What is a supercar

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What would you classify as a supercar? Is it down to the make or does the model come into it a lot?

Has to be fast and expensive but also a bit ridiculous
super cars are becoming to boring
even lamborghini (after audi take over) are becoming ALMOST sensible

Pagani zondas and gumpert apolos are real super cars

In my opinion anyway

why not? because of others people perceptions and snobbery. I remember a mate boasting about his sports car. Why is it a sports car I asked. "because it{s got 2 doors and a big engine he replied, well so did my work van.
Tha above cars are as good as any Italian exotica and in most cases better (reliable anyway). What makes a sports car then?

city car = 50 - 70 bhp
family car = 70 - 180 bhp
sports car = 180 - 400 bhp
SUPERCAR = 400 -700 bhp
hyper car = 700 + bhp

thats the catogery they fall in and around , not so sure on exact figures
their classed as factory settings

if you take a sports car and tune it to 600 bhp, dosent mean you have a supercar, you have a highly tuned sportscar

most muscle cars have 400 + bhp, their not supercars either

i think a supercar is classed as 1 when they have the following

looks
performance
price
2 door coupe
( not sure about this and im open to abuse lol)
it has to be N/A
and im sure about this, its performance has to be what it is coming from the factory

when i hear supercar, i think, ferrari, lambourginhi,
and heres 1, the honda nsx is classed as a supercar, and as much as i love honda, to me its a sports car (even thogh it can take some ferrari)

so toyota supra, nissan 300zx, and that sort are all sportscars
and last but not least

the new skyline isnt a supercar, its a highly tuned sports car

as i said im open to critisim, but thats my opinion of a supercar

This thread is about Supercar not Sports cars. And the ones you listed are no where near supercars.

Ok why not and what do you think makes a supercar personally? Is an NSX, Corvette Z06 or a 308 a supercar? if so why not the others I mentioned Snobbery I think.

Here's some ideas for a supercar

A super car is 'a car superior to all others'
1. An exotic appearance
2. Extreme, white-knuckled speed
3. World-class cornering and handling
4.supercars attract the attention and imagination of many
5. the spirit of the car
6. A supercar is something outrageously different to its contempories
7. extreme styling
8. Super Something Special - technically that set it apart from the crowd

more or less the cars i mentioned fill the above criteria

Someone else says this which makes some sense
Brand: Supercars are often very brand-centric (e.g. Ferrari) and a new brand wanting to join the list has to prove itself before its acceptance.
Styling: Supercars often feature groundbreaking styling elements. The Formula One-inspired Enzo Ferrari, for example, set a new styling direction for that company.
Rarity: Virtually all cars classified as supercars undergo a very limited production run, typically no more than a few thousand in total. For example, the Corvette Z06, though an extremely fast car, is mass produced and is very common, and thus is not sufficiently rare to be considered a supercar.
Focused design: Supercars are not designed to be practical transportation devices, with functionality varying widely between different examples. Many car body styles (including 2+2 coupe, station wagon, and pickup truck) make inherent tradeoffs of performance potential for utility. By this measure, extreme vehicles like the Dodge Ram SRT 10 are not normally called supercars (in the case of Dodge Ram SRT-10, it is classified as a truck, not car, so the car-based description would not fit anyway). While one undisputed supercar, the McLaren F1, featured seating for three (and had a number of useful storage spaces), performance was not sacrificed, but instead improved by the seating design: the driver’s central position lowered the vehicle’s polar moment of inertia and increased its turning ability.

Some say a supercar must be outrageously expensive, produced in limited numbers, scary to drive, good to look at but leary when you sit inside, very fast and must set a bechmark for something during its era (looks, performance, handling etc)

Last edited:
Ok why not and what do you think makes a supercar personally? Is an NSX, Corvette Z06 or a 308 a supercar? if so why not the others I mentioned Snobbery I think.

