Tyres.

turbonutter69

TC ModFather
Car
Insignia SRI.
How long do your tyres last. Ie how many miles? My Focus has done nearly 7000 miles now and the tyres are still in great condition. Very little wear at all. Infact when they are clean they still look brand new.
So how long would you expect your tyres to last?
Just for the record the tyres on my car are Michellin Primacy. What have you got fitted?

Hi.

My father is upto 26k miles on the same tyres on his FreeLander II and there is still probably 4-5k of life left in them.

Personally I trash mine within 12-14k miles, but I go for very soft compound rubber, and drive them hard (track day recently too!)

I got through my last pair of fronts in less 7000miles but an Autosolo finished them off. There was still 3.5mm left, but the tyres had lost a lot of grip & were next to useless.

I got through my last pair of fronts in less 7000miles but an Autosolo finished them off. There was still 3.5mm left, but the tyres had lost a lot of grip & were next to useless.

I had this on my ContiSport Contact 3's. All the grip just went - the car just destroyed the integrity of the tyre.

Can't give an accurate figure but my last pair that required changing did nearly 20k and they were Hankook K104's. The replacement Toyo T1Rs have faired not so well at around 8k with some mms left, but I knew that as they are softer and get heavy track use. My current ones are too new to gauge, so will check back again when they have done some miles, Falken 452s, which get good reviews all round.

My next set of track tyres will be a different matter in R888s!

the Falkens 452 on the front have done around 3k and loko brank new. the bridgestone RE040 on the rears have done 20k and still legal might last another 3-4 months

My old Benz is on its third set of Michelin MX1 Energy (made in Thailand). They generally need replacement at about 70,000 km, which is quite reasonable I think. Not a bad compromise imo between grip, wear, and purchase price.

The longest lasting tyres I've had were the low-priced 'Elite' brand, made in New Zealand. These were a favourite of taxi operators, being of deep tread and hard compound, although in honesty they weren't toooo bad in the grip department. I fitted two sets of Elites to a Holden V8, replacing the second set at 198,000 km for a genuine average of almost 100,000 km per tyre!

Least durable was an admittedly hard-driven set of OE-fitment Bridgestone Potenza 225/50/16 back in the mid 1980s, on another Holden V8. Despite being rotated to even up the wear, they lasted just 19,000 km. As mentioned in previous posts, these tyres also went 'off' (after being overheated, I suspect) with much reduced grip and feeling very greasy and skatey from about 15,000 km.

Shortest lifespan ever goes to Pirelli Phantom motorcycle tyres, also from the 1980s, on the back end of my Ducati 900 bevel-head. I had many sets of Phantoms, from memory the average mileage on the rear was 2,400 km, with the worst being a mere 1,900 km - or just under one month on the bike! Btw those Pirellis were a top tyre at the time (very soft compound), costing twice as much as typical car tyres - albeit cheaper than hospital bills.

My last set lasted me one month because they're all now wrecked after the RTA on the 24th.

Mate how bad is the car? You gonna get a pic of it and pm it me?
And also i've said it before and i'll say it again make sure you look after yourself good buddy. :bigsmile:

Mate how bad is the car? You gonna get a pic of it and pm it me?
And also i've said it before and i'll say it again make sure you look after yourself good buddy. :bigsmile:

The car is a total loss (write off). I will get a picture when I go to fetch my last personal effects from it. It's being stored securely by Egerton's recovery at Baynard's Green near Bicester

I'd also appreciate some pics - it sounds like a bad smash and I am glad you were able to "walk away".

Now this is going to sound crazy. Clean the car and you will tend to get a better offer for it. It's probably not practical as it is in storage but if there is anything you can do to "tidy it up" then it can add some money to your final offer.

I'd also appreciate some pics - it sounds like a bad smash and I am glad you were able to "walk away".

Now this is going to sound crazy. Clean the car and you will tend to get a better offer for it. It's probably not practical as it is in storage but if there is anything you can do to "tidy it up" then it can add some money to your final offer.

I'm hoping they valet mine when it gets fixed. ;)

I don't know about 'sound crazy' but it'll look crazy too, washing a smashed up car! :cheesy:

But it does work in some instances. Not mine though. I'm hoping they wash my car not me.;) But for a dinted door and arch and a scuffed wheel I don't think they will write off a brand new car for that anyways.
Oh and what you doing up at the unsightly time?