I need a speed fix ASAP

TCJBOLDIE

Staff member
Car
2011 Honda FN2
It has been a few months since my last track day so an going to a "mid week sprints" at my local track in a week to see if I can at least match my PB from last year and hopefully gain a bit more confidence with my revised suspension settings.

This is where one is really trying to refine their cornering lines as well as threshold braking skills from hi speed braking slowing for corners in a non ABS car.

All the best and keep us posted with your progress. I hope you get your fix before the shakes kick in.

I am working on the principle of "use it or lose it " :) but some unkind people may say "how can you lose what you never had ":(

Sadly during the first session the turbo went into overboost :eek: and fortunately the EMS intervened and cut the fuel or ignition to save the motor.|B

I suspect that the hose from the inlet manifold to the ext gate may have developed a split due to proximity to the hot exhaust system as have had the same experience some years ago as IMO the only other way it can occur is a faulty diaphragm in the gate provided that the hose is still attached to the gate and the plenum.

I guess that is to be expected with a highly modified 30 year old car built on a very tight budget.

Last edited:
Problem found as I expected it was the manifold pressure hose to the ext gate that was cooked from heat and had crumbled so must see if there is some really HI temp 6mm ID hose available.

Installed a new boost hose to the gate 'went 4 a drive and still over boosting so back under the car and connected the bottom port to a compressor set @ 15 psi and connected the top port hose into a water bottle and when I applied air to the bottom port there was an instant spa bath bubbles in the water bottle:eek: so a replacement diaphragm is needed \B :(

In case you wonder about my test method it's due to industrial deafness as I may not have been able to hear the air escaping from the top port :)

My mate has turned up a 90mm extension that mates to the existing V band joints out of solid steel to get the gate a bit further away from the manifold runners to hopefully prevent this happening again.

Have arranged with my exhaust builder to fit it as he will need to shorten the gate exit pipe that merges into the dump pipe.

No screamer pipes for me \B \B

Last edited: