Torque Cars

Volvo S40 2.0d tuning project

Discussion in 'Volvo' started by Greg1990, 8 April 2019.

1. Greg1990

Greg1990 Tuner

Pontefract
    Car:
    S40 2.0D SE sport
    Hi everyone..I have a Volvo S40 2.0d 2007..done the usual mods ie custom map,dpf/egr delete,full stainless exhaust and K&N panel filter pushing just over 180BHP..Just had an hybrid turbo made and a “drifting” friend reckons he’ll get a Skyline GTR Intercooler behind the grill with all the space that’s there.Has anyone done the similar?..just wondering if the injectors will need uprating and/or the clutch?..All advice much appreciated..

2. TCJBOLDIE

TCJBOLDIE Torque King

Brisbane
    Car:
    JB Starion
    Hi and welcome Greg|B

It seems that you have done all the right things so IMO the clutch should be fine IF it is handling the power ATM so when it fails then upgrade to a better clutch.

Does the car have a stock intercooler and if it does have you ever had it internally cleaned as over time there can be a build up of oil film residue in the tubes that will reduce the IC's ability to transfer heat and the air temps at the outlet will be higher leading to less power.Fitting a larger IC will help reduce the air temps and cold inlet manifold air = more power.

Re bigger intercoolers surface area is more important than thickness.

3. Greg1990

Greg1990 Tuner

Pontefract
    Car:
    S40 2.0D SE sport
    Thanks for your reply..We are ditching the stock Intercooler in favour of a much larger one to compliment the hybrid turbo.My cars stock power was only 136BHP and were hoping to achieve in the region of 250BHP with the new mods?..The clutch is coping well with the current 180BHP but it has done 130,000 miles and we are anticipating it may start slipping with an extra 70BHP?...Then there’s the injectors to consider,are we going to need bigger ones to cope with all that extra power?..It’s a voyage of discovery as I can’t find anyone who has done similar mods to their S40 2.0d for any hands on advice?..

4. obi_waynne

obi_waynne Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Deal, Kent UK
    Car:
    A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
    You will IMO need bigger injectors for this. Stock injectors on these flow ok up to around 200bhp, beyond this they can top out, and you'll get it running lean or flat spots. It might be worth uprating the fuel pump as well just to be on the safe side.

5. Greg1990

Greg1990 Tuner

Pontefract
    Car:
    S40 2.0D SE sport
    Thanks for your advice Wayne..just keep getting conflicting opinions,some say they won’t deliver enough fuel and some say they are good for 250BHP+?...I’m sure we’ll find out when we get her on the dyno..What bigger injectors do I ask for if needed,any ideas?...or will my “mapper” know that?...

6. obi_waynne

obi_waynne Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Deal, Kent UK
    Car:
    A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
    A new injector can do amazing things, as they get older though they drop off significantly. That's why the manufactures under specify the capabilities, to cope with them as they start to wear out. You need to be using a maximum of 85% of an injectors rated flow rate for safety IMO.

To get the injector size you'll need to know the power output, this gives the amount of air being pushed in, then it's a calculation with the air.fuel ratio tables to get your injector size.
    NB: Injectors are rated in cc (not cylinder capacity)

https://www.deatschwerks.com/fuel-calculators/fuel-injector-calculator is a handy rough rule of thumb calc.

Lunchmoney likes this.
  7. Greg1990

Greg1990 Tuner

Pontefract
    Car:
    S40 2.0D SE sport
    Thanks again Wayne...Seems I’ll have to wait until we get her on the dyno to ascertain what’s needed?..I’ll keep you all posted..Just had a look at that injector calculator site,it won’t let me select diesel as the fuel type?..lol..

Last edited: 9 April 2019
  8. Greg1990

Greg1990 Tuner

Pontefract
    Car:
    S40 2.0D SE sport
    Well all that waiting is finally over!..she’s off to the dyno tomorrow...booked in at 10:00...:)

9. Greg1990

Greg1990 Tuner

Pontefract
    Car:
    S40 2.0D SE sport
    The results are bittersweet!...195BHP!...the map sensor is only a 2 bar one and the hybrid turbo is maxing it out..looking at the graph from the new map and old map it is over 40BHP increase from 3,800RPM and carries on all the way to the red line..looking to find a 4 bar map sensor to let that turbo do its stuff..the journey carries on..lol

Lunchmoney likes this.
  10. Greg1990

Greg1990 Tuner

Pontefract
    Car:
    S40 2.0D SE sport
    Hi everyone..been a while..much done and improved since last posting..found a 3.1 bar map sensor..fitted that then we ran into fuelling issues above 4000RPM!...had the fuel pump and injectors rebuilt...Results...220BHP ..looking at fitting a meth injection kit next..

TCJBOLDIE likes this.
  11. WorkBus2

WorkBus2 New member

UK
    Car:
    V50 2.0d
    Hi Greg1990, been reading through your journey. And wondered if I could pick your brains. Currently running an '05 V50 2.0d custom map, ect....... just waiting on delivery of a hybrid turbo. Wanted to ask which MAP sensor you went for and also did you rebuild / refurb your injectors in the end? As I'm currently having issues with fueling.

