When do you use your hazard lights

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
We all have hazard lights on our cars. The question though is when do you use them and when is hte correct way to use them.

White van man uses them to render his van invisible whilst illegally parked. I've also seen quite a few drivers flash them whilst approaching a queue on the motorways.

I hardly ever use them. I do however use them on the country lanes if I have to slow down or stop near a bend. If I see queueing traffic then I'll wait on the bend rather than go round it so cars see me before the corner rather than when they've rear ended me.
But generally I don't use them very often.
Oh yeah and I use them when I'm on a Circuit driving round to my Marshall post.

ah thats clever hdi..

i did my driving theory last month and according to the highway code you are supposed to use them when there is a hazard on the motor way and you have to slow down, other than this i dont think i would actually use mine at all

The rules have changed a bit as once upon a time it was forbidden to use them at all if the vehicle was in motion.

I don't have a problem with vans parking to make deliveries. Hazard lights confirm to other road users what's going on.

The rules have changed a bit as once upon a time it was forbidden to use them at all if the vehicle was in motion.

I don't have a problem with vans parking to make deliveries. Hazard lights confirm to other road users what's going on.

And most vans try to get half on the pavement round here to help traffic flow smoother whilst they are making deliveries.

Only time I really use them is when traffic slows to a sudden stop or crawl on the motorway or Dual Carriageway.

One thing to watch for is if you ARE using them to park temporarily (and what you think of this practice is for another thread) make sure that you've made all your light clusters visible. otherwise it could be construed that you've applied an indicator to let other drivers know that you're move away from rest.

You'd think they'd notice that the car is empty and therefore is highly unlikely to go anywhere at all but sadly lots of 'em don't think that far ahead :-(