Buying a supercar on concept only?

RSmith

Torque Junkie
Car
Smart Fortwo Pas'n
Hi guys,

I'm doing some research into prestige / performance buying habits. Does anybody know of any cases where a supercar has been pre-sold before production? I.e. bought on manufacturer concepts rather than through testdrives / dealership viewing.

Would you consider it? If so under what conditions? eg. high exclusivity, new technology etc.

Many thanks in advance,

Richard.

I'm sure a lot have been sold before even being made. The Porsche 997GT2RS springs to mind as most recent one I can remember, £164k and all sold out instantly.

Sold before being made?? As in people bought on concept drawings only? Sorry to pick your brains but do you know of any other examples where this has happened?

I've found two currently... one track focused racer in New Zealand that pre-ordered all 8 that were going to be made, and this new dagger GT thing america are trying to flog as a record breaker.

The Focus RS500 sold out on a concept (supercar or not though?).

Quite a few cars have outsold the waiting list before the car was actually made.

they are a ***** to keep clean the 500s. they have a matt vinyl coat, which when cleaned with alot of products turns it to a satin finish

unless i was a sultan then i dont think i would buy one on a concept. how often do these change ?

Unless I had a heap of gold sitting somewhere safe, I don't think I would ever buy a car based on a concept alone. But then again, this has been known to happen. Personally, I think it's just way too risky!

the people who are after Super Cars are those that can afford a warehouse to store all the other cars in their collection, so buying a new one on the strengths of a concept or prototype isn't that hard to believe, the manufacturers will take orders and probably a down payment before even the molds are made for the sheet metal on car, most are done like this, it's only the mass market stuff that is made in bulk on the basis of how many they think they might sell.

Last edited:
I do not think I will buy one in one concept. But personally, I think it's too risky!

There will always be cars that sell before being made as long as there are people with loadsamoney

don't think I would ever buy a car based on a concept alone. But then again, this has been known to happen. Personally, I think it's just way too risky!