12. Greg1990

Greg1990 Tuner

Pontefract
    Car:
    S40 2.0D SE sport
    Hello there...it’s been a long journey for me!..it appears no one tunes this engine beyond stage one maps..the stock map sensor is rated at 2bar which is pants..lol..I managed to find a 3.1 bar which believe it or not is an upgrade for a Fiesta 1.6TDCI..it’s a direct fit..give NB styling a call on 01747 445097..That’s where I got it from...have your fuel pump and injectors tested as they should provide adequate fuelling up to 300BHP plus...I had mine refurbished at AP diesels,give Danny a call on 01784 437228 and tell him Greg told you to call..I was having fuelling issues above 4000RPM,the rail pressure was dropping off..turned out the solenoids in the pump were faulty..if I hadn’t done any mods the fuel pump would have been fine for normal stage one stuff but because of all the mods ie..hybrid turbo, bigger intercooler and more boost it just couldn’t provide the fuel...we have now maxed the uprated map sensor out but my mapper says there’s no point trying to find a bigger one as the hybrid turbo will only churn another 15BHP out or so?..all in all it’s turned the car into a proper sleeper....hope that’s been some help..also just wondering..what sort of power are you hoping to achieve?..if you’re wanting more than around 235BHP you’ll need a bigger turbo than an hybrid...

Last edited: 24 September 2019
  13. WorkBus2

WorkBus2 New member

UK
    Car:
    V50 2.0d
    That's brilliant thank you, I'll definitely look into the map sensor. The turbo should be back next week with upgraded 56mm compressor wheel, bearings, shaft ect... and mapping after that. I've had all my injectors rebuilt so I'll focus on the pump. I'm aiming for 250bhp and 500nm so we shall see what the dyno brings.

14. Greg1990

Greg1990 Tuner

Pontefract
    Car:
    S40 2.0D SE sport
    AE turbo’s near Wakefield built my hybrid with exactly the same specs ...56mm compressor wheel and uprated bearings..they told me it would make no more than 235BHP!..any more and it would destroy itself..had I known that beforehand I’d have gone for a physically bigger turbo...but ye live and learn..lol..have you installed a bigger intercooler?..mine is an uprated Nissan skyline GTR intercooler..mine is doing well over 400ftlb of torque..

15. WorkBus2

WorkBus2 New member

UK
    Car:
    V50 2.0d
    Yes I'm running a stage 1 Airtec at the moment. With the custom mapping I'm currently running 210bhp and 450nm so 235 should be easily achievable. Turbo Developments are doing mine.

16. Greg1990

Greg1990 Tuner

Pontefract
    Car:
    S40 2.0D SE sport
    210BHP on the stock turbo?..AE turbo’s told me I wouldn’t see more than 190BHP and that would be pushing it!..lol..that’s why I had them build me an hybrid...who do you use for the dyno work?...I use Paul Murray “R S Tuning” up in Leeds...

17. WorkBus2

WorkBus2 New member

UK
    Car:
    V50 2.0d
    I use a company in Bromborough called RRR. Although I had the 222 run at a place in Mold. But that was as sketchy as......

18. Greg1990

Greg1990 Tuner

Pontefract
    Car:
    S40 2.0D SE sport
    I know what you’re saying regarding “sketchy” dyno results..Paul often tells me of people who have gone to him saying their car is doing 325BHP and when he gets it on the dyno it’s struggling to make 300BHP!..lol...keep me posted..I’ll be very interested to see what yours makes...also..I take it RRR do a lot of volvo’s then because you need a special lead to plug into the ECU’s on volvo’s to be able to read the software..

Last edited: 24 September 2019
  19. Mk2volvos40derv

Mk2volvos40derv Newbie

CumbriaUK
    Car:
    Mk2 volvo s40 2.0d
    I'm doing pretty much the same thing as you guys
    I've got a s40 d4204t with following engine mods
    Full custom 2.5" exhaust
    Demon motorsport gt1756 hybrid turbo
    Direnza focus st alloy intercooler
    2.5" intercooler pipes
    Egr delete
    Ram air Induction kit
    Creation motorsport catch can
    Focus st hardrace engine mounts

I'm booked in for mapping on a rolling road this saturday & wondering if anyone has found the best map sensor for achieving around 250hp? Got a short space of time to find 1 & if you've found any other components that will let go around this power? What other things should i be buying? bought the car standard 2 month ago so it's been a rush from 1 part to another,
    Any advice on parts needed is apreciated tia

20. WorkBus2

WorkBus2 New member

UK
    Car:
    V50 2.0d
    If you have a look back up the thread there is a number for NB Styling, I've just ordered the upgraded map for the fiesta 1.6 tdci which apparently is a straight fit

21. Greg1990

Greg1990 Tuner

Pontefract
    Car:
    S40 2.0D SE sport
    I’m running the 3.1 bar map sensor from NB styling..it’s coping well with 220BHP but my mapper said a 4 bar sensor would have been better but I couldn’t find one that would be a direct fit?...I’ve just installed a Snowperformance methanol/water injection kit..She’s going on the dyno next Thursday for a power run to see what extra power it’s added?..just by the feeling it’s got to be +20/30 BHP?..I can certainly tell a difference when it’s running!..the car is still pulling very strong past 120mph!..

22. TCJBOLDIE

TCJBOLDIE Torque King

Brisbane
    Car:
    JB Starion
    Past 120 mph hope it was not on a public road ?

Greg1990 likes this.
  23. Greg1990

Greg1990 Tuner

Pontefract
    Car:
    S40 2.0D SE sport
    No comment..lol.. :)

24. TCJBOLDIE

TCJBOLDIE Torque King

Brisbane
    Car:
    JB Starion
    IF you have followed my posts I get my speed fix on track and sprint days where there is medical assistance close at hand should I run out of road/ talent and crash and don't condone or encourage excessive speeds on the roads where there is oncoming,cross traffic people and animals, trees etc etc and assistance of any type hours away.

25. Greg1990

Greg1990 Tuner

Pontefract
    Car:
    S40 2.0D SE sport
    Sorry dad!...I’m 48yrs old..I’m a professional driver by trade and recreation..licensed to drive anything with a steering wheel!..we have a saying here in Yorkshire...”don’t tell ye Grandmother how to suck eggs “..look it up.. ;).

Mk2volvos40derv likes this.