Heel and toe double de clutch downchange

TCJBOLDIE

Staff member
Car
2011 Honda FN2
This is something I learned to do when I first started to become interested in becoming a better more skillful driver in cars that had no syncromesh on low gear.1st gear and has stayed with me since and still use it without thinking on down changes regardless of being on the road or at a track day.

I did this in many different cars over the years including cars with 3/4 speed with shifters on the floor or the tree (column)

I still get a kick out of a well rev matched downchange.|B :)

Am I the lone survivor from another time ???

Last edited:
When i'm enjoying a country drive I will do it but in a diesel there is not much of an RPM band to play with. It does feel good when you get it spot on. It must help reduce wear on the transmission though.

I don't tend to bother in daily driving, but I do change gear as fast as I can for some reason.

(Thread title has been corrected for you.)

A technique I have never tried before Rad, have had automatic transmission for years now so there has never been a need to try any fancy footwork.

I learned to change gears without a clutch pedal on older cars with clutch cables snapping, clutch pedals or bulkheads splitting and of course, with hydraulically operated clutches, running out of fluid. Stick the car in first gear then use the starter to get you going, after that it’s a matter of timing the gears to match the speed and load. It’s not so difficult with RWD and conventional gearboxes but with the modern three shaft six spd manual transaxles with three ring synchros it’s trickier.