Tips for buying car?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What tips would you like to pass on to people when they are out buying a car?

Here are a few of mine:-
1) Negotiate price before you turn up.
2) Check for service history and ensure that previous owner has owned car for previous year at least.
3) If it is a private sale, phone and say "im calling about THE car" a trader will have to ask which one.
4) Never check bodywork in the wet.
5) Test drive for at least 15 minutes, ensure that you are insured.
6) Check for black, white or blue smoke on acceleration on a warm engine.
7) make sure the engine is cold when you start it in case the seller has warmed it up to cover up faults.
8) Get a HPI check and make sure the car is not on finance or previously written off.

I'm sure there are lots more - feel free to add your tips to this thread.

Check that all the seems are in line if not you can bet its been in an accident. Also look underneath for evident of welding or recent work.

Do what i do and take a mechanic with you! My cousin comes with me and is a great negotiator. I just bought a ulysse (for driving my 7 dogs about) and he got £800 off the price and when we checked glass's guide before we went (yeah i paid £2.95) it was already £500 below the low estmate of the book price, so got a great deal! :lol:

Find out how long the previous owner had it. If it was only a little while there is probably a good reason why.

If a deal seems too good to be true before negotiation/haggling, it usually is.

If mileage is good for the year, ask to see some history. MOT's with crresponding mileages will do. If history cannot be shown, mileage is probably not true. And dont be fooled by digital displays that "cannot" be clocked. They can.