Hazard Perception

choness2004

Torque Junkie
Car
Honda Civic EG
Ok guys, theory test is on wednesday and there is just one problem, I'm bricking it on the hazard perception!

I've got a disc for my computer and have been practicing every day but it just doesn't seem to be going right for me. The video quality on it is awful and I can't seem some hazards until its on top of me, by which time its too late.

I've been reading reviews on my disc and people are saying that my disc is harder than the actual test and not to worry.

What are your experiences of the test? And is it really as hard as this disc makes out?

P.S. I am using Driving Test Success: All Test Deluxe 2008/2009 Edition.

I tried a few simulated ones (did my test in 87) recently and it's crap. What they looking for is not hazard perception at all in my opinion. Flag something too early and you get marked down

How stupid is that?

unless its changed in the 7 years it isnt as bad as it seems.

the quality of the video on mines was pretty poor as well but the hazards were pretty obvious. school bus pulls up in front of you etc

I tried a few simulated ones (did my test in 87) recently and it's crap. What they looking for is not hazard perception at all in my opinion. Flag something too early and you get marked down

How stupid is that?

I know! This disc is very similar, I think one of the practices I did had a woman crossing the road as a hazard but not a car pulling out onto you from behind a bus... on a blind corner!

I did mine just under 2 years ago and i found it really easy using the following mantra my instructor gave me, *see the hazard*tap the mouse but dont click* if the hazard is still a hazard after 1 second then click wait 1 second and click again, so basically don't click straight away when you see the hazard and click twice if your going to click at all, hope this helps (for reference i got around 90-95% in the hazard perception)

From What I remember, Think There was an average of 14 Clicks Per Clip but it all depends on WHEN you Click.

From When a Hazard Appears You have 5 Seconds to Click.

If you Click within 1 Second of Spotting it You'll Gain 5 Points. If you take 2 Seconds, you'll gain 4 Points and so on, If you Don't spot it at all And click after 6 seconds then you'll Get Zero Points.

From When you Do it, Just relax and Still Focus and always watch ahead, and rememeber Don't Click Like Mad for Guessing Luck as you might Fail on The Whole Clip

Good Luck

From What I remember, Think There was an average of 14 Clicks Per Clip but it all depends on WHEN you Click.

From When a Hazard Appears You have 5 Seconds to Click.

If you Click within 1 Second of Spotting it You'll Gain 5 Points. If you take 2 Seconds, you'll gain 4 Points and so on, If you Don't spot it at all And click after 6 seconds then you'll Get Zero Points.

From When you Do it, Just relax and Still Focus and always watch ahead, and rememeber Don't Click Like Mad for Guessing Luck as you might Fail on The Whole Clip

Good Luck

That's not hazard perception then. That's a reaction test.

I predate that by 3 years.

In 1987 there was no hazard percpetion test, no theory test etc etc.

And cars ran on distilled motor spirit which was bought from a pharmacist ;)

If your hazard test is a touch screen one then take a few glass wipes and clean the monitor before you start.

the hazzard perception is there most easiest thing on the test i dont no anyone that failed the hazzard perception, i shouldnt worry. and when you do the test your think to yourself ' why did i worry so much' lol

Thanks guys, making me feel a lot more confident already! Will get in some more practice tonight and tomorrow, before hopefully going in on Wednesday, passing and booking my test!

I did my test a few years ago and was worrying too much about it. I used the CD your talking about and got through it no problem. I think i got 3-4 marks off perfect. The CD was pretty much the same as the test

That's not hazard perception then. That's a reaction test.

Well thats how the Test Worked.....Why Do you have to gain Points to Pass?

Offical DSA Website:

Part two - hazard perception

After the break you'll then be shown a short tutorial video clip about how the hazard perception part works.
The hazard perception part is also delivered on a computer but you respond by clicking a button on the mouse. You'll be presented with a series of video clips which feature every day road scenes. In each clip there'll be at least one developing hazard, but one of the car/motorcycle clips will feature two developing hazards.
To achieve a high score you'll need to respond to the developing hazard during the early part of its development. The maximum you can score on each hazard is five.
You won't be able to review your answers to the hazard perception test; as on the road, you'll only have one chance to respond to the developing hazard.

Last edited:
Well thats how the Test Worked.....Why Do you have to gain Points to Pass?

Offical DSA Website:

Part two - hazard perception

After the break you'll then be shown a short tutorial video clip about how the hazard perception part works.
The hazard perception part is also delivered on a computer but you respond by clicking a button on the mouse. You'll be presented with a series of video clips which feature every day road scenes. In each clip there'll be at least one developing hazard, but one of the car/motorcycle clips will feature two developing hazards.
To achieve a high score you'll need to respond to the developing hazard during the early part of its development. The maximum you can score on each hazard is five.
You won't be able to review your answers to the hazard perception test; as on the road, you'll only have one chance to respond to the developing hazard.

I know how it works. I have taken part in surveys and have undertaken mock tests but in my opinion it seems to be a bit weak as a mechanism to determine a learner's ability to PERCEIVE what's most likely to happen.

You DO have more than one chance to respond to a hazardous situation if you are aware of it early enough.

This is why I think that a 20 minute session of free driving with a full commentary from the test candidate would be a better way to determine that driver's full command of what they are seeing, thinking, perceiving etc.

It has to be better than the silly test that's used now.

Commentary whilst you're driving is a great way to align potential hazards in order of importance. It's also a great way to dismiss things that no longer matter - spit them out verbally.

It's the basis of Roadcraft, and the police driving 'system of car control' is based upon this.

Very true Hdi. As when the plod are being taught to drive the traffic cars they have a practical test on the road and the driver has to give a rolling commentary on what is happening around them.

Very true Hdi. As when the plod are being taught to drive the traffic cars they have a practical test on the road and the driver has to give a rolling commentary on what is happening around them.

its also part of the advanced driving and what driving instructors need to do the whole time that they are under assessment

I didn't understand it either really :( I just clicked whenever I saw soemthing like rain or a person and whever they did something stupid.

I did okay on the haazard perception but only got 44 (43 is the pass mark) on the mcq :D

have to admit had never heard of this part of the test until now. but does seem to be not particularly well thought out - met a guy from Malaysia a year ago who lived in the Uk for a while and his comment was the UK drivers are, as standard, some of the best in the world as they practise defensive driving - thinking about potential hazards before they are occuring.

regretfully seems that these tests are no longer reflecting this.

I think a simulator type test would serve the purpose of hazard perception more accurately than a video sequence.

Well I had the theory test this morning and I failed. Got 42 out of 50 on the multiple choice questions (need 43 to pass) and 50 out of 75 on the hazard perception (need 44 to pass).

Strangly, I pass the one I was very nervous about and failed the one I was confident about!

the disks ( at least dvla approved ones ) are not too dissimilar to the actual test, after all they are just clips of a drive along a typical road. just be sure not to go too crazy with the clicker, and if it is a touchscreen wipe it. i failed mine first time due to rubbish technology, you dont want to walk away dissapointed due to someone elses greaze.

i would side with the opinion that it is a faulty test, all it shows is that you can see an obstacle once its occured, but it goes into no depth in testing to see if you can predict a possible problem.

dont worry yourself about it though, if the lousy drivers we love to complain about can pass it, then an actual enthusiast should have few problems. better luck next time.

Last edited: