Why are cars speed limited

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
So many cars are speed limited to around 150mph!

Do you think this is a good idea? As far as I know it's not a legal requirement but so many cars come with speed limiters.

Why don't we fit speed limiters to stop cars going faster than the accepted legal maximum speed in any country concerned?

So a year after release they (the manufacturers) can release a Super-Mega-RS-M-AMG-Brabus-BreakYourBank version that is faster :lol:

Not cynical in the slightest @Lunchmoney ! I do tend to agree with you.

It's what chip makers (intel mainly) have been doing for years, just giving us a slight increase in performance and power to keep us buying. Hopefully with increased competition we'll see CPU's surging ahead in performance terms.

It's when you pay another £4000 for no radio, lighter seats and parts removed and a few carbon fibre extras that makes me smile. You are paying more for less!

A combination of a gentleman's agreement between German car manufacturers and tyre ratings.
To run a car much over 155mph would require much more expensive tyres.

I believe Japan has a 112mph restriction on domestic cars.

which is 112 mph :D:D:D

Japans speed limits are officially in km per hour but you can buy a chip for peanuts that raises the limit to 180mph

A combination of a gentleman's agreement between German car manufacturers and tyre ratings.
To run a car much over 155mph would require much more expensive tyres.

I believe Japan has a 112mph restriction on domestic cars.
That's as really interesting point. I never thought of the tyre aspect but that makes so much sense.