Tommy's Project Zombie - Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34

I figured I'll make an official thread about this since I'll probably be taking massive amounts of photos of it anyways.
Some of you will recall I mentioned in my introductory thread, that I mentioned having a 1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 with bent valves that I had planned to rebuild. The problem turned out to be the crankshaft position sensor and timing belt tensioner, which in turn bent the valves. Whether I kept the car was in jeopardy as I got a 2004 Saturn Ion coupe to drive around in. After a while, I decided the car was too sentimental to part with and that I'd rebuild it. I just ordered a set of LQ1 heads (off a 1992 Lumina Z34) from Matt (GOT2B GM of w-body.com). This is the first purchase towards getting the car running again. I'll be using this thread to document the rebuild and resurrect this beast from the dead (hence the project name. lol).
For those that want power figures on this engine bone stock:
210 HP @ 5200 RPM
215 ft-lbs of torque @ 4,000 RPM
redline: 7,000 RPM
Power band: 3500-6500 RPM
Note*: This engine was heavily detuned from the factory so the automatic transmissions would survive behind it. advance the intake timing by 6 degrees, retard the exhaust by 6 degrees and you're good for 20-30 more horsepower. Play with the computer tuning (spark advance tables and such) and you can gain the same.

For those that want pictures of the car:
090211175201.jpg

081811065917.jpg

081811065851.jpg

081811065315.jpg

081211071709.jpg

monte5.jpg

072311131127.jpg

060111192255.jpg

Last edited:
That was January 12, 2012

Update- February 2, 2012

Heads have arrived from Canada. I have discovered that I had not bought normal LQ1 3.4 Twin Dual Cam heads, but rather heads from a manual transmission car. The difference? Manual transmission cars have heads set up for a slightly higher compression ratio. EPIC WIN!
Photos of the heads just seconds after I took them out of the box like a 5 year old on Christmas morning:
020212153919.jpg

020212154009.jpg

020212154427.jpg

020212154440.jpg

020212154451.jpg

I love the white lettering. I was dead set on those tires at the time but they weren't offered with white letters. So I painted them in myself with GM Olympic White automotive touch up paint.
The rims are actually bone stock. The one's that came on the car. I like them and hate them at the same time. can't decide whether I wanna change 'em or paint them to match when I eventually paint the entire thing metallic purple.

It's a V6 Chevy... What else could it be?
A grocery getter?

Most people around here don't consider it a muscle car. It's Front Wheel Drive, Unibody, has a V6 and has a fully independent rear suspension. These are things that are basically the anti-thesis of a muscle car here. This generation of Monte Carlo is constantly looked down upon because of this and it's bland looks. Also because there was a 4 door version called the Chevy Lumina, which was also V6 only, shared the same engine options and was just a family hauler here. However, the V6 I have in this wasn't a popular engine and is virtually unknown to the public. Only enthusiasts know about it and even then, a lot of them don't like it because it's so hard to work on. Most say that if anything, this generation of Monte Carlo is a sports car. I say it's inbetween sports car and muscle car. It handles great, but there's a lot of body roll. But the V6 actually will pin you in your seats and the noise of the exhaust has made quite a few people riding in it orgasm before.

Not much of an update here. Since my Saturn is taken care of -for now- I went into looking at part prices. I sold the original rims from my Saturn for $140, which will go towards a gasket kit for the Monte Carlo. Either later this month, or next month, I'm dropping the heads off at a local machine shop specializing in performance cars, called Thunder Performance in Milford, Connecticut. I'll be having the heads resurfaced, cleaned and all clearances and tolerances checked.

3.4 litre V6... How old are you!? :blink: :amazed:

I like the Monte Carlo... For some reason I was thinking of the Chevy from Qauntin Tarantino's Death Proof... :embarrest:

Hows the Ion getting on?

3.4 litre V6... How old are you!? :blink: :amazed:

I like the Monte Carlo... For some reason I was thinking of the Chevy from Qauntin Tarantino's Death Proof... :embarrest:

Hows the Ion getting on?

lol. I'm 22 years old. We don't get taxed here on engine size. We do have a gas guzzler tax but it's just $1500 added to the price of a new car.

The car in Death Proof I believe was a Chevy Nova.

The Ion's fine. Just had it aligned not too long ago and it corners on a whim. Rear ends a little twitchy at the limit though. May have to get a rear sway bar to settle it down.

lol. I'm 22 years old. We don't get taxed here on engine size. We do have a gas guzzler tax but it's just $1500 added to the price of a new car.

The car in Death Proof I believe was a Chevy Nova.

The Ion's fine. Just had it aligned not too long ago and it corners on a whim. Rear ends a little twitchy at the limit though. May have to get a rear sway bar to settle it down.

My apologies... I thought you were much younger! :embarrest:

I do like the Nova's... and I like that film, too. :)

Had a hard time getting the intake manifold off. There was a coolant hose connected to it under the throttle body I couldn't get to.
0729121401.jpg

Disintegrated timing belt. This isn't even half. I still have more to dig out.
0730121348.jpg

0730121347.jpg

0730121347a.jpg

And what's left of the timing belt.
0730121453.jpg

Also. I dropped the new 5 speed heads off at the machine shop for resurfacing, cleaning and tolerance checking.
0724120907.jpg

Looks good! Interesting updates! What sort of power can you extract from these engines?

