Females and safety belts advise

TCJBOLDIE

Staff member
Car
2011 Honda FN2
In my time as an defensive driver trainer I have noticed a number of potentially dangerous things they do when wearing the belts.

1 wear the diagonal strap under their arm.( can cut major blood vessels in a crash, won't restrain the upper body as designed)

2 wear the belt under the breast ( potential severe damage to it when the belt tightens up and straightens and takes up any slack as well allowing the upper body move closer to wheel and airbag exploding @ over 200kph etc)

3 tend to hold it away from their breast usually to stop crushing their outfit or they say they don't like the feel of the strap ( Upper body will move further forward in a frontal crash and will not hold the upper body in position in a side impact collision)

4 have the diagonal strap behind their back ( even less restraint than the above situations as the top 1/2 of the body will flop around with disastrous results.

I recommend that you should always ensure there are no twists in the belts and tighten the diagonal strap every time to remove any slack especially if you are rugged up in winter.