Winter driving tips for rain, flood, snow and foggy road conditions.

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
The biggest danger from rain is a condition know as aquaplaning, caused by drivers going too fast for the road conditions. Aquaplaning happens when the tyre is unable to expel the water and a film of water builds up under the tyre causing the car to "float" over the road surface. When this happens the steering will feel light and you will have no control over the car. Braking, steering and accelerating should all be avoided as these can adversely affect the car and provoke a skid.

Continue reading...

Some good advice there |B
People also need to remember as tyres wear their ability to disperse water decreases so in certain conditions they will aquaplane at lower speeds.
Best advice for all conditions is to stay further back,look further ahead and concentrate on the job at hand = driving safely and being fully aware of the prevailing conditions at all times.

Observation, anticipation and planning are the keys to just about everything really, nothing to add apart from: Turn off the rear fog lights when visibility is restored!!!!

Front fogs are a non issue - they cast a low wide beam pattern (if they have not been pimped up with HiD lamps, which have no place in fog lights due to totally wrong spectral colour distribution). Leaving them on is silly and pointless but it's also harmless.

In heavy fog I switch to sidelights and use front fog lights to provide close range vision. Basically, if you are using front fogs your speeds are likely to be very low indeed due to severely impaired visibility. Most cars will only allow rear fogs to be turned on with front fogs, if they are fitted. This is a clue to how bad vision needs to be before you switch on the rear ones. HID dips are a nuisance in fog, the shorter wavelengths of light that comprise a larger part of the total output of such lamps does nothing to aid your vision - the reflex from the fog can be an impediment to vision.

I'd like to see a return to selective yellow for front fog lights.