Here's some ideas for a supercar

A super car is 'a car superior to all others'
1. An exotic appearance
2. Extreme, white-knuckled speed
3. World-class cornering and handling
4.supercars attract the attention and imagination of many
5. the spirit of the car
6. A supercar is something outrageously different to its contempories
7. extreme styling
8. Super Something Special - technically that set it apart from the crowd

more or less the cars i mentioned fill the above criteria

Someone else says this which makes some sense
Brand: Supercars are often very brand-centric (e.g. Ferrari) and a new brand wanting to join the list has to prove itself before its acceptance.
Styling: Supercars often feature groundbreaking styling elements. The Formula One-inspired Enzo Ferrari, for example, set a new styling direction for that company.
Rarity: Virtually all cars classified as supercars undergo a very limited production run, typically no more than a few thousand in total. For example, the Corvette Z06, though an extremely fast car, is mass produced and is very common, and thus is not sufficiently rare to be considered a supercar.
Focused design: Supercars are not designed to be practical transportation devices, with functionality varying widely between different examples. Many car body styles (including 2+2 coupe, station wagon, and pickup truck) make inherent tradeoffs of performance potential for utility. By this measure, extreme vehicles like the Dodge Ram SRT 10 are not normally called supercars (in the case of Dodge Ram SRT-10, it is classified as a truck, not car, so the car-based description would not fit anyway). While one undisputed supercar, the McLaren F1, featured seating for three (and had a number of useful storage spaces), performance was not sacrificed, but instead improved by the seating design: the driver’s central position lowered the vehicle’s polar moment of inertia and increased its turning ability.

Some say a supercar must be outrageously expensive, produced in limited numbers, scary to drive, good to look at but leary when you sit inside, very fast and must set a bechmark for something during its era (looks, performance, handling etc)

The bit thats bold and underlined proves my point about the Supra and such Not being anywhere near supercar status.
And no the NSX is just another Honda to me I wouldn't class that as a supercar either.

The bit thats bold and underlined proves my point about the Supra and such Not being anywhere near supercar status.
And no the NSX is just another Honda to me I wouldn't class that as a supercar either.
i agree, and i love the nsx
the reason its not a supercar is it dosent have the bhp
it has everything else going for it ( looks, handeling etc)
but lacks the bhp of the likes of ferrari, lambos

the corvette zo6 is a supercar, it ticks all the above marks ive listed
the engine is built from scratch at the corvette factory

the dodge viper is ify, they take a huge engine from a truck and put it in the viper
thats cheating, why cant they make a specific 1 engine for 1 car like the rest of the manufactors who make supercars

If it's not mad enough, it's not a supercar. Simples.

For example, M5 is supercar quick but its about as exciting looking as a night at the opera and too practical. Hence...super saloon.

city car = 50 - 70 bhp
family car = 70 - 180 bhp
sports car = 180 - 400 bhp
SUPERCAR = 400 -700 bhp
hyper car = 700 + bhp

thats the catogery they fall in and around , not so sure on exact figures
their classed as factory settings

if you take a sports car and tune it to 600 bhp, dosent mean you have a supercar, you have a highly tuned sportscar

most muscle cars have 400 + bhp, their not supercars either

i think a supercar is classed as 1 when they have the following

looks
performance
price
2 door coupe
( not sure about this and im open to abuse lol)
it has to be N/A
and im sure about this, its performance has to be what it is coming from the factory

If it's not mad enough, it's not a supercar. Simples.

For example, M5 is supercar quick but its about as exciting looking as a night at the opera and too practical. Hence...super saloon.

ok i should have used M6 as this falls into prevec's idea of a supercar
400 bhp +
Looks good - not lairy as some supercars but i would have one
Coupe -2 door saloon
N/A

i would class mines as a family car - 4 door, 5 seats but under his power readings it makes mines a sports car

just wanted to bring up some contridictions to help keep things flowing

The power rating system is completely wrong for the very reasons Prevtec and yourself stated. Let's write that one off, shall we.

Where's this N/A thing come from btw? There are plenty super/turbo charged super and hypercars.

Um!! surely not mine has over 800bhp & its a Ford so that cant be right :bigsmile:.
as i mentioned in other posts,

the bhp has to be factory settings, its only then its classed what it is

your car has alot of bhp, but at the end of the day its classed as a family saloon
sorry mate, you dont have a hyper car