Most useful car gadgets

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Cars all seem to come with loads of gadgets nowadays from DVD players, MP3 interfaces and automatic lights and wipers.

Which gadget on your car gets the most use? Which ones are hardly ever used?

Are there any gadgets or functions that you wish your car had?

I quite like the fact that when I hold my unlock button on my keyfob down the windows all open. It means the car cools down more quickly and I don't have to manually press each windows down button!

I hardly use my MP3 player function on my radio but I listen to DAB all of the time.

I like the windscreen wipers on the Focus. It still amuses me when I have them on constant for rain but when I pull up to a stop they auto go on intermitant. I know most cars do it now but it still amuses me.:lol::lol:

I used to like the rain sensing wipers on the Peugeot. Not that it takes 1/2 second to change the intermittent delay time but I liked it.

Also liked the electric seats. Completely pointless as well and probably add a couple of dozen kg needless weight.

I think the best gadget ever is cruise control. With more & more average speed camera's about it has/will become even more usefulerer. :amuse:

I do miss the cruise control but alas it had to go from the engine bay for the greater good of other modifications. What i do like is the flip in/out wing mirrors at the touch of a button, they are priceless when going through some of the country lanes and you are faced with oncoming traffic of which the drivers can't drive closer to their kerbside than three foot. :bigsmile:

I think the best gadget ever is cruise control. With more & more average speed camera's about it has/will become even more usefulerer. :amuse:

Had that in the 406 as well. The new car has it as well.

I never found it quite as useful as I imagined it might be. The 406 system was savage when you pushed the lever up to accelerate. More like launch control. Why make it like this? If I wanted full power I'd override with the pedal anyway.

I do miss the cruise control but alas it had to go from the engine bay for the greater good of other modifications. What i do like is the flip in/out wing mirrors at the touch of a button, they are priceless when going through some of the country lanes and you are faced with oncoming traffic of which the drivers can't drive closer to their kerbside than three foot. :bigsmile:
this is what i would like on the Subaru.

find that electric seats are unnecessary, extra weight and can just as easily adjust it manually.

Rear view mirror monitor and colour camera for reversing! the other half put a nice dent in the rear bumper with the help of a bollard last year, so she paid for the damages and I fitted the camera, happy days :bigsmile:

Erm..... I dont think I have ever had a car that has some sort of a fancy gadget? My evo has loads but its all under the bonnet. Id have to say..... Erm.... my cup holder? lol

Barely used cruise control in the Alfa. Miss the sunroof every time I'm not in the GT now the weather's nice. Simple things please simple minds and all that :lol:

Let's face it, the most useful car gadget is an in-car boost controller lol.

One amusing gadget on a 406 coupe is the way the window drops an inch when closing the door...it's useful as it stops the pillarless glass from breaking...electric seats are useless..heated seats are just a laugh when someone jumps in the passenger seat in the summer and you flick it on and giggle as they wriggle about like a dog with worms.:lol:...:confused: