What is a supercar

Isnt a supercar based on the speed of the car, had understood when a PRODUCTION car reaches speeds of 180-200mph+ it is classed as a supercar?

That theory is crap as the Passat W8 (with limiter removed) would be classed as a super-car and well, it really isn't.

as i mentioned in other posts,

the bhp has to be factory settings, its only then its classed what it is

your car has alot of bhp, but at the end of the day its classed as a family saloon
sorry mate, you dont have a hyper car

My car is a 20year old banger which looks like a Taxi, Im fully aware what it is ;) i didnt suggest cars over 700bhp were Hyper cars whatever that means :p someone else did.

i would add one more think what a car need to have to be a supercar...it has to be in a limited series....not over 500 made or smt like that...but as always there are some exception...for example i would call m6 a supercar..

a supercar can be simply classified by using the ten year old boy test.......as u know lads are into cars from the minute they know what one is..... a supercar is a car that makes a ten year old lad yurn to drive and tell their mates about it at school and make up facts and figures to make their other mates go oooooooooo. my own personal take on a supercar is a car that was initially designed as such, ferrari for example make their cars with every intention of exciting the ten year old boy in us, lamborghini have lost their way of late im afraid, the last insane lambo was the countasch. thats what a supercar is, its got to look like a thing from another world and scare u to death when ya press the loud pedal. supras, 300zx, mits 3000 etc are very fast but they fall well short of the mark imo.

So 2 seats and a big engine where the kids should normally sit!

It also needs to be impossible to reverse or even park and must attract lots of attention. :)

Straight and simple, cars that cost you a fortune to buy and then run i.e. expensive to buy, amusingly pathetic mileage, loads of grunge (noise for some) and low enough in height;);)
Coming to the categorization, like turbonutter69 said, these cars of three types-
the sportscars like the nissan gtr, the supercars like the lamborghini aventador(700bhp) and the hypercars like the Bugatti Veyron and the Koeniggsegg Agera (900bhp+) R:amazed:.
Serious respect for the last two (note- change of cache;))

A supercar will have an engine that is capable of producing several hundred horsepower. This enables the car to go very fast and accelerate very quickly. Though most of the speeds the supercar is capable of reaching are beyond the reaches of the laws of most countries, there will be places where they could be driven at higher speeds legally.

A supercar is a specialized instrument built for speed, but not necessarily built for racing. The supercar often does not have the safety features needed for a truly safe racing experience.These cars are fast going up to 160 m.p.h. in less than 6 seconds.You will pay several hundred thousand dollars to buy one. The top price in the world is for an Ferrari FXX listed at $1.8 Million.Many supercars have rear-wheel drive layout, and a rear mid-engine.

This makes better weight distribution which gives better traction by moving the engine to the back of the car.

Supercars are brand eccentric such as Ferrari, Maserati, Mercedes Benz, Porsche, and Lamborghini among others. Even common brands such as Ford and Honda have had models that ere accepted as supercars.Supercars are brand eccentric such as Ferrari, Maserati, Mercedes Benz, Porsche, and Lamborghini among others. Even common brands such as Ford and Honda have had models that ere accepted as supercars.

A supercar will have an engine that is capable of producing several hundred horsepower. This enables the car to go very fast and accelerate very quickly. Though most of the speeds the supercar is capable of reaching are beyond the reaches of the laws of most countries, there will be places where they could be driven at higher speeds legally.

A supercar is a specialized instrument built for speed, but not necessarily built for racing. The supercar often does not have the safety features needed for a truly safe racing experience.These cars are fast going up to 160 m.p.h. in less than 6 seconds.You will pay several hundred thousand dollars to buy one. The top price in the world is for an Ferrari FXX listed at $1.8 Million.Many supercars have rear-wheel drive layout, and a rear mid-engine.

This makes better weight distribution which gives better traction by moving the engine to the back of the car.

Supercars are brand eccentric such as Ferrari, Maserati, Mercedes Benz, Porsche, and Lamborghini among others. Even common brands such as Ford and Honda have had models that ere accepted as supercars.Supercars are brand eccentric such as Ferrari, Maserati, Mercedes Benz, Porsche, and Lamborghini among others. Even common brands such as Ford and Honda have had models that ere accepted as supercars.

Greetings and Welcome to TorqueCars :)

a supercar should be ridiculously expensive beyond the reach of the common man.only film stars rock stars and multi milionares and footballers can afford.they must have acceleration like a formula one car be as low as a formula one car.and they must be styled like a jet fighter and it must always need fixing.it must also make you scared to drive the beast.and when you see it in your rearview mirror you move over.must do at least 200 mph.

