Lockdown car care tips and reminders

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Judging by the feedback and emails I'm getting there are some common issues cropping up due to cars being used less in lockdown.

I just wanted to start a thread to provide some helpful tips and pointers so people know what to look out for and how to avoid potential problems.

The car is being used less, and for some even returning to work are finding they are using the car much less.

Things seize up.
Doors and door locks, particularly rear doors and rear seat belts can seize up.

Just opening and closing all the doors and using all seat belts once in a while can help stop these seizing up.

Petrol cap release are locking up or not working. Again some find that they are only fuelling the car every couple of months rather than every week and this regularly used cap release is starting to sieze up on some cars.

Carbon build up in the engine through short journeys, keep the car engine clean by making sure it warms up and go for a spirited drive once a week to keep everything ticking over nicely.

Low oil, water and tyre pressure levels. We may fall into the trap of assuming a car which is used less doesn't need to be checked, but that is just wrong thinking. Don't rely on warning lights but regularly check all the levels in your car.

We have also had reports of brakes binding on or sticking when applied, again try to use the car regularly to prevent this from happening.

Fuel does degrade over time so it is a false economy to keep a full tank assuming the fuel will be fine 5 months down the line. It is much better to top up weekly and keep the tank levels lower.

One guy I spoke with didn't even realise his rear door locks had siezed up until I mentioned that it happens and it's worth checking them out.

If you have any other tips to pass on please post them in here.

Hi Waynne,
The one that springs to mind is the handbrake. Unless absolutely necessary to apply it, it's an idea to leave it off & select a gear instead, I always use reverse. Even after having the car washed, if it stays put for a while, the handbrake really does grab the discs.
Standing by for flack!!!

Sounds good. If it were me I'd leave off the handbrake and put in gear too but I'd also chock a rear wheel so it won't move.

Add me to that list

PLUS I never use the hand brake when back in the pits after hot laps as that will / can lead to warped discs due to a localised hot spot where the pads keep the temps high as the rest of the disc cools down

I also push the car forward a bit so the pad and disc are not in the same spot for a more even cool down.

Thankfully we don't have much of a rodent problem over here in the Uk but I can see how that is a real pain, there are plenty of areas to hide and nest inside the engine bay.

Great tips, these all make sense. i'd add that making sure the tyres are turned so the car sits in a different spot is quite important.