Unfair speed limit changes

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
A stretch of road outside our town has just been converted to a 30 zone from 50 for about a mile. There are no houses, just open country roads. It is quite hard to drive along at 30 in this new zone especially when you are have been used to driving along at 50!

The police setup a speed trap on this road in the early hours of the morning.

I know they have a job to do but it seems pretty unfair to be targetting motorists in the early hours of the morning on a road with an "unfair" speed restriction in the first place.

Speed limit changes are not done just for the hell of it, despite what people think. It seems strange that an empty stretch of road has had a 30mph limit put on it, there must be a reason. Is there a stable complex nearby?

Have you thought about asking the highway authority why it was done?

I don't think anyone has a problem with the lowered limit. It's the stupid way it's denoted - ie. the absence of repeater signs that's unfair.

And over zealous policing such as Waynne has described

The absence of repeater signs should give you an idea of what the speed limit actually is. ;)

I don't think anyone has a problem with the lowered limit. It's the stupid way it's denoted - ie. the absence of repeater signs that's unfair.

And over zealous policing such as Waynne has described

The absence of repeater signs should give you an idea of what the speed limit actually is. ;)

I know. And it does.

But I still think it would make more sense to put up the repeaters.

Round here the local authority will spend thousands on meaningless NEW SPEED LIMIT IN FORCE signs and erect these. So why not just spend it on repeater signs and tell everyone, familiar with the road or otherwise, exactly what the speed limit is???? It works throughout the rest of the world.

I will pose a question to Bucks County Council's "Department Whose Function It Is To Find Reasons Not To Do Things". Every local authority has one of these departments.

they want to do that in lockerbie as well. extend the 30 out by around 1/2 mile simply because there is the cemertry. its an ex counciller that proposed them. thought she might have learned as she also proposed traffic lights when tesco went in due the the extra traffic it would generate - the land was previously a HGV rest stop and had wagons going in and out all day along with the other supermarket. - shame when the lights broke down she stuggled to get out her drive as they stopped working on sensor and defaulted to timers

The problem with arbitrarily extending 30mph speed limits is that it tends to devalue their effectiveness in place where they are necessary.

The phrase BUILT UP AREA needs to be defined by more than just the presence of street lighting.

And I do not hold with the single big 30mph sign being sufficient. Let's say I drive into Buckingham - I pass the sign, note and abide by the limit.

Now, on the way home - my wife drives. She's not seen anything at all to tell her that what was a 40mph limit yesterday is now a 30 limit. So let's do the sensible thing - put up repeaters and done with it.

thats part of why its not looking like its going through here. theres no street lighting and no housing. the only building between where the 30 ends now and where they want it to end is the lodge of the cemertry with is a museum of sorts to the air disaster

Talking of speed limit changes!,any one know the outcome of the proposed motorway speed limit being upped to 80,that went quiet and seemed to be forgotten about!!

Which is the speed most vehicles are travelling at in the outside lane anyway :)

Increase limit to 80 and vehicles will travel at 90, IMO.