Which Gauges are the most useful?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Just wondering what the most useful dials to have in a car would be:-

Boost Guage, Oil Temp/Pressure, Water Temp, Volts, Amps, Vacuum gauge , air flow, air temp, weather barometer, compass, clock etc...

Speedo and Rev counter are a given, so if you could choose 3 which would it be?

If it was a Turbo I guess I'd choose:

Boost Guage, Oil Temp/Pressure, Water Temp in that order.

If it was N/A it would be Oil Temp/Pressure, Water Temp, Clock.

I don't think guages for electrics really come into use that much, neither does air flow, unless you have an air/fuel ratio controllwe. Air temp?! Handy to know but not really that important..

Barometer? Are you taking the piss Wayne?!

Vacuum guage.. Don't really know what this would show you..

For normally aspirated engines.

Oil pressure, is a definate must IMO. Along with water temp (graduated in degrees not "C-N-H")!
An Ammeter or voltmeter is handy.

Along with a caution panel to show if any light bulbs have blown or oil level low etc (The BMW E30 used to have this really useful option).

AFR/EGT/MAP all for tuning, conditions or performance and could be logged with tuning software or a regular trip to a workshop diagnostic to check on if required, along with a 4-gas analyzer printout.

Last edited:
I have Oil temperature which proves useful.
Don't need fuel gauge as OBC does that.
I'd quite like boost pressure but I don't want aftermarket fitments

I have Oil temperature which proves useful.
Don't need fuel gauge as OBC does that.
I'd quite like boost pressure but I don't want aftermarket fitments

Oil temp is useful. Better indication of when your engine is warm than water temp. You could always incorporate a boost gauge into your standard dash somewhere. Post a picture of the dash maybe?

Essential ones imo are oil pressure, oil temp and AFR. Boost is nice too.

does your dash have an LCD panel Hdi ? have seen a few golfs turbos with R32 clocks (LCD is twice the hight for the satnav) the eprom have been re programmed to show the boost taking the info from the ECU

There is an LCD panel which is monochrome in the instrument cluster.

There's also another in the middle of the dashboard (also monochrome) which is a multi function jobbie - show's door open warnings, ICD settings, fuel remaining.

Hang on - I'll take a pic,

helps a bit - might be worth doing some research to see if the trip counter/ odimeter can have itself reprogramed. show milage when engine is off and boost when its on

cant find a pic of what im on about but wll keep searching later on

The one in the insutrument cluster also shows miles 'til next serice at switch on, followed by engine oil level. Reverts to odometer after about ten seconds.

The one in the middle of the dashboard does, ave speed, MPG, av MPG, remaining mines etc. all controlled by switch on end of wiper stalk. It also shows open doors, light fail, and a multitude of error messages, most of which I ;am happy to say, I've not seen.

Perhaps an extra mode could be added?

Hmmm if i could have 3? Oil temp/pressure (kind of cheating i know), Boost, and EGT. No need for afr if you can see what the temps are doing, and will give you a much better warning if anything is about to melt :p