Tips?

fallingxxskies

Car
'06 Chevy Cobalt
Hey everyone, I just got a new car(Chevy Cobalt) and I'm trying to plan out what I'm going to do with it. I'm looking to do everything performance-wise that I can for it. I already have a couple things in mind but I would like some input or tips on what I would be able to do to get the most power that I can.

Hello there and welcome, nice to meet you.

How much were you looking to spend on your car?

Will it be used as a daily car or are you just saving it for the weekends?
How important is it that the car retain it's reliability and economy?

It would be helpful to know a bit more about the car, what engine size is it and do you know the engine code?

Thank you.

I'm not too concerned about the money. I would prefer to start off with cheaper things, but I'm willing to spend just about however much I need to. I would also like to retain some reliability.

It's a four cylinder, but I am not sure of the engine code. I can look for ti when I'm back with my car.

go nascar style
dump the engine you have at the min and get a 350.ci 5.7 ls6 engine
race set up loads of power for you lol

and welcome

I had a 99 Chevy Cavalier the first things I started with were, intake I put an AEM intake on it, than upgraded the exhaust to sound quieter, than me and some friends fixed it up with a 20 shot of Nitrous. Depends on what you're using the car for mine was only driven at the track.

The best mods for a car engine are as follows.
Internal work yields the biggest gains, head work like porting polishing and 3 angle valve jobs will maximise the airflow and raise the power.

If you want to go to the max then cryo treat the block, get it rebored and look into blueprinting and balancing as well.

Bigger valves are an obvious addon but not all engines are suitable as it depends how close together the OEM valves are.

A fast road cam will yield good power gains, especially in the top end of the rev range. Don't go mad though a profile of up to 270 degrees will give the best gains without the engine becoming cammy.

The most popular power mods are induction kits (which are questionable as power mods but they can sound nice if that is your sort of thing) and sports exhausts with sports catalysts or decats.

To keep the car legal I'd recommend a sports catalyst rather than a decat.
The last mod should always be a remap as this will allow you to fully realise the power gains on offer from your mods.

It's worth having a read of the articles on www.torquecars.com/tuning/ for more information on these mods and what the terms mean.

Oh wow I didn't even think of that, thank you. Thank you both Prince and Waynne.

This may be a stupid question but I was doing some reading and it was not recommended to put a turbo on my engine. Would anyone be able to expand on the reasoning behind it?

Oh wow I didn't even think of that, thank you. Thank you both Prince and Waynne.

This may be a stupid question but I was doing some reading and it was not recommended to put a turbo on my engine. Would anyone be able to expand on the reasoning behind it?

I don't know exactly because I don't know much about Chevrolet engines, but some engines don't mix well with turbos and work much better with superchargers, which would be an option for you.

Assuming you don't want to just buy an SS, you can always take the engine from one. The SS bodykit would improve things looks wise too.

Make one more post, then you can add some pictures to this thread.

That's what I was starting to think of doing. I've also found out the gm offers the supercharger, inlet manifold and the modified software for a discounted price. So I was going to compare prices of the manifold and supercharger from the junk yard with this.

its to do with the compression of the engine. the turbo pushes more air in so is compression more air in a smaller place. the resulting high pressure and raised temp (caused by the compression stroke raising the pressure) will cause pre detonation aka knocking.

some engines can handle low boost on smaller turbos but the cost in fitting makes normally makes supercharging a more cost effective option.
some blocks are too week and will just blow itself up.

there are options avalible to lower the compression and strength allowing you to run high boost. but then you need to look at stronger clutches etc