcrum between both brake master cyliners , both of the masters are the same bore size . adjusting the fulcrum allows the bias to be adjusted front to rear . there is a seperate clutch master cylinder which will remain unchanced . one of the two master cylinders i am using for the brakes was a clutch master the only difference is the check valve is missing . i have 4 pot front and 2 pot rear , WHAT DOES THE CHECK VALVE DO ?

"WHAT DOES THE CHECK VALVE DO ?"
A check valve is there to retain some residual pressure in the line, without a check valve all the fluid would push back into the master cylinder, leaving very little fluid in the wheel cylinders, with the result that during the next application of brakes the wheel cylinders have first got to fill before operating the cylinder pistons, net result: longer pedal travel, or worse still, no brakes unless you pump the pedal.

what do you call a blind reindeer with no legs? still no eye deer!

the oldies are the best! :cheesy: