what sort of clutch is best?

harley royce

Tuner
Car
stage2 r33 gtst
iv got a stage 2 skyline r33 gtst. got about 308bhp. iv left it set up for draging. iv read, and experienced that a softer clutch that can be slipped a bit is best for a good take off. just dumping it leads to wheel spin and not going any where and taking off from any lower revs just bogs it down. so.... i had a heavier duty clutch fitted but that one fried:sad2:, with the new power levels:bigsmile:. is there ever a compromise betwen an even heavier clutch that wont go up in smoke and one that isnt just engaged or not engaged?? does such a thing exist or is it one or the other?

i dont know a huge amount about clutches , however i have tryed a few different combos this was the result
single plate 10.5 " organic & truck pressure plate 300ft lbs blew the material out of the clutch plate replaced with
single plate ceramic 5 puck plate and pressure plate rated to 400 hp fried
replaced with
tripple plate tilton ceramic clutch assy 7.25 " by far the best working clutch & you can slip it a little without the slip /grab shutter of other ceramic clutches
the pedal responce is different but i also use a 1.25 " tilton master cylinder to make life easy

Have you thought of getting a heavier flywheel? This should help stop bogging down.

A softer clutch will only keep burning out. I think a triple plate clutch will give you a progressive action but to be honest I'm not certain what would be best in your Skyline.