What was the first time you drove a car?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
A friends mum took me and my mate to a carpark and gave us our first driving lesson in her Rover Metro. We were about 15! :confused:(You just wouldn't get away with this now as you currently need insurance even on private land to which the public has access!)

I floored the throttle and shot off without stalling. Wayhay - I was a natural! She asked me where i'd learned to drive "LIKE THAT! :eek:" and I told her proudly in computer games! That was my last lesson until I hit 17 and then I took a year to learn to drive without using a driving instructor!

My step dad taught me to drive in a massive Mazda 626!

First drive in a car was on my 17th birthday, in a 1.6 Focus from my driving instructor.

9th October through to January 17th - including a 2 week holiday abroad = 3 months flat :D

dad used to sit me on his lap and let me steer at about age of 6 - beat you all!! :D

16. the girlfriend didnt like a particular stretch of road so i got to drive it. stalled twice before getting it goingproperly. wished i had bothered to learn at 17 rather than waiting to 19

16. the girlfriend didnt like a particular stretch of road so i got to drive it. stalled twice before getting it goingproperly. wished i had bothered to learn at 17 rather than waiting to 19

She didnt like a particular stretch of road so she let you, an untrained, inexperienced driver do it with her in the car?

Wonders never cease :p

well i had been moaning about her not driving it and always going the long way round. think she must have just got sick of me getting on at her about it

yeah did marry her in the end

My dad has let me steer before and it was before the age of 8, dunno when. But all I know is that my mum let me drive her 1.8 Triumph Acclaim by myself when I was 8 or 9. By myself with her in the passenger seat, wooooo. I kangaroo'd first time, but second time I hit about 20 miles an hour down a 30 metre drive :-D She was screaming brake, and I stopped 2 inches from the garage door. Funnily enough, she never let me drive again. Then went out on my 17 birthday with my dad in his fiesta...

Dave

My dad has let me steer before and it was before the age of 8, dunno when. But all I know is that my mum let me drive her 1.8 Triumph Acclaim by myself when I was 8 or 9. By myself with her in the passenger seat, wooooo. I kangaroo'd first time, but second time I hit about 20 miles an hour down a 30 metre drive :-D She was screaming brake, and I stopped 2 inches from the garage door. Funnily enough, she never let me drive again. Then went out on my 17 birthday with my dad in his fiesta...

Dave

Bahaha

Awesome :D

heh. i was about 7 or 8 sitting on my dads lap in a sierra xr4i for all of about 30 yards. he did the clutch an i did the throttle an steering... only got to about 15-20 he didnt trust going more.

well an uncle of mine let me steer a tractor when I was 4 or 5 I think and then when I was 14 I drove my sister Accent (or the accident as some us called it) with her in the passenger seet on an old airport which hasn't been used for ages because it is overflooded with bigger rocks so when you are driving you have to be on the steering wheel twisting and turning every second of the drive

Looks like most of us had a driving gap between 14 and 16 then. No joyriders present - that's good! ;)

Looks like most of us had a driving gap between 14 and 16 then. No joyriders present - that's good! ;)

My old best mate effectively stole his Dads A Class Merc, then his mate promptly drove it into a tree. He's now got a scar on his left elbow cos he was in the passenger seat, lol.

Muppet. They wrote it off!

**** happens I guess, he's learnt from it. Haha

I was actually allowed to steer a car when i was 9 lucky me! Then it was the quad bike from 13 ok it aint a car but it was as good as! And then when I worked on a farm at 15 i used to drive the minibus to collect 8.000 eggs lucky me :sad2: , it was an anything for the money job.
Oh and then I practised for my driving test in a pug 306.

My first ever drive was in an old peugeot that belonged to a friend of mine when I was about 14. I don't remember what model it was unfortunately...

When I turned 17 I started learning in a 1.6 Focus, then I switched instructors because the first one was always cancelling lessons and being generally unreliable. The new instuctor brough with him a 1.5 Almera. Which was horrible.

Then I went to university... And stopped learning. Oopsy!

When I came back I carried on learning in my mum's 2l Subaru Forester. I failed in that a few times... Then I got my Fabia, and passed. Hurrah!

I spent a long time learning to drive... Mainly because of stopping learning in the middle though :/

i was about 4 or 5 and my great uncle let me sit on his lap and steer his big ford tractor through a tight gap in the fence :confused:

then when i was about 10 or so my mum would let me steer her little renault 5 around the empty argos carpark

then when i was 16 i bought my civic hatchback but wasnt allowed to drive it (obviously) but when mum went to work i took it for a spin with my best m8 in the carpark and then put it back into the garage (first time driving a manual was pretty succesful)

later that day my girlfriend came round and i took it outve the garage to show her then when putting it back in i crashed into the side of the garage and took loads of paint of the car and dented it pretty bad, i also snapped the support of the garage :confused:

my mum asked who had done it and i told her she mustve done it and she believed me eventhough she didnt remember doing so

I got to drive an old landy round my grandads farm in the summer holidays. Well cool that was.