What do i need to service a car?

wizzer

Road Burner
Car
VW Golf 2.0 TDi
What should I do to service my car (my dads Polo CL, we share it). I want to give it a major service but it would be handy for a checklist and any tips.

Oil (will any do)
Spark Plugs
Filters?

I'm guessing this is the first time you have serviced a car :wink: . Here is your checklist in priority order.

Oil - Get the correct grade - see instruction book and note that sports (thin) oil can actually cause damage in an old or low performance engine. use a funnel if you have shaky hands - you don't want oil on the engine.
Oil Filter - I prefer to avoid non brand makes as the filtration is sometimes much worse.
Sump washer - Never use the old sump plug washer - keep a few as spares.
Plugs - Get a good quality brand with a copper core electrode (quads, splits and triples not really necessary for most road cars.
Filter - air filter - really easy replacement drops in.

Checks
Anti freeze - gravity guage will do this for you and top up.
Washers - top up washers with a screen cleaner (Not washing up liquid!)
Oil - Fill to top of mark on dipstick NEVER over or UNDER the lower mark
Tyres - check pressure, if low suspect a slow puncture and check thoroughly
Brakes - check there is some pad left and brake fluid level. (Do not leave the top off as it sucks in water vapour and this is really bad for braking.)

Tools
You'll need a oil filter removal tool (if sandpaper doesn't work)
Spark plug tool (tighten by hand then quarter of a turn under the wrench).
Spanner for the sump plug
Screw driver for the air filter housing (many have snap on clips instead!)

Ok guys so what have I missed?

Wheel Bearings - Chech for play
Suspension - Check shock abosorbers for leaks and wear (bounce each corner of the car and it should settle again within 3 bounces). Check all bushes and balljoints for signs of wear and play.
Lights - Check all lights (use a mirror placed behind the car to check rears). Dont forget the number plate light
Oil door hinges.
Steering - Check reck and track rod ends for play.
Exhaust - Check for leaks/severe corrosion and make sure allhanger rubbers are there and not split.
Seatbelts - Make sure all seat belts fasten and give them a good tug to ensure they lock.

Thats all I can think of for now

On modern cars you will often need some kind of digital tool to reset the service interval light.

If it has a cabin/pollen filter it's worth changing that as its often missed.

Look on ebay for a service kit with all the filters, sump plug and sometimes spark plugs. It will be cheaper than buying seperate.

Check transmission oil levels.
Grease any ball joints after cleaning the nipples and remove any excess grease.
Grease universal joints if they have nipples.
Rotate tyres and check/adjust pressures.

Tip always check that the old oil filter gasket comes off with the filter.
Tip Apply a light coat of oil to the new oil filter gasket.

Get the right oil. This is absolutely critical if your TDi is a PD unit. You MUST use VW 505.01 (fixed drain) only or VW 507.00 (extended or fixed drain) approved oil. There's lots of choice, I have settled happily on Fuchs Titan GT1 Pro C3.

VW is going down the one size fits all approach to engine oil with 507.00 being the current spec.

Last edited:
I would take the owners/ maintenance manuals out of the glove box and read the manufacturers recommended mileage recommendations. Usually they will have the intervals and which things that need to be done and at which mileage . As suggested I would use their fluid specs as a choice . Spark plugs I like to use whatever came with the car originally, as an example Motocraft in a Ford , Bosch in VW. The exception to this is when the car has been modified for performance .The oil and filter selection is very important to the life of your engine, do not opt for a cheap oil or filter. I cannot tell from looking at a canister oil filter how well it is made so I use my past experience in choosing , if I do not know I will pick whatever it cam with from the factory. Very rarely will you go wrong by using factory replacement parts and as you gain knowledge you will find products you like better. If you are going to maintain and own the car you are asking about I would purchase a vehicle specific shop manual ( Bentley is the shop manual I use for VW's ) , most lay out every procedure and the tools needed to accomplish the job before you get started. Congrats to you for taking the initiative to get out there and do it yourself.

My VW experience is one of extreme unreliability and expensive service parts. This leads me to think that VW parts are of poor quality so I lean towards third party items, although I do buy high quality ones, never the cheapest available.

I guess I have been lucky, my Passat 2012 TDI has over 100,000 miles, gets 46 mpg combined city/hwy and has not given me any problems so far. My 1966 bug has 8 times the HP (400 @ flywheel ) that it came with and is a joy to drive as my hobby car . I have not experienced any cheap priced parts from any manufacturer in many years,LOL . Quality of VW original factory parts is pretty good , now aftermarket parts are terrible from my experience. Since we have touched on it already I use OEM parts on the Passat for maintenance , just my choice.

I'd take Nissan, Peugeot or BMW over VW without hesitation. My Passat is just short of 150.000 miles.
The engine is fine, the rest if the car isn't.