"A supercar should be...." That is what this is all about lol. Everyone giving opinions of what a super car is. I believe back in the 60s a supercar was a car that had amazing performance and had amazing handling, well above muscle/sports cars. I am not sure if there is a set definition for a car being a supercar (everything I'm saying is from memory), but I bet back in the day when the phrase was made popular it didn't had this many requirements.

Now, for me, a supercar is a car that has performance way above the average and handling to match. Looks and styling are a plus, a car can look like it can go from 0 to 60 in 3 seconds, but if it doesn't deliver, then it is just a poser car (the veyron sure as hell doesn't look like it can do 0 to 60 below 3 seconds, but it delivers). Being practical and comfortable are also pluses, but should in no way define what a supercar is. Being comfortable and practical is the description of luxury sedans and other 'normal' cars.

Now, for me, a supercar is a car that has performance way above the average and handling to match. Looks and styling are a plus, a car can look like it can go from 0 to 60 in 3 seconds, but if it doesn't deliver, then it is just a poser car (the veyron sure as hell doesn't look like it can do 0 to 60 below 3 seconds, but it delivers). Being practical and comfortable are also pluses, but should in no way define what a supercar is. Being comfortable and practical is the description of luxury sedans and other 'normal' cars.

You are getting carried away with performance according to that a Veyron is the only Supercar as all others are slow compared to it. In the modded car scene there are cars that can out acclerate a Veyron past 200mph but hardly Supercars. The Mercedes 300SL is one of the greatest Supercars ever but would get beaten to 60 by a Golf GTI so i cant agree with your criteria.

one.jpg

Meh... Super cars are gay. My Girlfriends dad has an Aston martin DB9... It's fast but boring. I wasn't taken back by the speed. The second I sit in my brothers Scooby, I feel huge amounts of adrenaline and excitment, the second he puts his foot down my face resembles the Joker. Thats what makes a supercar, Raw excitement and adrenaline for the driver.

Meh... Super cars are gay. My Girlfriends dad has an Aston martin DB9... It's fast but boring. I wasn't taken back by the speed. The second I sit in my brothers Scooby, I feel huge amounts of adrenaline and excitment, the second he puts his foot down my face resembles the Joker. Thats what makes a supercar, Raw excitement and adrenaline for the driver.

Not saying an Impreza is a supercar.... But regardless.

A DB9 is not a hugely fast car but well built & a no sensible owner would be swapping it for a Scoob :lol:. Neither are Supercars.

A DB9 is not a hugely fast car but well built & a no sensible owner would be swapping it for a Scoob :lol:. Neither are Supercars.

I was merely outlining what I think should make a supercar. Excitement and adreneline whilst driving. It's like travelling in a limo or a monster truck, what would you rather? ;)

I was merely outlining what I think should make a supercar. Excitement and adreneline whilst driving. It's like travelling in a limo or a monster truck, what would you rather? ;)

It's not just that though is it, I mean you can get plenty of excitement and adrenaline in modestly powered hot hatches.

It's not just that though is it, I mean you can get plenty of excitement and adrenaline in modestly powered hot hatches.

okay, okay... But hatches are designed to be fun. Most supercars are caped in luxary and ride 'enhancers'. I wouldn't want that, makes it boring.

what about the Nissan GT-R? Anyone seen the top gear reviews? Beat several supercars on a track, has launch control, etc. One thing i didnt like is that it limits you until you get on a track. Launch control could be good for merging onto highways.

And what about an agressive look? A bentley might have the same power as a lotus, but they have very different styles.

okay, okay... But hatches are designed to be fun. Most supercars are caped in luxary and ride 'enhancers'. I wouldn't want that, makes it boring.

An Enzo less fun than a Golf GTi :blink:.
It would be interesting what fun destroying 'goodies' you think these supercars have. Most will never drive a really fast car so only think a hot hatch is fun & fast. A Supercar is one most will never drive because of cost so how can you say they are not fun if you have not driven it. Im lucky ive driven some very fast cars & believe me they dont destroy the fun only give a buzz that cant be got in lesser cars.

Given a Standard Bugatti Veyron will do 100mph in 5.8/sec - I'm not sure what I would call sub 3 seconds... complete madness probably! ;)

Reactions: Teo
I would think there are different levels of Super car.
That Hot three American Cars @ 500+HP could br one.
then Audie, BMW, Merks, Jaguar another and so on.