When driving in rain how much do you use your wipers?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I drive my passengers nuts by keeping them on the slowest setting. I would argue that the smears caused by the wiper reduce visibilty more than the specs but APPARENTLY this is not the case!

Am I alone on this one?

Has anyone used rain-x?

Most days I use intermitant & the next click up when passing lorries on the motorway, very rarely have I felt the need to use the faster settings as when the rain is really heavy it doesn't seem to matter what speed the wipers do anyway! Personally I find fast moving wipers distracting.

Use the sensitivity setting on the wipers so i cheat a bit.
like them as slow as possible while keeping the windcreen clear link Loz i find them rather distracting going at full whack

i have used rain-x. never get the type of rain where i used to live that they show in the commercials. i put some on my window and some on my wipers. i did notice that the water didn't stick to the glass as much but that was only in light rain. never tried it with storm weather. only dirve then if i have to.

I found rain-x was really smeary on cold mornings but worked really well in heavy rain. It was wierd being able to drive along with no wipers going. They use it on aircraft apparently.

Glad I'm not alone with the slowest wiper setting going.

Another vote for Rain-X here,

It's brilliant stuff. Just ensure the screen is cleaned well before application to get all the oil and dead fly gunk off it. Toothpaste and a wet cotton cloth works well for this.

In heavy rain you'll wonder why everyone is using their wipers and trying to peer through rain-smeared glass.

I've used toothpaste as a cutting polish in the past. You can get a product from Halfords that does the same job but a tube of Tesco value toothpaste is much cheaper. You've got to use the emulsive ones though - the gel stuff doesn't work.

Astonish bug and tar remover is good for traffic film as well and at 99p/750ml is good value.

I have used something similar to RainX in 1987 - I think it was called ZOIG. That, too, gave me some smearing problems if the wipers had to be used on a cold morning.

PIAA do wipers with silicone in them that leave a coating on the screen. They were fitted when i bought my car over a year ago, and had probably been on for a year before and still work great, no need to re-application :blink1:

PIAA do wipers with silicone in them that leave a coating on the screen. They were fitted when i bought my car over a year ago, and had probably been on for a year before and still work great, no need to re-application :blink1:

DO they work without that smeary effect? I'm looking at a pair aerotwin retrofits for my car. The car's 7 yrs old so has standard blades. Anyone tried 'em? I think they made by Valeo and are excitingly called X.TRM

I have to say there is slight smearing for a little bit after i wash the screen or something, but remember my blade are a minimum 1.5 years old, and you can buy replacement blades separately so no need for the whole wiper.

Have heard nothing about the brand you mentioned though

I have to say there is slight smearing for a little bit after i wash the screen or something, but remember my blade are a minimum 1.5 years old, and you can buy replacement blades separately so no need for the whole wiper.

Have heard nothing about the brand you mentioned though

Valeo makes all sorts of parts for OEM and aftermarket usage. Including clutches, brakes and other systems.

The blades I'm considering are an aftermarket conversion to let me use flat blades on standard OEM wiper arms.