These engines react amazing to simple changes such as messing with the spark advance tables in the computer. The good thing about this engine being a #!#!#!#!#!#!#!-child is many things work in the engine. A forged crankshaft is available from the newer GM 3500 pushrod V6 used in Chevy Malibu's and Impala's. Forged connecting rods can be used from the old school Chevy small block V8 (need slight modification to work. WOT-Tech offers already modified ones for use in the 60* V6 engine family). Forged Pistons can be versions of those used in Cadillac Northstar V8 engines. Lightweight lifters and heavy duty valve springs are available from WOT-tech. Headers have to be custom made (unless you own a 1996-1997 LQ1 car. Then you can order a set from Milzy Motorsports. The head design was changed in 1996.). These engines take very well to forced induction.
One guy I know took an Eaton M90 roots type supercharger from a GM 3800 L67 V6 and mounted it on his LQ1 (It was a 1996 Monte Carlo Z34. He had to cut a hole in the hood for the supercharger to stick up through.) and with just a computer tune, had over 300 FWHP. No internals or anything. Stock pistons and connecting rods. He did have to swap transmissions though as he blew through 5 of them very quick.
I know of another LQ1 owner, a 1991 Lumina Z34 5 speed, where the owner turbocharged it, along with a few other things, to the tune of 536 FWHP. These engines take to modification very well, but you have to use parts from other engines to do it because not many aftermarket parts are available specifically for this engine. The lack of aftermarket support is why many people look down on this engine and prefer the L67 supercharged 3800 pushrod 12 valve V6. That's not to say this engine doesn't have potential, it's just a lot more work. And money. As such, this engine (and the L67 3800 supercharged) are popular swaps into the back of Pontiac Fieros.
LQ1 Fiero vs L67 Fiero (The supercharged one is obviously faster):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2Y-D85XUlw

And an explanation of America's love affair with the 3800:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qcmFIOmiw8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmhp4VxJMms
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-uIua-S2NM

The 3800 is the LQ1 car's biggest domestic competitor here with it's easy to work on nature, easy mod-ability, classic 90* 12 valve OHV pushrod design (a design that BTW, dates to 1962 and is lightly related to your Rover V8 engine, which was originally a Buick design to begin with). It's because of this V6 that the LQ1 has little to no aftermarket support. As such, the 2 engines have created sectionist in the GM V6 community. 60* extremists who relent the 3800's unbalanced 90* design, and 3800 supporters, who refuse to drive anything but a 3800 and harp the 60* cars any time they can. You can guess which side I'm on.

procrastination. This engine's reputation has had me jarred for a while plus I do have other responsibilities. I should be able to start on it again this weekend.

I also have been doing research on how to go about removing these heads and found something that pissed me off. There are 2 ways to go about it. I can either remove the entire engine (which I am NOT set up to do. not enough room nor do I have the proper tools) and then remove the heads. or undo some of the mounts, force it to rotate forwards and then remove the heads. Sounds fine until you realize the mounts aren't meant to rotate and rotating them can destroy them. Also against me is the fact there are many engine specific tools I don't have that are rare and expensive.

The reputation of the first-ever American-designed and built DOHC V6 sure is earned. ugh.

some pix of my Buick Grand National, tossed the V6 turbo in the junk, in went an LS3 6.2L with 4L80E automatic, 3.42 rear end LSD, and it is fast, wanna race?

lotsa suspension mods.

rear veiw is all you will ever see!

Attachments

• buick &cute dogs 015.jpg
    buick &cute dogs 015.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 0
  • buick &cute dogs 013.jpg
    buick &cute dogs 013.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 1
  • buick &cute dogs 010.jpg
    buick &cute dogs 010.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 1
  • buick &cute dogs 008.jpg
    buick &cute dogs 008.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 1
  • buick &cute dogs 016.jpg
    buick &cute dogs 016.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 1
Is that the same as this...Just something I love about the shape of these things.

Attachments

• vv.jpg
    vv.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 1
Same platform. Grand National and 1980's Monte Carlo's used the GM RWD G-body. My Monte Carlo rides on the FWD W-body that replaced both the RWD G body and the FWD A-body. The Grand National was notably the fastest of the G-cars with its turbocharged 3.8L pushrod V6. The W-body cars weren't as fast initially as the G-cars but that quickly changed. The W-cars were always better handlers with their fully independent and modern suspensions. The first performance W-car was the 1989 Pontiac Grand Prix Turbo, with a 3.1L turbocharged V6. Not as fast as a Grand National, it was still notably quick. The Grand Prix Turbo was discontinued in 1990 and in 1991, new performance W-cars were launched, all powered by the LQ1 3.4L DOHC V6 I have. The 3.4L was naturally aspirated but made more power (+5 HP) than the turbocharged 3.1L. The 3.4L was discontinued in 1997 when mechanics complained how hard they were to work on. W-body performance wasn't taken seriously until 1997 and the second generation W cars (the first released being the 1997 Pontiac grand Prix GTP) were released with a supercharged 3.8L (an evolution of the 3.8L turbo used in the old Grand National). The new engine made the W-cars just as quick as the old Grand Nationals and the W cars only got faster from there, notably in 2005 when the cars finally got a 303 HP 5.3L V8 powering the front wheels as an option.
1989 Pontiac grand Prix Turbo
1990 Chevrolet Lumina Z34 prototype (Almost identical to the production model, the difference between this prototype and the production car was that the production car had different gearing, which dropped the 0-60 time to 7.2 seconds and 1/4 mile time to 15.3 seconds)
gen 2 W-body 3.8L cars
2005 Pontiac Grand Prix V8

BTW ronbros. That LSx powered Grand National is an abomination and should be crushed. How DARE remove the turbocharged V6.
Grand National track test

Last edited:
This is a classic. Thanks for sharing this car here at http://www.torquecars.com